0 comments

Fantasy Sad

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

Note: The story contains acts of physical violence.

There’s nothing more heartbreaking than this moment, I tell myself as I sit next to the kitchen table, looking at them playing so innocently in the living room. Alexander is standing next to me, one hand holding a mug of hot coffee, his other hand around my waist.

“Are you sure about this?” he asks me, and I find it so hard to meet his face.

“It’s my only option.” I whisper. “I cannot take the risk to find you, things are going wild.”

I always had in the back of my mind that things might take this turn, but I couldn’t believe it was actually happening. A mission to destroy Dazar, the biggest threat for the entire universe, and a wrong act that resulted in unlocking his powers.

Now he has become stronger, and his followers are gaining control everywhere. First, they started with the government and all the key positions on our planet. Before we realise it, his army was out in the streets. Destruction was the only thing they left behind. Anything that might bring suspicions of resistance was killed or destroyed at once.

We had agreed with the general to meet at the outskirts of the city, in a location well hidden by the forest. The headquarters were already compromised, and no one could be trusted, except our members. Being in the Legion was not an easy job, I knew that since the day that applied for it. But it was the greatest honour to be a part of it.

An elite team of female warriors and trained assassins protecting our planet from potential threats, from within and out of it.

I met Crob when I was at the final stage, in the training camp. He was a lecturer, specialized in tactics and intergalactic relations. They had brought him in to give us a lecture, however, he gave me more than that. His heart.

When I finally became an official member of the Legion, we got married and immediately started out plans for a family. One thing about the Legion was that they had many enemies, and it was uncertain how long you’ll live in a position like that.

Soon, the gods blessed us with two new members joining our family. I was happy beyond measure and Crob was ecstatic, looking at their faces when they came in contact with the first light of the day. I began participating in less missions due to the kids, but I couldn’t let my fellow warriors back. Spending time with my family became my priority and joy.

Crob was always there for me, supporting me and raising the kids while I had to be away on a mission. Everything was going great, until Dazar appeared.

The world suddenly changed, but one thing was certain. Our very existence was threatened. Dazar made it quite clear that only those who follow him will survive. We couldn’t stay without a fight; I couldn’t do that.

Now we became the only hope of the people that oppose Dazar. He on the other hand, declared a war to the Legion and he will not get rest until he has our heads on spears. I lost count of the times we attempted to kill him. All were unsuccessful, he was always one step ahead of us.

However, I always trying to leave outside of the family the work matters. But this time, it was impossible to do so. I had to leave, gather with the rest of the Legion and stand against Dazar and his army. The cost of this, however, is to leave my family behind, the only ones that give meaning to my life.

When I told Crob about it, he was furious. He couldn’t accept it. It took me long hours of discussing all the possibilities to convince him. I know that deep down he already knew it as well. If there is any slight change to defeat him, only the Legion could be capable of that.

As the day was getting closer, I started trying to digest this better within me. The idea of breaking up with Crob and the kids however, it was unbearable. I spend many nights, crying to soothe my pain. What if I don’t see them again? What if I die or they die? All these questions and many more were haunting me all the time.

One day I decided it’s best to let the kids also know that I’ll be gone for a while. I will not explain in detail what’s the matter but at least to have an idea. They were little but capable to understand what’s happening.

“I want to tell you something.” I start as I put them in their beds. “Mum would need to get out of town for a while, it’s part of the job.” I continue as I sit in a low chair between their beds. “I want you to listen to your father. You see the situation is difficult right now, and mum has to fix this. Don’t worry, everything would be alright, I promise.” I smile to them holding each one’s hand in mine.

“How long you’ll be gone?” Xenial asks with an innocent look in his eyes.

“I hope not long. I’ll make sure I’ll be back very soon.” I smile to him, and he smiles back.

“But we’ll miss you!” Tanier cries.

“I’ll miss you too. But when I come back, everything would be better. And then, we could go that trip to the mountains we’re always planning to.”

“I’ll make a program with the things we can do when we reach the mountains.” Tanier beams.

“That’s an excellent idea!” I reply with a wide smile on my face, although my heart is already in pain.

I reach and plant a kiss to each one’s forehead. “Good night.” I whisper as I leave their room.

Now, the day has come, and I am unable to talk to them as I feel a knot blocking my voice and tears gathering under my eyes, ready to fall at any second. I let my head hand down and tears release from my eyes’ sockets. I feel like my heart was ripped out of my body. This is maybe the last time I see my family, although I pray to gods that the worst will not happen.

Crob hugs me tight, like his life depends on that. I keep telling everyone that I won’t be away for a long time, but I really don’t know. Something tells me that I won’t see them again.

“You want to-”

“No, I don’t want them to remember me like this.” I cut him off.

With all the emotional strength I’ve left, I take my sack and head out of the house. I walk out the road in the middle of the night and determination feels me. We won’t rest until he’s defeated. For all the people in this planet, but most important, for my family. Even if I’m not alive to enjoy with them when this is over, I’ll know they live free. 

March 18, 2022 15:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.