0 comments

Drama Science Fiction Suspense

Phone’s vibrating.....Alarm’s beeping…..Someone’s knocking….. Mom opens the door widens the curtain, suddenly drags out the bed sheet. “Oh what a mess! You left your gadgets lying on the floor. I think it’s no longer useful. I’ll dispose it”

She wakes up and forcefully collects her device. Her Mom, Mrs. Elsa folds hands and stares at her giving her a ‘what a stubborn girl’ look.

“Now get dress for school” Chloe sluggishly goes to the toilet rubbing her eye, Elsa enjoys the company of her child. Raising her child single-handedly was really tough, she made her breakfast, arranged her daughter’s snacks and everything put in order. Chloe didn’t attend her classes and this has been happening for two weeks. She stays in an empty class not usually monitored by the authorities of the school and this gives her more time to work on her project. News spread in school that all the computer systems were being hacked by a criminal but not known. On her mind was a big idea on how to solve this problem, she did some researching on hackers. And found out that some hackers place their interest in school especially in their website. She did some installation of apps that‘ll aid her in tracing, luckily for her she traced out the hacker whom was responsible for hacking into the schools’ website, she was able to do this by logging into the school locked information after the computer studies teacher had left, she definitely had hers ways. Well she stole his keys and after she was through with her work she left the keys hanging on the handle of the door. She understood that the hacker usually hacks the computer when not in use so that made her trace his location and every fake information he left on media. She blocked him and took back every amount of money he stole from her school that made her principal shed tears publicly because he was at the verge of losing his job. She took back double of what he stole and sent the rest to her principals’ account. She left the hacker in pain and made it difficult for him to access any other person’s account.

She went back home without a word but was happy, she derived joy in giving happiness. “Why are you late? And why didn’t you come back home with the school bus?” Chloe totally forgot her mom and endless questions. She didn’t say a word and left. Chloe’s just 18 and hates to speak with her mom, she believes she is the reason for her father’s disappearance and absence in her life. She grew hatred for her mom and her mom continued to grow love for her. She didn’t mind the insults Chloe threw at her, her hope kept on increasing. Chloe barely talks but what she thinks of is really huge, her imagination and ideas on creating and reconstructing were not limited. She could pick up a remote battery, a TV battery, a spoilt toy car and do some magic. Her hands quickly move fixing and repairing. She was able to create a huge device capable of reading ones state of mind and find out if it’s actually true or false.

Michael, her best friend visited her but in the mean time spent more time with Elsa, he became fond of her which got their presence interesting. Chloe later joined but her actions really spoke louder than what she had in mind. Michael decided to speak with her in private concerning her rudeness towards her mom

“Chloe why this strange attitude? You ignore your mother and speak so annoyingly? She is your mother”

“What mother? Do you mean that witch? She is the reason for my fatherlessness, she caused me to live in pain, she caused me to not to feel the love of a father because of her selfish desires”

“I believe she has her reasons, did you try asking her to find out her reasons”

“Do you think I haven’t tried? All she tells me is that – he didn’t deserve us. How does that ease my pain. I just hate her, I hate her!”

Chloe sits down and Michael comforts her, he decided to change the conversation at least to calm her down but what exactly would calm the pain Elsa felt within her. She knew she shouldn’t have lied but her daughter obviously won’t understand until the right time to expose the truth. Meanwhile, she noticed some weird signs and would take actions. Chloe went to school chatting with Michael for a while and then, the principal instructed for her presence in his office immediately. She said it through the speakers that were kept at the edges of the wall; everyone wondered what trouble she put herself into. She went to his office and knocked, the door opened and she saw her mom. The principal permitted her and she reluctantly closed the door, she went to stand behind the chair opposite her mom.

“Chloe, news got to me that you barely attend lectures, you don’t even come to class to take register calls. What has come over you? So, what do you do while lectures are going on?”

“It’s personal.”

Elsa giggles. She thought of what personal stuffs would be more important than acquiring knowledge.

“Would you like to share it with us?”

“As I said, it’s personal”

“Chloe!!”

“No Mr. Martins. Please. I don’t want any drama, you can handle that later but I came here so you can help me monitor my daughter’s activities every single hour. Her every moment should be recorded and be forwarded to me. I mean when she is alone and also with her friends, I need to know what she is always doing”

Chloe looks at her mother angrily…

“Yes, madam. That would be done and sent to you”

“Thank you. All I want is to understand my child fully and please her”

“Then go to hell.. cos that will never happen”

She rushes out in tears and heads to the restroom. She felt suffocated with her mothers’ undying love for her which felt as ‘acting’ to her.

She didn’t tell anyone what actually happened not even her best friend. She wasn’t really happy with her mother and her mom could understand but it was for the best. Chloe was really a very intelligent girl in her class, she is always at the top whether she stays in class or not. She usually studies while staying up late and after wards creates and innovates. But now, she is depreciating in her studies and it’s not affecting her at all, she now finds whatever she is doing boring.

