0 comments

Historical Fiction Fiction

Story written in Aramaic on a clay tablet found in the archeological site of Pasargadae in Iran.

My name is Amytis, I’m the daughter of King Astyages and Queen Aryenis and the wife of King Kuras II and his queen. I was named after my paternal aunt, who is the Queen of Babylon with King Nebuchadnezzar II. Her beauty is so astonishing that the king built the hanging gardens for her. It’s an honor for me to be named after her.

I would not even be alive today had it not been for the fateful event which occurred when my father was in battle with the Lydians, and which I am venturing to recount today.

I have heard this story countless times from the lips of my father, as he praised our creator Ahura Mazda, the god of the sky and lord of wisdom, for shaping our destiny. My father loved me dearly and my mother Aryenis also, I was truly the fruit of a boundless love, and one that could never have blossomed and flourished without the helping hand of Ahura Mazda.

When my father was a young man the Medes and the Lydians were enemies, and he fought alongside his father, King Cyaxares, in many battles against them. He married a young Persian named Ayten, who gave birth to Mandane, my half-sister. When Mandane attained puberty, he had a dream that there were vines growing from her womb that invaded and encompassed everything around. His oracle interpreted the dream to mean that Mandane would bear a son that would overthrow his empire. She was married to Cambyses I, the King of Anshan, and when she bore her son Kuras, my father ordered for him to be killed, but the body of a stillborn boy, the son of a shepherd, was given to my father as proof of his having been killed and thus Kuras lived, adopted by the shepherd as his son.

Ayten passed away and my father was lonely. At a half a century of age he was still strong, handsome, and vigorous, still fighting battles while his father, King Cyaxares was too old to do battle.

My father often went out on long travels disguised so that people would not know he was the Prince. One day when he was so disguised, riding on horseback in the streets of Ephesus in Lydia, he saw men carrying my mother Aryenis’s palanquin and followed it. His oracle had informed him that his stars were aligned to signify an important life-changing occurrence. My mother looked out into the street at a moment when my father’s horse was just alongside it and their eyes met. Both were immediately love-stricken. She ordered he palanquin bearers to take her to the ruins of the Temple of Artemis, where she entered, telling the porters to wait for her. My father followed her into the ruins and they made acquaintance, embraced and kissed, vowing themselves to each other.

There was a major difficulty opposing their happiness, in that their two countries were at war and their joining in wedlock was impossible. They had difficulty even seeing each other, but on the few occasions when they did, their passion grew even stronger and the dilemma was magnified. They discussed their misfortune and agreed that there was only one possible solution to be joined and live happily together. King Astyages would have to defeat the Lydians in battle so that they could be wedded. He redoubled his efforts with the passion of love as his driving force.

After many battles, neither side had been able to win the war. On some occasions the Lydians won, and sometimes it was the Medes who were victorious. The years were passing and my parents’ longing saw no relief. They both prayed to Ahura Mazda to help them to be united.

The god of the sky answered their prayers. It was in the evening, the night of a full moon, and the two armies were engaged in battle again, neither side winning, when suddenly the moon became dark and turned blood red. The soldiers had been fighting by the moonlight and now there was none. My father realized that this was the answer to his prayers. Instead of a victory over the Lydians, this sign could be interpreted as an omen to stop fighting and make peace. Both sides agreed on the signification of the blood moon and this brought about a pact of peace between my father’s people the Medes and my mother’s people the Lydians, sealed with their wedding, and consequently, my birth.

I have lived a happy life for the most part, brought up with the love of my parents and peace between the rival countries. My grandparents on both sides have given me much affection. My father succeeded to the throne, and when I came of age to be married, he gave my hand to lord Spitamas. This was a time of sadness for me. Although my father meant well, and had every right to decide which of my suitors could perhaps become the ruler after his death, I didn’t like the man. He was conceited and showed little to no consideration for my pleasure. He was also jealous and forbad me to leave the palace, fearing that another man may court me. Oft left to myself, I spent my time learning, it is thus that I know how to write. I spent many hours with my father’s counselors and especially with his oracle, who has taught me how to read the stars. It was because of this knowledge that I had hope for my future, as my stars foretold a high position for me. At the same time, they warned of a fall in grandeur for my father.

This would all come to pass with the prophecy revealed in my father’s dream about my half-sister Mandane long before I was born. He had tried to kill his grandson Kuras, but destiny would not allow for this. Kuras became a great conqueror, and defeated his own grandfather in battle, becoming the king of Medes. Kuras is a gentle and compassionate man, and let my father live out the rest of his life in the Palace, surrounded by his loved ones. In his own language, that of the Elamites, his name means “he who bestows care”, and he couldn’t have been better named. As for my intimidator, my inconsiderate husband Spitamas, Kuras killed him with his own sword and took me as his bride. My life has been bliss since that moment. Kuras is everything a woman could ever ask for and more. Somehow I believe that his youth as a shepherd prepared him to be a great man, because shepherds spend time meditating the stars. It doesn’t matter to me that he’s my nephew, because he has satisfied my every desire.

Kuras has since conquered the Lydians and is now King of Anshan, King of Persia, King of Media, King of Lydia, also known as King of the World, King of Kings, Great King, King of Babylon, King of Sumer and Akkad, King of the Four Corners of the World, and King of the Universe.

My Father, remembering his fateful encounter in Ephesus with my mother, made a request to Kuras to have the Temple of Artemis restored. Kuras granted his wish and thus ordered my uncle King Karos to have it accomplished. It is now a splendid temple again, all in marble. My father and mother visit it regularly, and I accompany them. Every time we make the journey I hear the story of their love and the battle when the full moon darkened and became blood red.

April 11, 2024 14:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.