0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Drama

Moz was an honest citizen of Rubi Isle. It is on planet tellus - earth’s twin about 800 years behind. He was a handsome young man and being very lively people generally liked ḥim. He ran a sḥop selling vegetables and customers would throng to buy from ḥim. He was a widower having lost his wife to snake bite shortly after his wedding. He had taken an oath to remain in that state.

He was in good health but suddenly he had problems with sight in his left eye. He went to the medico and the man examined the eye after clearing it with leeches. He gave some medicines and said “Use these as prescribed and I’ll examine you again.”

The medico examined Moz a few times and finally said “I can see your sight is deteriorating . You could ultimately lose the use of the left eye.” The man tḥought a bit and said “I feel this is happening due to a curse.”

Moz felt as if a mountain had descended on him. He approached Wizma a middle-aged woman who was known for her skill in tackling spells curses and the like and explained his problem.

She asked ”Have you done something seriously wrong to somebody in the past?”

He thought a long while and said “I haven’t done any willful harm to anybody. But there is a wrong I had committed. There was a girl Irma who lived in our area. She was about seven and was friendly with me. She told me she had asked her granny about how babies were made and the lady had told her that man and woman embracing and kissing due to fondness for each other produced babies. I had said it was the correct answer. When she had reached 12 she came to me and charged me with giving the wrong answer to her question on baby making. She said sḥe was now mature and knew the right answer.”

Wizma said “Please continue.”

Moz said “Around that time I had vowed that I would abstain from all worldly pleasures for a year in expiation following my wife’s demise. Irma somehow charmed me and said I should compensate for misinforming her about baby making. The end period of the vow was only a few days away when I somehow succumbed to her. I made love to her just once but I had broken the vow I had solemnly taken.”

Wizma said “That is a strong reason for a curse to be cast on you. Why didn’t you marry her? That is perhaps what she had wanted.”

“You’re right. But I had made a vow saying I won’t marry again.”

Wizma said “She could’ve got some wizard to put a curse on you.” She thought a little and said “She would’ve to undo the curse. Where is she now?”

“I’ve lost touch with her.”

“Locate her and get her to undo the curse.”

Moz tried to locate Irma. He learnt she had married a sailor and was living on Bleach Island not far away. He sailed to Bleach and met Irma.

Irma said “Nice to see you again. Why have you come to see me?”

He explained about his declining sight.

She laughed and said “Yes. I had a curse cast on you by a wizard. I’m happy it is working.”

“I’ve come to seek redress. I’ll apologize to you and your husband.”

She laughed and said “Don’t apologize to me. I won’t cause withdrawal of the curse as you had wronged me. My husband is dead”

“Don’t you remember my telling you that I had taken a vow to abjure all worldly pleasures for one year and then I had also taken an oath that I won’t marry again? You still made me break my pious resolve. You’re also guilty.”

She laughed and said “You assaulted my virginity and I’ve caused you to undergo suffering.”

He pleaded for forgiveness but she was adamant.

He thought of a different approach and asked “Where are your children?”

She said “I have none.”

Moz returned and met Wizma. He gave her all details of his meeting with Irma and said “I was wanting to tell her that if I cast a curse on one of her children she would suffer. But she had no children.”

Wizma said  “That is a plus point in your case. Suppose you get her with child?”

Moz said “But I’ve sworn not to marry again.”

Wizma laughed and said “That’s not the only way to get children.”

“You mean I live with her and make her pregnant?”

Wizma nodded and said “I’m sure she’ll permit you.”

Moz felt that tḥe mountain on ḥim had partially lifted. After arranging for his business to continue he went to Irma again and said “I hope you don’t hate me for the misinformation.”

She was silent. He said “What if I camped here a few days?

She appeared to relent. He felt the mountain had lifted further from ḥim. She said “You’re trying to use me to overcome your eye problem.”

The mountain again seemed to descend over ḥim.

He said “I do love you. Only I can’t marry you due to my oath.”

She thought for a long while and then said “You’re only trying to make me forgive you.” The mountain again seemed to descend. But after a little thought she said “Okay. Do that. I’ll get the curse removed after I’ve a baby.”

He was delighted and felt as if the mountain had been totally lifted off him.

Moz did as he had said. Three months passed but there was no sign of a baby forming.

She said “We aren’t destined to have progeny. I won’t retract. You go your way.”

Moz thought the mountain had again come down heavily over him. He returned and consulted Wizma again. Wizma said “I’ll cast a powerful spell on her so that she won’t get pregnant.”

Moz paid for the service and she did her part.

After a few days Irma came to Moz and said “My wizard says there is a spell on me so that I won’t become pregnant. Someone is willing to marry me. I was told if your spell is neutralized I’ll be pregnant.”

 Moz shook his head.  She pleaded and he said “Get your wizard to heal me first.”

Irma was shocked to learn that her wizard had passed away. His wife said “The curse can’t be withdrawn but I can transfer it if you pay.” She demanded a big sun and Irma paid. The curse was transferred to a dog when Moz’s sight was restored. Wizma had done her part and very soon Irma was pregnant. As they say ‘The mountain groaned in pangs of birth/And lo! A mouse was born’ signifying that worries and travails had ended.

END

January 16, 2023 00:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.