A Step towards Dreams

Submitted into Contest #89 in response to: Start your story with a character taking a leap of faith.... view prompt

0 comments

Happy Teens & Young Adult


Do you know the feeling when you have a fear of change or new things, but your heart just doesn’t let you quit! That is the feeling I am feeling right now. From the moment when I was born all the important decisions of my life were taken by my parents. From the career selection to the person, I am going to merry! That is how the Indian parents worked they want to be part of their children's every small or large events. I loved my parents no doubt in that. But I secretly craved for the freedom they never gave me. they are not bad parents, it’s just that they are way too much protective.

I don't blame them for that they are parents and they behave that way kind of comes naturally as you become a parent I guess?. but this is something I really want to do and make something of myself and be the first person in the family to go to a foreign country for higher education.

I finally got selected for the scholarship I wanted from last two years it’s like a dream come true. I did my research for the scholarship like a maniac. but now the biggest huddle in the race from my house to the university is convincing my parents. It looks easy, but it’s not! their first reaction to this would be “why”,” why did you had to apply to a different country, when our country also has best education facilities”. And I would try to convince them with all my might, but then I had to do it. It was my one-time chance, and I was not going to let it slide. I tried talking to them in a very calm tone to make them understand that this is something I really want to do and they should support me.

***

After a lot of discussion and arguments my parents finally agreed to let me go. The moment felt like I have won a world cup. The thing about India is we Indians love cricket.so the world cup is like a big thing for every Indian. and of course food we people are complete foodies, let's not talk about food I might get hungry again. One thing about mothers is they want to fit there whole house in one suitcase for there child because as my mom quotes" keep it, you might need it emergencies never happen with warning". and as a result I had three suitcases for a single person. Finally, the day arrive when I had to board the flight for Seoul, south Korea. My mum was in tears so was my dad, yes, I was going to miss them, and it took a big leap in faith to decide to go Korea and take a new step in life. So, I did what I had to do I said my goodbyes and got on the plane it was terrifying on the plane for the first time without my parents or any guardian.

After hours passed which felt like a while I landed in Seoul, I took a taxi, and it was difficult because I didn’t speak the language. I somehow manage to tell him the address thanks to the Online classes which I took just before arriving I knew just the basics. I got to the hostel, adjusted myself and video called my parents. The next day was going to be my first day in a new city, where I don’t know anyone. I woke up way to early the next day got ready and headed straight out in the city. I was scared off course I have never been away from my house and without my parents. It turned out to be a different feeling a mixture of anxiety and excitement.

***

I got everything it needed to be done the first thing in the morning got assigned for the language class provided by the university and met some fellow people in the program and thought to take a walk around the area get familiar with the neighborhood.

South Korean is a big country and the capital city of this country was going to be my home from now on for next three years. It was a big city, lot of people walking on the streets. Big tower like buildings, one thing about Seoul is people are way too busy here. Nobody has time to even look up from their phones, there are shops everywhere and street foods are like to die for. whenever I look at them, they remind me of India. India also has a very large variety of street food, on that thought I can start drooling right now.

People here are really polite and helpful I must say. They are nice people and the pop music is really something you can dance on with energy as well as feel. you don’t need to understand the lyrics, the music will literally take you like a storm.  

***

First few weeks I missed home a lot. It came to a point when I cried because I missed my mom way too much. But now I have adopted the living here I have made some friends who are really sweet and helpful. I kind of started liking this new found freedom, now I don’t need to use the map to travel or any instruction it’s like I have become the part of the city now. It feels nice and adventures, now I have started to see the real beauty of this city which teaches you something new everyday. this new found adulthood which I think every twenty something should experience. You can’t relay on your parents forever this is something which will help you in the long run of your life.

And I have realized something, this feeling I would have never felt. if I had stayed at same place and let the life flow the way it is without any effort. You need to hustle harder and be attentive in whatever you do. your life will take you to a beautiful and meaningful journey.

April 13, 2021 15:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.