0 comments

General

Hi my name is Zoe and I love ice-cream…

Frankfurt is not very far from Kandy’s place and she loves strolling to that beautiful art arena till all movement was restricted to one block. Tall feet, skinny but lovely…lovely and tiny. Yeah, the last description is fine. She is quite the friend at school and at home and that is always confusing since she loves parroting. Anyway, the neighborhood is fond of her, especially if her pearl white teeth show them any sign of approval.


So a celebrity is always a celebrity?

Bongo is a ten-foot prick near the Kandy’s. His shoes are always funny but he is a clown and the neighborhood loathes his tastes; from music to oddity. Because oddity is another hobby of his.


Nemesis.

That is what they call Bongo since the whole community's in Kandy’s pot of charm. Every day is quite intriguing especially if you look out your window out to the rabble of fallen maple. There seems to be a squirrel commanding a troop of raccoons and a bat late for the cave flight hanging on one of them trees.


Hey, what’s your name?

“Bongo, we – reach – the block – just – at Stevenson’s family.”

That must be his father Richard cutting his left hand with his right. He just pumps fists to warn his son like any good father and the people love him even when he offers directions with feet – by pointing his legs for a spare compass. (If you ask directions chances are you never carry a compass.)

“Bring your bike home with a puncture. We will fix it and you.”

And that, rightly the mother Massimo, and rightly so. She cares and cares and cares…till you care! She also has a bandana for house chores and a cane for thieves and burglars too. Says the prison is filled to capacity, the rest need some good ol’ whacking and the association of parents makes her chair-lady every year.


You’ve have lost a tooth…after deciduous. You’re bluffing, right?

The way to the woods is down every cobbled stones from the first block of Mama Yong to Stevensons bushy yard. Pass a small bridge as you watch salmon and tadpoles, then read the ‘Be Silent and Read’ mahogany signpost before waving good morning to Sheriff Katana and you will assuredly be heading to the grizzly bear in Parma National Park.


Shamefaced                         

“Today every man will know I am a man and every woman will know that I am a man” If you ever read Bongo’s mind again don’t tell. He has a camera that can stream and upload.

“Look at that pageant queen stride on our tuff”

“Here are the cookies you ordered sir.” The polished nails of Kandy made all her deliveries five star…Starbucks. And boy did you watch her step on every case meticulously even though she had gumboots!

“Doesn’t it come with cream?” Richard, directive Richard.

“Dear, bother looking at the date. Its mid-month in quarantine. And look, she even wore her mask. You know Bongo don’t know germ and virus. Whichever dirt is they all evade him, somehow.”

Kandy did not know which was compliment, but she had done filling her piggy bank for the week. Anything else could wait. But Mrs. Richard was screening her pure face and it is obvious what she was looking for.

“C’mon in. There’s the soap and water.” Just at the entrance. “Oh, let me get another one. Dear didn’t I ask you to bring an antiseptic.”

“And many other things that were out of stock.”

“Never mind him. I told him a week before the curfew and the lockdown.” And there, a shimmer of tooth in Kandy – and Massimo was pleased.


“Chief, there’s a mischievous boy in town.” And he went after the boy.

Ropes are tied on poles. and on shoes too. At the front yard there was one just perfect for a trip, a fall, a topple, a smear in the face. The list of what could go wrong is just endless or was this a squirrel trap for a raccoon? 

Down below a cactus plant was a camera, Bongo’s camera. He liked making videos and clips which he presented at school symposiums and competitions. He nearly won every time but if they don’t like you second place is prestige. So, he could boast of silver medals without making a frown for not winning thus making you a conspirator with the panel of adjudicators.

“You, know my boy is sharp with moving objects. You should teach him some time to bake. I know he’s not friendly…”

“Huh?”

“And you will get to see how orderly he is in the kitchen.” Mothers know their sons, ______? (½ mks)

Sipping sage in a clear cup Kandy kept tugging on her polka dress. Somewhere in the pocket was a phone. She could not wait to tell her BFFT on the crazy deal that had won her an entrance to Massimo’s house.

Yes, yes. To get into that woman’s house was the envy of Bounty Street. Sherriff found Bongo with other boys pouring powder in the stream. After a thorough investigation, it was concluded upon that salmon were endangered species; just after thorough investigation outside Massimo’s house.

Kendrick High School’s principal had a matter to establish: was Bongo liable for missing lenses in the lab and Massimo’s backyard had the answer.

Even the famous baseball player Greblar (with an ‘r’) had an issue with Richard (with an ‘a’). They sat at the porch arguing out their point of views till they finally gobbled down lemonade.

You had to be a fire brigade to enter Massimo’s house, therefore only when fire was on.


Monotony is the root of all songs…sang a soloist at opera.

Deep in thought and provoked by the beauty of the oil portraits and earthen ware on the walls, Kandy could only assume the day was kindly spent and gone. She was quietly reflecting.

“That is not an original Mona Lisa. We had a handy man paint one just like the masterpiece, and my, didn’t he do a replica.” Happy thoughts crossed Mrs. Richard as she recalled how her husband had doubted the fractious handy man only to mesmerize after, even handing him a tip.

“And what is that horse with wings?” Softly asked the visitor.

“That is a wonderful exhortation of natural and imaginative treasures. A horse is strong yet flamboyant. In its strength a horse soars to every height achievable”

“Awe.” Massimo was a high class citizen with a high class taste able to market any object. Kandy absorbed the bright silver colors of the wings which rose from a lofty horse in multicolor. She could have sworn having seen the sky once with such an aura and hue of colors: purple, turquoise, orange, pomegranate, dandelion…it just lit with one pigment yet mixed with others elegantly. And there and then she saw herself riding a beast in glorious gallop wearing a flawless drape into a fleeting gale.

