0 comments

Mystery Drama

Minnie woke up at 6:30 a.m. like she had done everyday for as long as she could remember. Minnie rolled out of bed, showered, dressed, ate breakfast, then went to work almost robotically; as it was the same routine every day.

Minnie got in her car and began her drive to work. On the highway the roads were more congested than usual, but they were still moving; just slowly. Minnie thought ‘Oh no, I should have left earlier, I am going to be late for work’.

Minnie was frustrated at the stop and go of the traffic, until finally they were all just stopped.

"Oh great, my boss is going to be mad, if I make it in to work at all.” Minnie said aloud to herself.

Minnie was tapping on her steering wheel, wondering what was going on, when she saw a man running toward her car. The man ran beside her car, and as he was passing her he tapped the car and screamed to her to run.

At first Minnie thought he was crazy, but then she saw other people running from their cars as well. Minnie decided that it might be in her best interest to run as well, so she got out of her car to do so. However, curiosity got the better of her so she looked forward to see what everyone was running from.

“Oh, my God" Minnie said shocked, then turned and followed everyone running.

Everyone ran in the same direction, away from the highway. Fortunately they were pretty close to a highway exit. They all ran up the ramp, then found their way into a neighborhood . Minnie along with others saw a open farm door, they ran toward it. The owner of the barn was getting in when she saw these people who were fleeing for their life, she knew they needed to get inside so she held the door open for them.

Minnie along with all those that could fit ran inside, then the owner of the farm house closed the door behind them.

“Hi, I am Dominique" the farm owner introduced herself. “HI, I am Minnie. Thank you so much for letting us in" Minnie responded.

“Your welcome, but it might be prudent to go to the basement until it is safe the conditions out there are not keeping us safe even in the house. The basement is our best chance at self preservation “ Dominique said.

“OK, that is a good idea" Minnie replied.

Dominique led the group to the basement. Everyone squeezed in the best they could, Minnie went to the window and stood on her tip toes to see outside. The man she first saw running then came beside her looking out the window as well.

“This is crazy, I have never seen anything like it, I am Bob by the way" Bob held out his hand to introduce himself.

“Hi, I am Minnie. Thank you for telling me to run I might have died otherwise" Minnie said as she shook his hand.

“I am sure you would have realized that you could not stay there sitting on the highway" Bob said.

“I hope that is true, but really I was just annoyed that we were not driving. I was worried about being late for work. I am annoyed with my routine driven life but I am also used to it” Minnie said.

“Oh, I cannot relate. I have no routine and that is annoying" Bob said.

“I don't know it sounds good. You never know what is going to happen, you can hope for something interesting to happen I know minute by minute what is going to happen it can get boring “ Minnie said.

“Yea but you have stability" Bob quipped.

“Yea, and maybe I do like it. Why else would I be living this life” Minnie responded.

“And I like chaos, that is why I live my life that way?" Bob asked amusingly.

“Maybe, or maybe we got stuck and need to make it a point to change" Minnie responded.

“Maybe, that is it. I need to get more stability and you need a little more unpredictable" Bob answered.

Minnie giggled.

“What is so funny?” Bob asked.

“I was just thinking maybe there is a reason we are in this weird thing together. We are both clearly at a crossroads in our lives. You are more laid back and willing to let life happen whereas I am more rigid and controlling. Maybe we were put in each other’s lives for a reason" Minnie replied.

“Maybe, but what is the point if we do not survive" Bob said.

“Well I believe we will survive this" Minnie stated.

“Belief does not make things so; I wish it did" Bob replied.

“No, it does not but it does give people hope" Minnie agreed.

“Yea, I guess it does” Bob answered.

Minnie looked back out the window to see what was going on outside, there were many people still running around seeking shelter, other houses had people going in closing and locking their doors.

“Wow, I hope that everybody gets through this just fine" Minnie said.

“Me too" Bob replied.

Minnie looked at everyone that was in the basement with them, they were regular people going to work, bringing their kids into school, driving somewhere to go on vacation. Now they were scared and praying for their lives. Minnie was hoping and praying for their lives as well, she wanted this to pass quickly so everyone could get back to their lives. Minnie had decided then and there that if she were to survive she would not go back to her old life she decided that she would change everything. Minnie was going to find a job she liked rather than one that paid well, and she was going to be more daring more spontaneous.

Bob was looking out the window while Minnie was having her epiphany, he turned to her with a worried look on his face. Minnie turned to the window and saw what Bob saw. Minnie turned back to Bob, and without thinking she kissed him. Bob was surprised but delighted so he kissed her back.

Bob pulled back and said “You are right, not knowing what is going to happen is more fun"  

September 18, 2020 15:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.