1 comment

Fantasy Science Fiction Inspirational

  Galaxy of stars

          *~one~*

    *~Xanthe~*

Sitting on the floor, waiting for her birth month to be called, Xanthe was talking to her friend, Elda. The two girls, along with the other twelve year olds and the ones who were turning twelve that year, were waiting for their names. They were waiting to receive the invitation to their new region of their home country. Where they lived, a large country called Tunda, was divided into four regions. Well, five, counting the place where everyone younger than twelve lived, including a few adults just to keep everything in order. Something Xanthe was glad of was that she and Elda both had the same birth month, March.

     “March-born, your turn. The following to come are as followed; Elda Dawson, Tui Everbane, Shane Necordia, and Xanthe Campbell.” The eldest Watcher, Gilda, called. Elda stood first, her black hair swinging behind her. Then Tui, with her blue and amber eyes. Shane came after, the only male march-born twelve-year-old. Finally Xanthe stood, her short, pale blond hair bobbing as she did so.

The four March-born kids stood, then followed Gilda into the other room, which was an empty, white room. “Tui.” Gilda said. Tui looked at the elder woman’s eyes as she whispered, “You are Animal-born, correct?” Tui nodded. She was one of those silent but deadly animal-borns, like most were. Gilda said something into the girl’s ear, and Tui’s already wide eyes widened. 

“Y-Yes madam Gilda.” Tui stamerd. Gilda handed her a necklace, a small white disk with a brown paw print tied to a black string. The paw on the disk was half lightened. Xanthe had never seen a selection before, no one had except the ones who did it, and Gilda. All of the sudden, A bright light flashed, forcing Xanthe, Elda, and Shane to turn away. 

“She’s…” Gilda said, the last word (or words) inaudible. The light faded away, and Tui was gone. “Elda. Come.” Elda, Xanthe’s best friend, crept forward. What if they weren’t put into the same region? Would that mean? No. Xanthe refused to think about that. As Elda walked, small flames flickered from her fingertips, wind stirred around her, the earth seemed to be trembling in time with her footsteps. “Element.” Gilda muttered as soon as Elda reached her. Element, the most common of the born. Even though Elda was Tech-born. Most of the time, it was common that the child was to live in the same area as their parents and have the same powers as them.

With trembling fingers, Elda took the necklace from Gilda’s hand. A disk divided into four, one with a rock, one with fire, water, and a tornado. She, Elda Dawson, Xanthe’s best friend, was Element. And for some reason, Xanthe knew that she wouldn’t be. “Shane, come here.” Gilda said sternly. The boy glared at Xanthe and then walked to the Watcher. “You are unique. I have not seen one like you since… well, since it was MY turn to join a true region.” She murmured. “There was a girl-” just then, Shane’s eyes became a milky white, and his hands started shaking. 

“What is happening?!?!?!” Xanthe asked frantically.

“Shush, Xanthe. The selection is happening.” Gilda replied calmly. By that point, Shane was on the ground, eyes getting whiter and whiter. Then he did something amazing. He shot onto his feet and rays of light burst from his left hand, darkness from the other.

“Star… the forbidden region…” Xanthe thought she heard Gilda mutter. The forbidden region, a legend, a myth, surly it shouldn’t have- Xanthe felt her body start shaking. She looked at her hands, and a small star was forming. It was hot, but not burning hot.

“No… no, no!” Gilda exclaimed. “This, no. Two March-Born S-s-stars.” What was wrong with Shane and Xanthe? What was Gilda talking about? Why was there a burning ball of gas in her hand? So many questions, but practically no answers. Well, really, no answers. “You two, come with me.” Gilda attempted to grab Shane’s hand, but he pulled it away, flinching. And Gilda was not dumb enough to try to grab Xanthe’s hand, which was getting warmer by the second. 

Gilda led them into a different room, where there were three other kids. Two girls and one boy. One of the girls had warm, coca colored skin and short blond hair. Xanthe recognized the girl almost instantly as Celestia, the warrior-born girl with a major attitude. She had bullied Elda and Xanthe for at least five years before Xanthe finally told a watcher. The other girl, Xanthe did not know who it was. She appeared to be twins with the boy. Twins were rare in Tunda. She and the boy had red hair and pale skin. Their eyes had a teasing look and they wore a sly grin.

