5 comments

Holiday

A crowded hallway greets me as I pass through our school's gate. Holiday's break just ended, and now I have a new year to deal with, 'new beginning' as they say. I went straight to my locker and grab my book for the first class, which is Literature. I'm a senior high school student who always has the highest grade in the class, though I hate school. And don't even ask me how I maintain my grades, I'm just good at doing things I don't like. While others are good at loving someone who doesn't love them back, It feels the same.


"Hey, Casey!" Erica greeted as she walks with me.


"Oh... hey Erica," I greeted back.


Erica is my friend. I don't actually make friends with anybody, She must feel special for that. She should be.


"How's the vacay?" She asks.


"Oh, that was like the eighteenth time you ask me. You were texting and calling me throughout the holiday." I said sarcastically. "It was great. We just spend it at home with the fam." I replied anyway.


"I know right! I just trying to ask you the same question over and over. I was planning on making it to fifty," she said while giggling. "But the heck, your answers were all the same!" She laughs.


"And what do you expect me to answer? It was all the same questions. You should expect the same answers too. You're going crazier these days." I laugh unbelievably, before continuing, "were you taking your medications these days?"


We both walked to our class with laughter and crazy topics. I couldn't really believe this alien I'm talking with.


We enter the classroom, and as usual. The room was very noisy. Some of the guys are even playing a wild MMA on the floor and some are with their phones playing games. And of course, girls are gonna be girls, they there are painting something on their faces with those colorful pallets. I can't even tell if I'm attending the right school for me.


Erica and I were seatmates so I always have someone to chat with. People often call me a nerd, though I don't look like one. Erica and I often fight, especially when she's absent. It's just doesn't feel right when she's not here.


The class went back to more humanly when our literature professor steps inside the classroom. He's a tall man with an army cut hair that makes him look weird, it just doesn't suit his huge face. Just don't bother to imagine it.


"Morning class!" He greeted before pushing his glasses.


"Good Morning, Mr. Felix!" The class said in unison. I don't bother to add, it feels stupid greeting 'good morning' in slow motion.


"That's good, so, I thought that since we're celebrating the new year. There would be no class for today." Right after Mr. Felix announced the class was in chaos. But that doesn't take to long before our literature teacher continues, "So, instead of making class discussions. I want you all to write down your new year's resolution. Specialty for you Jake, I want to hear your resolution for this year. After writing it down, I want you all to present it in front, for there would be witnesses." He then let out a satisfied smirk, also known as his legendary smirk, it was something like someone just completes its mission to trick his students.

Creepy.


So, A new year's resolution? A piece of cake!


I grab a paper and a pen from my bag and started to write my name and date. I titled the paper 'My 2020 New Year's Resolution'. When everything is so far so good. I point my pen at the paper ready to start a paragraph. But... Something made me think twice.


A new year's resolution?


Then I realized that I've never done a new year's resolution.


Damn.


This is nothing good.


I think of something I could write on my paper where only my name and the title was written on it.


Okay... Casey...focus.


Just think... Anything...


Augh...


I can't do this anymore.


How can I write a new year's resolution when I don't really believe in those. I wanted to just write something on that paper, but I just can't lie in front of everyone, I can't stand it.


I look at my side and saw Erica written half of the paper already. And then there is this voice at the moment that makes my heart beats fast.


"Okay... Time is up! We have to start presenting your works" Mr. Felix announced and looked around before he continues, "Jake, you go first."


Without any words, also known as a bad boy at the school stands up and walked to the front with his paper.


"Good Morning," he starts off. "This is my new year's resolution. And I really wish to fulfill it all." He said before looking at his paper and clearing this trout. " For this year 2020, I want to change a few things about myself. First, I want to go to the gym regularly to have a fitted body. You all know whats the purpose of that." He clears his trout, again. " and lastly, I want to date Bella, Let's meet after class" He winks at Bella in the second row, before going back to his seat.