“I must go now Miss…”

“Just call me Simo and I’m glad you came by today. Please pass by once again when your parents spare you the chance.” Mrs. Richard had the door for her heroine as she extended an invitation.

“Greet Mrs. Wilson for me pretty…”

“Tell Wilson that I’ll need his mower tomorrow.” The husband with active arms.

“Good afternoon Mr. and Mrs. Simo.” She said as she winked. There it was again; a perfect glow of enamel and the two adults were scrambling to get her down the steps.


What is your occupational hazard? Everyone has.

Pow! A petticoat went down the mud pool. It all looked dramatic but again, it was a petticoat that went down the mud pool. Kandy had it in her hand, seemed the clouds had cleared up. Upon lowering her right leg towards the staircase she tripped and let her coat fly across the lawn. On the left just up the balcony her right hand grabbed the banister but she was pricked by a cactus leaf letting go abruptly, leaving her to fall headlong on the wood and gravel.

Just at the stumble, Bongo was up one step waiting in hands to catch a fallen angel. He smiled in despair for the teenager was not a twig; he almost stumbled with her.

“Oh my...!”

“Are you fine Kandy?” Mr. Richard called as he skipped the steps barefoot. He was beside his son within a wink lifting the white petticoat out of ruin. It had turned a glossy chocolate piece in minutes. “Don’t worry. Let me toss it in the washer right away. It will be sparkling in minutes!”

“What happened?” Massimo was in her boots chasing a victim of accident. It looked like an accident but she still had to ask, as a mother.

“Thank…. hic…. thank…. you” Kandy face was turned towards bubbly Bongo as Simo wiped her face drying of the hot rolling tears.

“I think I will go now Miss… I will come for the coat tomorrow as I bring the mower.” So she had made her resolution quickly because she did not want to embarrass herself anymore. She wondered how she got into the arms of Bongo, Bongo of all roller coaster suitors. How, could she face him thereafter?


School’s dismissed. But here’s some homework.

“Perfect. Just a final rendering. Maybe I should put a Chopin tune to the slow-mo frame first.” Bongo had his evening drooling on the capture and the thought of holding the Kandy. Soon he would have his Clark moment spread to the world. He was a brave man.

Please Sir, may I have some more? More…!

As soon as she made her way through the kitchen door, Kandy was running to the bathroom upstairs squashing heavily her rubber sole.

“Kandy’s home! Hi Kandy. Mommy said I could share your room for the night if I want to, and I want to.”

“What are you saying Sher? Did she say you could come to my room if you want or if I want!” Kandy shouted above the soaking water in the bath tub.

“She said, ‘you could share if you want to.’”

“Who. You or me.”

“I think she meant ‘you’, in that case, me.”

“Urgh. Just wait till I dress.” Her skin was healing as the steam rose in the room filling the door with fogginess. She had a million reasons to be there, therefore she took her time.


And Graham Bell stood demystified by how the metal couldn’t get of his chest. They had lost an honorable man.

“Sher, where’s my phone?” someone was about to get it.

“I, don’t know. Where is it?” and another would know better.

“For heaven’s sake I’ve told you not to play candy crush when my phone’s charging.” Kandy lifted the curtain of her room. Behind it a silhouette Sher was chewing gum with a smart phone. She snatched the phone and in anger it slipped.

“Here it is. Don’t be mad at me. I only wanted to feel good.”

“If it’s not that you have rescued the phone you stole from crashing; you would be on the floor with that candy in your mouth. Now get out and let me dress.”

“Sorry.” Sher was really embarrassed for a seven-year-old. Then her countenance lit suddenly. “Sandra was calling.”

“What did she say...Did you pick it?”

“Nope.”

“Look me in the face and say that again.”

“Kinda”

“What do you mean ‘kinda’… You know what, just get out my room.”

As soon as her little sis left she was already dialing in her bathrobe, oblivious of the chill. Sandra never answered so, she went on to put her blue sweatpants and a heavy jumper on top of a baggy t-shirt with a label of the Green Movement.


“We need not look into the number and type of creams that go underneath the clad. Let’s give the men a break.”

“You got it wrong dear” (Conversations that capture hearts)

Dinner was ready and the clangs of the vessels were calling onto empty stomachs.

“Mummy. Kandy won’t let me in her room.”

“Is that so.” A plate was placed strategically where Mr. Wilson would sit across Mrs. Wilson and Brad would sit with Sher to the left of their father while the beau would have the right side all to herself. She had a lot to say hence a space for words and actions would suffice.

“Every one’s home.”

“Daddy, Daddy.” Sher tagged at the cuff of her father’s cream polka shirt.

“And what a timely arrival. Is that veal, because I smell meat with mint in it.” The man was jovial. It seemed the government had reattributed his legal authority at Senate.

“By the way. Have you checked the video that’s doing rounds” Brad was going to dine today; he did it in intervals.

“Which one?” He had sparkled the attention of everyone.


Hit play then click on the maximize icon.

“Is that Clark.” Sher was squinting over the adults to see the tablet’s screen yet she was closest to her brother.

“Shush!”

“Why are we watching movies from the first century. Marvel has better ones now.”

“Just watch Sher, or let me have your seat”

The iconic tune for superman was over and the next screen play got everyone by astonishment. Bongo was racing on a green patch of grass in deep contrast to the mud pool he steeple chased almost diving to a falling queen. Kandy had a tiara on her crown as she tripped over glittery stilettos. She had a pair of stilettos on her long feet while Bongo was barefoot!

A Chopin waltz played at the end as Bongo spun Kandy out of the stairs into his arms with the video fading in bokeh and the titles: Lois and Clark for a salute.

 

 

 

 

April 24, 2020 22:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.