News spread in school that a very important representation got encrypted with virus and has disappeared. An idea popped into her head, she knew exactly what to do because the school already made a deal with a very popular school that would benefit them in future but as a result of what had happened, they rescheduled all their meeting periods. The other party decided to withdraw his deal but Chloe took up the computer, at that time Mr. Martins didn’t monitor her so no one knew her activities, she used her newly innovated formula and restored back the encrypted file but this time without encryption and virus. She transferred it into the computer made for the representation and luckily, it was successful and once again, the credits and praise were all given to Mr. Frank, the ICT teacher. She was not happy but happy that everything as settled. Mr. Frank met her and confessed he knew that she was the one who fixed the encryption and other problems but he always found out and deleted her image and replaced his with hers. That alone gave prove to the rest that he was the one seen on the CCTV footage, he assured her that no one would find out who the true genius really is. He threatened her and this got her paranoid. She made a public announcement which made both teachers, students and also, the directors and principals. She told them that she was the one who actually fixed all the problems going on in this school, she further explained how she did it and at the end, they all clapped simultaneously for her.

“She is crazy.”

“Does this mean that you all don’t believe me?”

No one actually did. Mr. Martins confirmed that the representation has always been there; only the location seemed difficult to find. She knew who told that ridiculous lies but she attempted to show it to them but nobody believed her.

Principal further said…

“She is the one that doesn’t attend lectures, how possibly would she know how to operate a computer…hahahahaha. Get lost”

No one actually believed her not even Michael. She was so upset and cried back home. For the first time in her life she wanted to be praised and be given credits to. She went back home in shame because she was the talk of the school at that time.

She hurriedly rushed into her room; Elsa did not know what happened since none of her activities were being forwarded to her. She knocked on the multiple times but all she got was

“Get the hell out of my door!!!!”

“Please darling talk to me.”

“No!!!!!!!!! Don’t you get it? Leave me alone. You are the cause of my pain. All of it. Just leave”

“For once baby, let us talk things out; it may help you feel better. Just let me in”

Silence was heard for some minutes…..until the door finally opened.. Elsa got inside and saw Chloe sitting in front of her bed crying. Now mother and daughter conversation, a heart-to-heart conversation began

“Baby, tell me what the problem is. You can confide in me”

“Mom why have you been so distant from me? When I need you, you aren’t there. I feel like I’m alone.”

“Dear remember, you chose that for us. You made me feel terrible and I had to do what I had to do to make you happy but in the process hurting myself”

Elsa took Choe into her arms and padded her.

“You know, when I and your father were still in good terms, he loved me a lot and I loved him but he started cheating on me and I couldn’t bear it anymore. I literally endured this pain throughout the time I was pregnant for you. On the day of my labor, he left me all alone but my brother came to my aid… he never came to say hello or see us till this day. No efforts was made on his side and I totally forgot about him as you came along but when your hatred for me was growing, I became so guilty”

“Mom I’m so sorry I made you feel that way. I regret it a lot. I love you, I never hated you.”

“I know that.. I love you too my baby girl”

“Mom something bad happened in school today”

Chloe told her mom everything

“Dear, I always knew you loved science, creating and innovating. I also knew you skipped classes just to continue your creative skills.”

“So you knew that all along?”

“Yes I did. But dear hold on… you have a tough situation at hand but I won’t tell you what to do”

“Mom why? You are supposed to give me advice”

“Yeah I know, it is what you want, it is what you love to do, you literally derive joy from it, you are clingy to your desires and what makes you feel happy. Follow your heart, do what’s necessary, continue that which fills your heart with joy. Those who think you are weak, prove to them that you are my daughter and a very brave and intelligent girl. You don’t depend on anyone, you are yourself. So be yourself, show the world what you are made of and what can be reproduced from you. Go on my girl, you are better than fools who think you are young. How hard is it?”

“How hard is it?”

Elsa left…. In the early morning, Chloe was working on something, what could that be? She was in haste; her mom brought hot coffee to ease her mind. Now she definitely felt her mothers’ love. She was finally through with her project. She put it into a small bag and carried it alongside her school bag.

“Go show the world, how hard it is”

She ordered a cab and surprisingly, she wasn’t going to school. She was going to the media station. She was not permitted but Chloe being Chloe rushed in and ran towards the director of the news station.

“Sir I tried stopping her but…”

“Don’t mind… hey what you doing here?”

“Sir, I have something to show you but it must b on air.”

“Are you crazy?”

“Trust me, I won’t let you down. It quite a fortune but you can only see it when it is on air”

He was in a shock for a while until he said

“Get the cameras, boards, chairs everything immediately”

Chloe was so happy, she was quite nervous but at the same time happy.

The camera was now placed at her LIVE

“Hi, my name is Chloe Jackson and I’m a teenager. 18 by age and loving by attitude. I’m here to portrait a new version of myself…”

Someone told the manager

“Great, she is talking about her personality.”

“Just wait and listen”

“I would love to say firstly that I have been treated badly ever since I was little but no one knew my inner hopes and desires. They mocked me and frustrated my life entirely and I put all the blames on my loving mom – Elsa Jackson, and I regret it a lot but anyways, here is my project”

She brought out a device that expanded by just striking a button. It developed into different parts.

“This device is a transporting device that transports you to any part of the world you wish to go to. It not only transports but also, provides you with requirements, my hypothesis and theories has been made and identified, my experiments have also been done and successfully, it worked as you can see.”

She stretched her hands and showed how she experimented with a live rabbit. She also elaborated its uses and effects. It was worldwide…everything she made took her up to five years and here it is. The news spread mostly in school and Mr. Frank was sacked. Her enemies had to pay their price. Companies struck a deal with her and she innovated as more as she could possibly create. At the age of 21 she was already a rich bastard with no regrets but happy with her lovely mother. How hard is it to let out the real being waiting to be unleashed for so long? How hard is it?

September 12, 2021 13:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.