"For that, Jake, I'll give you thirty out of a hundred. I don't really like the way you joke around this very serious situation." Mr. Felix commented.


"I'm serious." Said Jake before giving Bella another wink. "Thanks for the thirty by the way." He continued as he gave Mr. Felix a smirk.


The names were soon mentioned to propose their new year's resolution in front, and the list goes on, and others even made a perfect score.


Feeling nervous about Mr. Felix will sooner call out my name. I can't really think straight. I don't have time to make this up.


While thinking of a solution Mr. Felix called out my name. I looked at him in worried and I really don't know what to do now.


"Casey It's your turn." He called out again.


Without thinking further, I stand up and walked in front. I face my classmates with nervousness taking over my body, and Mr. Felix suddenly spoke, "where's your paper?" He asks behind his glasses.


"Amm. The thing is...that... I refuse to do a new year's resolutions, Mr. Felix." I answer with a shaking voice. I can't even hear what I was saying. I hope this idea will work. Yes, that's right I refuse to do it. It takes me a while to realize also.


"Ok, then just explain why." He declared.


I feel a little relief at the idea of Mr. Felix not getting mad or disappointed at me, but instead, he looked at me with a question and interest. He knows that I'm not a person who just miss such a thing in class.


I feel a little hope flashed through me knowing that I could somehow make these people in front of me interested in this topic.


"Well... I don't really do new year's resolutions, because for me It doesn't make any sense. But, before you can even react. I want you all to first hear me out." I take a deep breath, I wish these would turn out for good, before I continue, "I mean, what's the purpose of making a new year's resolution when you can make one every day?" I question, there's confusion in all of their eyes. "My point is if you want to change something about yourself, why don't you do it today instead of waiting for the new year to come. Right?" I saw them all nod their heads for agreement. Ohh, I'm doing good. "New Year's resolution is not supposed to be an annual change. It should be an everyday improvement. If I want to change something about my self, I don't wait for the new year to come and write that will on my new year's resolution. And maybe that is why I can't write anything on my new year's resolution right now, for I have already achieved it even the year have come. So I hope that that is enough reason that I have nothing to present to you guys. Thank you for listening." I end, and with embarrassment inside me, I looked down before hearing them all clapped. Then I have gained the courage to face Mr. Felix who was also clapping.


I smiled.


"But you don't do what was told. That means you're not following instructions. But I like what you just did, that was great Casey." Mr. Felix stated and gave me a thumbs up.


I smile wider, a good job for me. I think I did great.


Everything was going well, before Mr. Felix continued, " So, I'm giving you noting out a hundred. You're not getting out of this Casey." Then he gives me one of his legendary smirks.


Spare me.





January 21, 2020 09:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Mia Hern
16:00 Feb 01, 2020

Hi, there! Your story was darling. But it kinda left me wanting a little more. Casey is interesting, but I would have loved to see her building up to the end more. She has a great voice, cute personality, but I need more reaction or reflection...I don’t know. Also, I know it is hard catching mistakes, I had to edit my story seven times during the week even after running it through an editing software. The tiny errors took me out of the story. If you need a second pair of eyes, send me a message. I’ll read for free. 😁

Reply

Paige Weber
23:48 Feb 01, 2020

Hey Mia, Thank you for reading my first written short story here on Reedsy. I would really appreciate it if you help me glorify my work. ❤

Reply

Mia Hern
15:52 Feb 02, 2020

No problem! miahern83@gmail.com I'm not a professional editor...i'm a high school teacher, so I will do my best.

Reply

Paige Weber
01:38 Feb 03, 2020

Thanks Mia, I really appreciate it. I'm a high school student by the way. So, is it ok to call you teacher? I will email you soon. I'm working on it.

Reply

Mia Hern
04:37 Feb 06, 2020

Absolutely, Miss Weber! I’m Mrs. Hernandez to my students.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.