0 comments

Christian

           Jesus confidently strode to the raised platform in the sanctuary of the synagogue while the congregation watched his every step. This Sabbath, he had told his friends and neighbors, would begin his ministry. No one turned their head from him. His appearance was nothing special. He stood five foot ten inches with black, neatly manicured beard and hair but with a prominent Roman nose. The gathering of people sensed his evaluation of them as his gaze fell on each of them.

           Jesus stood, ready to speak, when a holy scroll was handed to him. After a short search in the book of Isaiah, he read, “’The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, to preach the acceptable year of the Lord.’

           “This day is this scripture fulfilled by me.”

           The listeners eyebrows lowered. Several mouths hung open. After a moment to overcome the shock, the angry shouts began.

           “That’s outrageous!” said one voice. “We know you. You grew up here!”

           “That passage is about the Messiah. It is not about you!” said another voice.

           “A prophet,” said Jesus, “is not accepted in his own land. Elijah was sent to a widow in Sidon. Elisha only healed the leper, Naaman the Syrian.”

           “Blasphemer!” said the rabbi. “You are making yourself equal to God. You are not God!”

Men raised their fists above their heads as they moved toward Jesus. The rabbi worked his way to the raised platform. His words incited the crowd to throw Jesus from a high cliff.

Jesus turned his back to the crowd and appeared to be one of them. While the men busily searched for Jesus, he passed through the midst of them.

           The hope passed of catching fish at night—when the fish could not see the net. All Peter and Andrew would look forward to now was cleaning the debris and silt off their linen net so it would not rot.

           Movement snagged Peter’s attention. It turned out to be a man leading a crowd in their direction. Peter could not hear what the people said, but he caught “witness a miracle”.

           “What does he want?” said Peter to Andrew to his brother.

           When the man came within speaking distance, he stopped and said, “I want to speak to these people. Would you be willing to cast your boat a little way from shore? So, I can address everyone rather than just those around me.”

           “Who are you?” asked Peter.

           “My name is Jesus of Nazareth.”

           Turning to Andrew, Peter asked, “What’d you think?”

           Andrew shrugged. “It’s your boat.”

           “Yeah,” said Peter. “I’m ready for a break and curious enough to hear you.”

           Jesus sat at the bow of the boat as they rowed a short distance from shore.

           Jesus said a short prayer for the crowd before starting. Peter and Andrew approved.

           “Blessed are those who are as humble as a child. Children obey because they trust their fathers.” The two men nodded..

           “Do to others as you would want done to you.”

           Peter whispered to Andrew, “The world would be more peaceful if people did that.”

           “If you are so angry with your brother that you call him ‘idiot’ or ‘stupid’, the fires of hell await you. If you want to give a sacrifice at God’s altar, but then remember something your brother has against you, leave the sacrifice there. Go reconcile with him. Then it will please God to receive the sacrifice. Remember the God of Abraham says, ‘Vengeance is mine.’ Vengeance comes to anyone who has done wrong to another person.”

           Peter and Andrew glanced at each other, then downward while Jesus continued talking.

           “I’m sorry I call you an idiot,” whispered Peter.

           “Forgive me for calling you stupid,” whispered Andrew.

           “I don’t want God’s anger. I’ll repay you the money I owe you when we get home tonight.”

           Pointing all across the crowd using both arms, Jesus said, “You can serve God.” Again, he pointed at the people. He said, “Or you can serve Satan and the love of money that he gives.” He put his arms down. and planted his hands on his knees. “But you cannot do both at the same time.

           “Seek you first the kingdom of God and His righteousness.”

           The listeners fidgeted from sitting so long, so Jesus closed with a benediction from Numbers. “The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious to thee: the LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace. Amen.”

           Some stood up and stretched before walking home. Some disappointed people grumbled about not seeing a miracle. A few stayed to talk to Jesus more when he finished with Peter and Andrew.