“Hi! I am Apollo!” The boy-Apollo- said to Xanthe and Shane.

“And I am Artemis!” Said his twin. The two kids approached Xanthe, Apollo reached to shake her hand. When she gripped the shorter boy’s hand, Xanthe felt a jolt run through her hand. Apollo grinned even wider. 

“Electric? I thought that was an Element power.” Xanthe said, rubbing her hand.

“It is.” Artemis said, “But since we are Element-born, we do have a few minor abilities with the elements.” Xanthe nodded. She understood. Sorta, anyway. Then Celestia got the nerve to approach Xanthe. “Go away, Celestia” Artemis said, a hint of meanness that Xanthe knew -even first meeting her- wasn’t like her.

“How about you? Artemis, everyone knows that you and your crazy twin aren’t really funny, they just don’t wanna be mean to you.” Celestia said with a sneer. That made the twins mad. They stormed off, sparks flying from their hands and shoulders. That’s just Celestia, being as rude as always. Xanthe assured herself. She liked Apollo and Artemis, but she wasn’t sure about Shane. And she was NOT ready to forgive Celestia. 

Shane was an… interesting… kid. Nobody really liked him, and he was fine with it. He was not a fan of people. Everyone thought he was weird and dark. Celestia, well, she was nice for like a year before she became a bully when she was six. 

“Xanthe!” Gilda called. “I’ve been calling your name for like five hours! Get your butt in line!” Xanthe rushed over to join the other kids in a line. She stood on the end, next to Apollo. “Hold out your hand!” Gilda ordered, “Now make some balls of energy for me!” Xanthe did as the watcher said, and looked over to see Apollo with a small ball of light in his palm, sparks coming off his shoulders from concentration. His twin was similar, except her ball of light was bigger. Shane had a light-that was very bright- but practically the size of Xanthe’s smallest fingernail. Xanthe looked at her own. It was about the size of an orange, but not very bright. Celestia, however, was engulfed in bright light.


“Ok! Stop!” Gilda said. The five kids did as she said, knowing she was NOT one to disobey. “That was impressive, especially you, Celestia.” She handed each of them a necklace. Xanthe’s had the pattern of a crescent moon. Apollo and Artemis’ was half moon, one was waxing and one was waning. Shane’s necklace was completely white, a full moon. Celestia’s was resembling a new moon. “In this order, strongest to weakest, Celestia. Apollo. Artemis. Xanthe. Shane.” Gilda told the group of rare, and mythical kids.

“And you are going to change the world.”











                              *~two~*

                            *~Shane~*


“WHAT?!?!?! No!” Shane called. “I-I-I NO!” Shane was not used to being so weak, and not used to being so needed. People never wanted him around, they never talked to him, they wished he never existed! But Shane did actually want friends, he wanted people around. It was not his fault he hurt that girl. She punched him first!

“Shane, are you okay?” Xanthe asked. Shane started to shake his head, but quickly changed it into a nod. The girl was sweet, but sometimes tried too hard to make people happy. 

“Yea. I’m fine… I guess.” Shane replied. He was not used to people talking to him, much less girls. Xanthe simply shook her head and walked over to the insane twins who thought they were funny. She started talking to Apollo, who nodded with a sly grin on his face. Apollo then decided to walk over to Shane.

Apollo extended his hand, “Hi!” Shane hesitated, but shook it. A slight jolt ran up his arm.

“HEY! That hurt!” Shane yelped. Apollo laughed then walked back to Artemis and Xanthe, who were in the middle of an intense game of Rock Paper Scissors. Xanthe won, of course. 

“Okay children!” Gilda said, “It’s practically time for you to sleep, and you all ate before, so follow me to your rooms.” She walked down a long hallway, everyone following close behind her.

“Xanthe and Celestia, are in room one.” Gilda said, pointing to a room. It was well known that the girls did NOT get along well. “Shane and Apollo, room two. Oh, Artemis, you’re in room one as well.” NO. Shane HAD to be roommates with the most annoying boy in the universe?! Whatever…

                           *~The next day~*

“How did you all sleep?” Xanthe asked as the kids were nibbling on pancakes.

Celestia shook her head, “Miserable. Because a particular girl was screaming at the top of her lungs all night.” She glared at Artemis, “Guess who.”

