0 comments

Drama Suspense Crime

It was the only way we could possibly get past all the guards. We couldn’t fight them. We couldn’t turn back now.

“It has to be you, no one else can use that kind of magic, go get us a round of keys,” our leader instructed with an authoritative nod.

With slight nervousness from the pressure, I conjured up enough magic to transform into one of the entertainers of the evening and trotted up to the main gate of the royal palace.

“Sir! Please!” I yelled desperately, putting on a high-pitched, vulnerable voice, “I’ve lost my group!”

I laid my hands elegantly on the guard’s shiny chest armour and pleaded with large eyes. He puffed out his chest slightly and grunted to clear his throat, “Do not fear, ma’am. I’ve seen your caravan pass into the fortress gate. Follow me.”

With a loud sigh of relief, I flashed a gorgeous pearly-white smile and placed a hand atop my bosoms as if the entire world had just been saved. His partnered guard noticed my outfit and called out a friendly greeting, prompting me to wave back enthusiastically.

“Thank you so much, please, tell me how can I ever repay you?” I insisted with eagerness.

He glanced down at me with a righteous expression, “No need to thank me, ma’am. I am just doing my duty.”

The keys around his armoured belt taunted me with incessant jingling. The others were still waiting patiently in the dark of the woods. I wondered how much time our leader expected me to take. I threw myself upon the guard, with teary eyes, “You don’t understand! No one’s ever been this kind to me before. I…I just can’t go on.”

With an incredibly convincing performance, I squatted down and burst into an uncontrollable sob. With fear of his colleague overhearing, the guard hushed me.

“It’s okay miss,” he whispered with a reassuring pat on the back. I stared back up at him like a lost, helpless animal. My lips quivered between desperate gasps for breath amongst the crying, “I can’t show up like this. Please don’t take me back to my caravan – not yet!”

The guard took his duty seriously. He was determined to help me reunite with the entertainers while remaining professional. My plan required tweaking.

“Please just let me clean my face somewhere private first,” I begged.

“I can take you to a spare bathroom in the palace through a side entrance. Then we must make haste. It’s no good having you separate from your people,” he instructed. I felt a wave of excitement rush over me. An inconspicuous entryway. Wonderful.

“You’re much too kind…what is your name?” I asked.

“Sir Lawrence, and yours?”

“Lavinia De Marino,” I said with quaking confidence.

“That’s a beautiful name.”

I forced a blush and battered my eyelids, encouraging him to lower his guard. There was a moment of intimacy before Lawrence coughed to break the silence.

“Uh, follow me this way, ma’am.”

I crept along beside him, taking slow, delicate steps. As he reached for his keys, I faked a trip and launched myself towards him. Instinctively, he caught me in his arms.

“Oh my goodness, I’m so sorry!” I said, leaning all my weight onto him. He grunted quietly as he maintained his balance. I reached for the keys but failed to swipe them. He stabilised me gently and carried on unlocking and opening the door. I smiled delicately and giggled at the accident.

“Lawrence, you really are the nicest person I’ve ever met,” I said as I stepped into the palace.

“It's nothing really,” he insisted. As he gestured towards the bathroom I took a moment to revaluate. If I went into the bathroom there was a small possibility that Lawrence would return to duty or have an inside guard complete the escort. I faced Lawrence again, moving in closer than before.

“I must repay you. Please let me dance for you…somewhere private.”

From beneath his silver helmet, I could see his lips part in shock.

“Lavinia, you don’t need to…”

I stepped in even closer and hushed him, “I want to. I never get to dance for decent men. Please let me. I beg of you.”

With a serious force of mystery and seduction on my side, he was charmed.

“Alright. We can go to my quarters briefly, but then I must ensure you are returned to your group.”

“Of course. Please, hurry, I shouldn’t be seen alone without the other dancers.”

In a passionate rush, we were upon the second floor and down a dozen hallways. He unlocked the door to his room and double-checked to ensure no one had followed. He slipped his helmet off and sat on the bed.

“Again, you don’t need to…”

My hips motioned in a slow sway as I approached him, “Shh, don’t ruin a good time.”

“I just… you seem like a lovely person and well… you don’t have to dance like this for people for the rest of your life.”

I let my hair down and flipped it to the side with a half-smile, “What do you mean?”

“I could protect you. I could give you a home and a place to live, I earn a decent wage. We could find another path for you.”

I was upon his lap making all kinds of intoxicating movements, yet he persisted.

“Lavinia, you’re also one of the nicest people I’ve ever met. Please let me help you.”

As a part of a twirl, I turned to face him.

“Oh, Lawrence, it could never work between us.”

“Why not?”

In a smooth motion, my disguise revoked; long blonde hair turned to smoky brown, bright blue eyes swirled to darkness and a gorgeous dancer’s outfit warped into leather armour.

He gasped in utter terror as he noticed the symbol on my armour, “I don’t believe it…you’re…you’re with the Shadow Guild?!” 

I tightened my right glove, “That’s right,” and then sucker-punched Lawrence so hard he hit the ground without a sound.

August 20, 2021 11:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.