           Jesus turned to Peter and Andrew. “Launch out to the deepest part of the sea. Then let down your nets there. You will catch so many fish, you won’t know what to do with them.

           Peter sighed. “Master. We spent hours last night pulling our nets in and out of the water. We didn’t catch anything.” I’ll prove him wrong, thought Peter. “But since you are telling me to, I’ll try again.”

           The fishermen sailed to a deeper part of the sea before casting their nets.

           The net began to wiggle with fish. As it was pulled up, fish leaped in the air to escape. After the second throw, the fish pushed and pulled against the repairs, which then began to break.

           “James, John! Quick! Come here! We need your help. Our nets are breaking and there are more fish!”

           James and John maneuvered into position to grab the net and put fish in their boat.

           The boats rocked with energetic fish and excited fishermen.

           “Our boats are four foot deep in fish,” said Peter with a big grin on his face. Then he frowned. “But they will sink if we don’t get back to shore.

           As they returned to shore, Peter stared at the pile of fish.

           “And we caught them in daylight. When the fish can see the net,” said Andrew.

           “I’ve never seen the like. Day or night fishing.

           “This is the miracle the people wanted to witness. Only God could have done this.”

           On the shore in front of Jesus, Peter dropped to his knees, bowed his head, and said, “Leave me alone. I am too sinful to be with you.”

           Jesus smiled at him, laid a hand on Peter’s shoulder. Then looking at all the fishermen, said, “Don’t be afraid. Follow me and I will make you fishers of men.”

           Leaning to the Pharisee next to him, the first whispered, “That’s him. Pass it on to the rest of us. Keep a close eye on him. He is bound to do something against sabbath laws.”

           Jesus looked around, seeing the Pharisees whispering to each other. He searched a little more, then noticed a man trying to hide his hand.

           “Come and stand before me,” said Jesus to the man.

           Reluctantly the man came forward because someone pushed him from behind. Doing so exposed the man’s shriveled, boney hand. Holding it close to his chest, he avoided moving it for the pain.

           Jesus’ anger at the Pharisees swelled, but only expressed it in words. “Is it against the law to do good on the Sabbath or to do evil? To save a life, or kill?”

           The Pharisees glanced at the nodding heads by the rest of the men, who were watching both Jesus and them. These religious leaders, so filled with rage, their arms trembled while their heads fairly vibrated.

           Jesus scanned the room for opposition before commanding the man, “Stretch forth your hand.”

           The man cautiously lifted that arm toward Jesus. On feeling no pain, he moved it forward faster. As he did so, his hand became plump and round like the other hand.

           “Glory be to God! Praise God! Thank you!” said the man, working his arm back and forth.

           The Pharisees walked out before anyone else. Out of sight of the synagogue, they met to discuss how to destroy Jesus.

           All the disciples and Jesus gathered in a large, upstairs room for a last meal. Jesus knew his future. Jesus lifted a cup of wine toward heaven and gave thanks.

           “Pass this cup around,” said Jesus, “Divide it among yourselves and drink all of it. This represents my blood, to be shed for the sacrifice and remission of sins. I will drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.”

           After retreating to a garden in Mount of Olives, Jesus spoke to his disciples. “All of you will desert me when the religious leaders arrest and convict me. But after I’m risen, I will go before you.”

           Peter’s body stiffened in outrage, and his voice rang out with force. “All men may desert you, but I won’t. Everyone else may, but I won’t desert you! I will lay down my life for your sake.”

           “So, you think you’re going to do that tonight? Well. The rooster won’t crow twice, until you have denied me three times.”

           The sound of many angry voices could be heard before they came into view. Judas — one of the disciples — led Pharisees, chief priests, merchants who had been thrown out of the temple, and more. In the night, the torches gave off eerie shadows restlessly changing shapes. The mob, holding swords and staves, came prepared for a fight with Jesus’ followers.

           Judas approached Jesus. “Hello, Master.” Then he kissed him.

           “Friend,” Jesus said, “Why did you come here?” Judas did not answer.