Artemis frowned, “It’s not my fault there was a spider and I’m arachnophobic! The two things don’t go together!” Xanthe gave a sharp nod. Shane HAD heard yelling and frantic screaming all night.

“Hey, be nice to my sister.” Apollo snapped, hands starting to glow and lighting flying off his shoulders.

Celestia turned her gaze on him, “I can do what I want, stupid elemental.”

“Listen here, warrior.” Apollo said in a low and threatening voice, “Say anything like that about me or my people again…”

“Or what?”

“Or I’ll-”

“You can’t even find a threat, ‘cause you’re so weak.”

“SHUT UP!”

There was a bang and then Gilda stormed through the door. “YOU GUYS NEED TO BE FREAKING QUIET!!” Shane, Xanthe, and Artemis sank down in their seats, Celestia glared at Apollo who glared right back. “TO THE FREAKIN TRAINING ROOM! NOW!”

After Gilda walked back to wherever she was, Celestia shoved Apollo and headed to the training room, the others following behind her with some rude insults


The training room, Shane discovered, was just the next room over. It was large and eye-blindingly white. Gilda was standing in the center, taping her left foot impatiently. At her feet lay five gray suits. “Well?” She said, seemingly in a tad better mood, “Grab yours and change into it!” She pointed at the suits then at the bathrooms.

    *~After some great difficulty and pain~*

Shane had great trouble putting the suit on. Seemingly, so did Apollo, who kept pulling at his suit as though he had a wedgie. The girls, on the other hand, had no trouble.

“Ok. I see you’re all ready to move. Celestia, would you mind giving us an intro on who you are?”

Celestia sighed, “Sure why not.” She frowned, “Hello I’m Celestia Davidson. I am Warrior and June-born. I love kicking people’s butts and I’ve almost killed five people. My power level is extreme and I am able to tell what people can do in battle.”

“Dang.” Shane muttered.

“What was that, Shane? You’d like to go next?” Gilda called.

Shane muttered something particularly rude but stood, “Hi I’m Shane Necordia. I am Tech- and March-born. I like not being talked to-” he glared at Apollo and Artemis, “- and being left alone. My power level is weak but I can build things really well.”

“Apollo?”

“Hi my friends!” Apollo said, sparks flying off his hands, “I am Apollo Hemera-Selena, an Elemental and June-born. My sister is Artemis. Although we were born four months apart we consider each other twins. My power is half level”

“Artemis hurry.”

“Hello, please excuse Apollo. I’m Artemis Hemera-Selena, an Element-born and December-born. Like my brother, despite being Star now, I have control over some of the elements.” Artemis grinned, “And my power is half level as well.” 

“And last but least, Xanthe.”

“Hi.” The pale girl’s words were rushed. “I am Xanthe Campbell. I am- well, I’m not actually sure what I am, but I know I’m March-born. I-I-I don’t know much about my past, except that I’m an orphan.”


        Who is Xanthe? Why are Artemis and Apollo the way they are? Why is Celestia so mean? Why is Shane so introverted?

All questions to be answered…. soon.










       


                             *~Three~*

        *~Apollo~*

It’s hard being the funny kid. The kid who always smiles and makes people laugh. Hard. And no one understands that. Anyway, after everyone gave a formal introduction, Gilda gave an evil-vibes grin “Ok, now I’m gonna give you guys an immorality potion. It lasts for two hours. Imma let you guys hack at each other until five minutes till the potion wears off, got it?”

Xanthe frowned, “But what if we really hurt each other or ourselves?”

“Ugh. Stop being such a baby.” Celestia sneered. “You’re just afraid to get hurt.” Her voice dripped with fake sympathy.

Gilda narrowed her eyes, “You may use your powers ONLY. And I’m gonna leave the room for an hour and a half, so behave. You’re not able to leave the room.” As she left, she clapped her hands and the room turned into a jungle, the five kids in the center, a small clearing.


“Well, let’s hack at each other already!” Celestia said as soon as they were invincible.

 Why do I have a feeling something is going to go very wrong. Apollo thought to himself as he sprinted off into the trees. Now, Apollo had never been the athletic type, but he could run fast when and if he wanted.

*~Not finished, done for the year~*


April 11, 2023 19:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Bethany Weikum
19:25 Apr 11, 2023

I'm trying my best to work on this. It's hard but fun to write. Enjoy :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.