0 comments

General

You know I am a pretty special person; I do not care. I do not care about many things for example: people calling me names, people disregarding me, people pushing me, hitting me and all the like but there is one thing on the entirety of this earth that crawls down into the deep dark cage of my sole fights off the dragon of my senselessness breaks into the vault of my stubbornness and towards the single button of my nerves that I actually own, and press it. And if I am perfectly honest, it is quite frankly stupid. It is so stupid that if I were to tell you right now you would laugh in my face, you would laugh so loud and long and hard you may simply blow your top. Do you know why? Because people are stupid, people are so stupid they think that prate and all that malarkey is worth their time. I, however, am most incredibly different. I find that discussing people’s way of life and what they did do or didn’t do is a complete waste of time and I think that whilst you have a little prate “about so and so” I could have thought of twenty other things to do, and that is why it is simply ridiculous. 

My heart juddered when a giant knock on my door aroused. As I walked over my mind raced to who it might be and if I should even let them in, nine times out of ten it is usually someone coming to tell me how useless I am or how much of a disgrace I am but in the end my curiosity took over and I answered. 

“Archie!” I was so exited 

“Hi Alice” before I could even reply he was hugging me. 

“here is stuff” he handed me a small sac. He had brought me fresh ingredients to make beef stew with dumplings, my favourite! 

2/5

“ooh thank you!!” I was so delighted; it was hard to get fresh stuff with my income since usually I just have some vegetables stewed together and a lump of bread. 

“but I thought you weren’t getting back until next week” 

“I wasn’t but I managed to hop on an early train” 

“you mean smuggle away” 

“ha yeah, I suppose” he smirked 

“do come in side” I turned to let him in” 

“I would love to but I can’t stay long with the way that peeler is looking at me” he nodded towards a police man staring at him. 

“alright then.” I never got to see him anymore. 

“goodbye Alice.” He ran into off looking at the police officer as he ran. 

“FAREWELL!” I shouted back at him. I hated the word goodbye, it made me feel like that was the last time I would see them. 

I went back in side to shut the cold out. I dumped the ingredients on the counter so I could start the fire, it was freezing, it has been all month. I couldn’t start the fire quick enough because I simply had to get that stew done it was delicious. 

Once it was finally finished, I had on the plate and down my throat before you could see the finished product and to my surprise there was enough left for tomorrow. I was so delighted, Archie came to visit, I’ve got a nice dinner for a couple of days AND he did not mention any going out of town yet meaning I can see him again. 


3/5

… 

Life is grim. Life gets you down. Picks you up chews you and spits you back out again. It gives you no sales for a week, makes people break your new invention right after you finish it, life pushes you into a river with the only food you can afford in your hand and lose any pennies you had left. Or maybe life makes sure you don’t hear from your friend for a whole ten weeks after he arrived in town not even a day before. 


… 

Sometimes life makes sure you don’t see him for three months. 


… 


After what I suppose you’d could call the initial shock I decided that, since no one would, I would look for Archie myself. One would suppose it wouldn’t be to difficult since he couldn’t have left the town for, he wouldn’t have left with out telling me (perchance he hasn’t gone raving mad) so therefore my conclusions are one of the following: 

  • · He has gotten himself lost 
  • · He has been injured and unable to move to myself (or at all) 
  • · He has been kidnaped by one the people he gets himself involved in (I hope not) 
  • · He is dead 


I shall start my searches Monday morning, I think I shall start at his house, if you could even call it that. (its more of a hideout shack type thing). 

4/5

Chapter 2 

The searches 


I head out early Monday morning, not many people are out and I hope I will be back in time open the shop. As I walk down the street the very few people that are outside stare at me, there is no doubt at my steempunk attire. The cold air bites at my skin and the cold sun beams over my chilly face. 


I look around trying to recall the place in which Archie hides. I passed a pair of women prating. 


“oh, did you hear? That criminal boys kicked the bucket.” I stopped in my tracks listening in to make sure since there are many criminal boys. 


“what was his name again?” my heart pounded faster with every second she took to reply. 


“um… oh yes I remember, it was- 


My brain was about to explode it couldn’t be Archie no one even new he existed apart from the peelers; I suppose that is a snag. If this woman didn’t hurry up I was going to scream my head off the anticipation, might it only be a few seconds, was killing me. 


-Archie

October 22, 2019 15:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.