           The chief priest’s servant, eagerly turned to face his mentor. “This man is a blasphemer, and these are his followers. Shall we attack?”

           Peter’s veins stood out in anger. Proudly defending Jesus, he tried lay down his life for him.

           Peter drew out his sword and took aim at the servant’s head. The servant avoided it in time, so that only his right ear fell to the ground. Jesus picked up the ear and put it back in place as if the most natural thing in the world. Several people left the mob.

           Jesus turned to speak to Peter as if he were a child. “Put away your sword. Don’t you think I could call the host of heaven to help me? The cup from the Father. The one I talked about representing my blood. Shall I not drink it?”

           Peter’s mind went blank. He wondered what he had joined. If Jesus let himself die, what would be worth fighting for then?

           The captain and officers bound Jesus. The throng pushed and led Jesus to the High Priest’s house, large enough to be called a palace.

           Most of the disciples had fled, but Peter and John followed to hear the proceedings.

           The girl at the gate let John in because she knew him, but refused Peter’s passage.

           When John realized Peter did not follow, he went to the gate to talk to the girl. She let Peter in.

           Peter planned on following John, but seeing the man whose ear was healed, decided not to. He saw the servants and officers of the temple warming themselves by a fire. The room smelled like food. There was even a rooster in a cage, awaiting the butcher block.

           “You also were,” said the girl from the gate, “with Jesus of Galilee, weren’t you?”

           The servants and officers looked at him for his answer. Peter denied before them all. “I don’t know him. I don’t understand what you are saying.”

           Peter went onto a porch that had fresher air. There, another maid recognized him and said to those in the area, “This fellow was also with Jesus of Nazareth.”

           Peter realized he might be considered a conspirator with Jesus. He knew what to expect if that happened. His voice sounded loud as he said, “By the altar in the temple, I do not know him.”

           The rooster crowed.

           He wanted to escape the questions and found a fire to warm himself. The spot was close enough for him to see and hear Jesus being questioned.

           As Peter warmed himself, a man said, “Sure you’re one of them. You speak with a Galilean accent.” Those around murmured and nodded in agreement.

           Peter threw his hands in the air. “By the temple, by all that is in heaven and earth, and by all that is holy, I swear I do not know the man.”

           While the rooster crowed a second time, Jesus’ gaze landed on Peter, expressing disappointment.

           Immediately Peter remembered Jesus’ words, “The rooster won’t crow twice, until you have denied me three times.”

           Peter humbled by the prophecy, rushed out and wept with sobs shaking his whole body.

Forty days after the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus

           The captain took note of the people surrounding Peter and the other apostles. They were attentive to what Peter said. Captain motioned to the officers, and said, “Take them without violence so we don’t start a riot.”

           The apostles complied with the request to go before the elders, the High Priest and the rest of the council.

           As they stood before them, the High Priest asked, “Didn’t we specifically command you to not teach in Jesus’ name? And look what you’ve done. All Jerusalem is filled with your false teachings. Now, you intend to blame us for this man’s blood.

           Peter showed no cowering or reluctance to answer. “We ought to obey God rather than man. The God of our father raised up Jesus. You slew him by hanging him on the cross. We are witnesses of that. We are also witnesses that Jesus is alive, because death could not hold him. Now, the Holy Ghost has been given by God to those that obey him.

           The leaders called for the slaying of the men.

           Gamaliel, a famous Pharisee, commanded to have the disciples separated from them.

           He said, “Use extra precaution in dealing with these men. If it is of men, it won’t amount to anything.

           “Remember Theudas who bragged about himself? He had about 400 people obeying him, but they all scattered when he died.

           “Or how about Judas of Galilee who became popular during the days of taxing. His followers also scattered after he died. It came to nothing.

           “Jesus is dead. Let them alone. If their teachings are of men, nothing of what they say will last.

           “If it be of God,” Gamaliel paused, “you cannot overthrow it. Or else you will be fighting against God.”  

July 10, 2021 01:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.