2 comments

American Fiction Sad

John sat in his car in front of the home he and Diane built together. From the outside the home was as ordinary as the others on the block. On the inside he thought he was building love, hopes and dreams. What was on the inside was anything but love.

As he sat in the car he wondered when his life changed, his anxiety took over as he was trying to narrow the time frame and became worse when he was wondering what and why. All he knew was he had to get out, had to walk away, had to leave it all behind and say goodbye once and for all.

John was a simple man. He woke each morning with anticipation of the day. He woke his family with tender and care. He knew they were all like his wife, not a morning person by far. He made sure coffee was perking, back packs were filled with lunch, completed work and always sticky note wishing luck on a test or school event he was sure to miss. Before he left for the day, not a dish was in the sink, no clothing on the floor or looming in the dryer. The family pets were fed, walked and resting in their crates. Dinner was prepped or defrosted. He loving emptied his wallet for any and all daily need and or wants. Before pulling out from the driveway he always started his wife car to ensue it would be the perfect climate for whatever the outside temperature was.

His day would be extra if he received a "thanks dad" or an "I love you hun", but went just fine knowing his families needs were met.

When down to waking one child for her last year of school, back packs were no longer cool, notes were an embarrassment and it was a crime for Dad to invade privacy by looking over anything pertaining to school. All that he cherished doing for his wife became a demand. Cars were now started with a push of a button from within the house and Starbucks more desired. Money became a want and needs were met by Dad on his way home from work.

While in the grocery store dragging his tired bones up and down each isle trying to read the text list, his phone dropped out of his hand. He heard the sound of it hit the tile floor just before he hit the same floor. He woke in an ambulance, a young EMT was telling him he had a heart attack asking who she could call. He asked her to look through his phone and call wife. She informed him his phone was broke asking for the number. HIs mind raced trying to remember a number, any number all he could blurt out was it's under wife. When he cam to again as he was being wheeled urgently towards an operating room a nurse was asking who she could contact for him. The only number he could remember was his office. The nurse informed the receptionists of the emergency happening requesting she contact any family.

Terry the receptionists that has worked for John for 25 years was by his bedside. Soon as John began to stir she poured him some water holding the straw to his mouth as he sipped. His eyes were desperately searching the room. Terry knew what he was searching for, with teary eyes and shaking hands she tenderly stroked his hair telling him she was sure they would be there at any moment.

Each day John would walk into his office Terry would be sitting at her desk looking perfectly put together. Not one hair on her mahogany head was out of place, her make up looked as fresh in the evening as it did first thing in the morning. A matching blazer to her skirt carefully placed on the back of her chair revealing what looked to John as the softest blouses in many shades of pastel accented by demure jewelry. Her heeled shoes were purposely fitted with rubber bottoms so not to cause distraction as she moved about the office. Many of the men noticed the curvaceous way her body naturally sashayed. John noticed the way he never had to ask her for anything, finished contracts were always on his desk.

Through the years they transitioned together from type write to computer, from office memo to e-mails and adjusted perfectly to working through smart phones. While transitioning John and Terry went from boss secretary relationship to genuine friends. She would comment how appreciative she would be if she could find a man to treat her half as good as he was to his family. He seriously would question why she has not married, she would jokingly tell him because she has not found the man that could measure up to him. John never for a moment thought she was serious, she never wanted him to know just how serious she was.

Celebrating her 15 year working for the company he noticed how comfortable he was around her. John asked her to stay at the office with him as he worked on a contract. She dutifully stayed. When her favorite dinner was being delivered she realized it wasn't just work she was asked to stay for.

John confessed to Terry how he was dreading going home. He knew he stayed in the marriage for far too long. He went on to tell her how he would always love the idea of the family he thought he had. Broke down when he revealed how for many years he knew he was in a loveless home. He questioned what he could do to change the situation. Terry wanted to scream and tell him he was more than enough, but she calmly told him there was nothing he could do alone. Leaving the office that night he told Terry he was going to ask his wife for a divorce and force his now grown children to fend for themselves.

Years went by he remained in a loveless home she remained his loyal single top paid secretary.

The doctor was discussing the seriousness of the care John will need when he his released and Terry was assuring him she would have all necessities in place. John again searched the room, this time resting his eyes on the softness of Terry's.

For the first time he noticed her hair was down and looking somewhat matted, her makeup looked a bit too warn and her attire as casual as his wife on a weekend. He noticed her still curvaceous but subtle sashay as she walked over to the the doctor to show him something she ordered for his comfort from her smart phone.

As she sat by his bedside he glanced to the window where get well balloons were deflating and the many cards were bunched together. Nothing stood out alerting a caring family was worried. He questioned Terry which was from his family. She could not hold her tongue, she snapped her answer telling him not one ballon or card was from anyone of those ingrates. Continuing to tell him she received many e-mails and bank invoices requesting money transfer from his account to theirs. She confessed she has not honored their request. His first thought was to scold her, instead he remained silent out of fear his voice would be taken over by his emotion. She saw him fighting back the tears, she leaned over him stroking his hair. He could not refrain he leans his head into her bosom and sobbed.

Terry walked along side John as the nurse wheeled him to the door. She helped him into her car. Took him to the grocery store where his car remained. John assured her he was fine to drive, that he needed to do this. She understood yet her heart broke for him. As she helped him into his car he tenderly grabbed her arm. John thanked her for all she as done and told her he had one last request, she instinctively took her phone from her purse. He looked deep into her eyes asking her to change the address of whatever the doctor had her order. She lovingly looked back into his informing him it was her address. She continued to tell him all he needed to do was finally say goodby, she was going to take care of him the way he derives for the rest of her days.

April 15, 2021 20:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

KED KED
16:34 Apr 21, 2021

Nice story! You really did a great job describing how hopeless he felt. How he went from devoted and involved father and husband to being ignored and almost unwanted. How sad! Thanks for sharing this :)

Reply

Sue Catrama
15:29 Apr 30, 2021

thank you :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.