19 comments

Christmas Speculative Fiction

I'm seated here, with twelve strangers, at a table covered with a faded red cloth, set with antique dishes and cutlery. Three candles flicker constantly, and most of us don't know or remember why. The food is good, made with ancient ingredients that are hard to come by and expensive, so the portions are small. Most of it is too salty or sweet for my tastes, but the recipes must be followed. It all started in 2022, long before my time when religious celebrations were still safe and legal. So, we now call this our 'Winter Gathering' and still practice this ritual every December. I don't know how the money lasted for so many decades, it is still paid, so the tradition continues.

This is the story of the first "Winter Gathering', in what was the United States of America. It's supposed to be an accurate tale handed down for generations. Still, some say it's a myth or legend and never happened. Just like all religious-based writings, no matter the faith, they are forbidden. There were thirteen copies of the rules, but only one remains that we are sure of.

This is the most original version of the story told by a child at the first gathering, and she said:

We were all seated around the table for Christmas dinner when someone knocked on the door. Dad got up to answer it, thinking it was a neighbor or carolers, but it was an elderly woman who we thought was a stranger. She carried a gift about the size of a shoe box, wrapped in beautiful green paper that sparkled, and a red velvet bow.

She entered the dining room and smiled at us, saying, " Merry Christmas."

My parents and I, my grandparents, two aunts, one uncle, and three other children. Finally, Grandma said, "I'm sorry, but do we know you?"

She smiled and said, "Probably not. I'm your second cousin from Canada, my name is Marie Traud, and I've come to share a traditional family gift with you here in America. I must do it before I die, and I'm eighty-five and thought I'd better not put it off any longer.

Dad made a place at the table for her and invited her to join us, we hadn't started eating yet, and the table looked so pretty. We filled her plate with turkey and all the fixings and set it before her. She thanked us, but I noticed she never ate a bite or took a sip of wine or water.

Marie seemed to enjoy our company and chatter and Grampa's silly jokes. She asked what we enjoyed about this meal, and most of us said it was the food, but the older folks said the company.

She remained seated while Mom and Grandma cleared the table, so we stayed instead of running to the living room to watch TV. She placed the gift in front of her and opened it. Strange, then Maria opened the gift she had brought, removed it, and gave each person a white envelope but said not to open it. Then she took one out for herself and began to read:

Dear Family and Friends,

Each of you, even babies, received a document with identical instructions.

They are as follows:

From next year on, you will continue to have a traditional family Christmas dinner (all faiths are included, but it's a Christmas tradition. When you die or cannot attend, you must choose a replacement. The food must consist of: Turkey, Chicken, or Roast Beef.

One root vegetable

One green vegetable

Salad or relish tray

Cranberries (home-cooked or shaped like a can.)

Rolls

Three kinds of dessert (Pie, cake, trifle, as long as there are 3)

Water

Wine (one or two glasses per adult. No hard liquor)

The dinner must be in a home, not a restaurant or rented hall, and the home will be selected by a volunteer for the following year's dinner. If this is not possible, then a rented room in a home-like setting, such as a Bed and Breakfast or a non-member's home.

Christmas day is preferred, but if not possible, one day in December each year.

There must be a tablecloth, napkins, china/pottery dishes (no paper or plastic) on the table. The utensils are placed as shown in the diagram here.

Silver or stainless flatware.

Three candles on the table representing Hope, Love, and Unity.

Guests should arrive by four p.m. And stay for at least two hours.

All guests will take part in the clean-up after the meal.

Optional: A gift exchange

Christmas Crackers

Music ( recorded or live).

A tree and/or decorations

An attorney or legal representative will also be present to observe that these requests (rules) are followed. Each qualifying guest will receive a check for $5,000 via registered mail within ten days.

Then Marie stood and said, "I know this sounds strange, but there will be a time when this group will be essential for human history." She then walked out, and we never saw her again. We followed these instructions for as long as I lived, and hope they are continued.

###

So here we are, twelve descendants or friends of descendants or strangers. I've met some of these folks over the past five years. People come and go or choose not to continue, calling it silly and pointless, even with the stipend. Many of us look forward to it. Such a quaint and friendly tradition. The food has changed over the years because few people eat meat or fowl anymore, so everything is plant-based or bio-produced. A few things remain, like cranberries in some form and vegetables. One of the longest-standing members or a volunteer is entrusted with keeping the tub of tablecloths, which shows its age, and someone cleans and mends it. They also store china remains or replaces pieces as they wear out or break. It is rare now but was very cheap and plentiful at thrift shops for many years, so duplicates were added when these items became increasingly rare and expensive. 

I'll enjoy the meal and the companionship. However, sitting on a hard chair while eating is uncomfortable, and I no longer use forks or spoons. We play the recorded music low and don't exchange gifts, as we want to avoid calling attention to what we do. Gathering in groups is frowned upon and sometimes dangerous, with drones and cameras everywhere.  Sometimes we are referred to as an ancient, secret cult and are accused of all sorts of rituals, such as human sacrifice or unauthorized sexual practices. But all we do is relive a much-revered tradition from long ago.

December 31, 2022 01:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

17:44 Jun 21, 2023

Patricia, I really loved this story. Never looked at festivities this way! Keep it up :)

Reply

18:24 Jun 21, 2023

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
16:55 Jan 10, 2023

This is so eerie. And I think that is because it is something that doesn't seem that far off from what could happen in the near future. Our traditions, however big or small, intimate or wide-spread are part of what bond us so I find it scary to think of them being outlawed. Is it even possible or will they just morph into something else because the need to have them is so great?

Reply

17:18 Jan 10, 2023

Thank you so much for your input. I went to Catholic School in the 60's and we were contantly told that Russia and China had outlawed religion. With the climate in this country lately - I don't see this happening, but give it a few hundred years and it could happen. I personally have a strong belief system in "God" - but I'm appalled at how much war, hate and tragedy come from 'organized' religion - and maybe if it were outlawed only the truly faithful would risk it. Again, thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
06:55 Jan 06, 2023

You have been very clever here Patricia! I'm going to read this again at leisure to find out how to make dystopian fiction work at short story level. I've never attempted it before as I've thought how on earth can you build a broken alternate world within 3000 words, but I think I'm going to be able to learn from you! Leave it to later, and then broad brushwork is enough!

Reply

15:38 Jan 06, 2023

Thank you! This idea has been rolling around in my head for decades - ever since the Nuns told us that religion was outlawed in China and Russia (60 years ago!) - so I turly apreciate you comment. This is my first dystopian piece.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
17:25 Jan 05, 2023

Hi Patricia, I love stories that explain how traditions came to be. This set up is unique, how the narrator recalls the original telling of how this tradition started. It is a story worth telling with its curious stranger barging in to deliver a message and then leaving. The idea that gatherings are not allowed and the presence of drones and cameras is eerie. It doesn't feel far off... especially during the pandemic when people were asked to report large gatherings. Definitely gives us a lot to think about. If this ever happens, what traditi...

Reply

20:49 Jan 05, 2023

Thank you so much! I've wondered about this for a long time - after reading about countries like China and Russia banning religion. xo

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
21:19 Jan 05, 2023

That's a scary speculatory rabbit-hole to fall into! Thanks for sharing this!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
22:33 Jan 04, 2023

I take editing seriously because I like it. Praise is great, of course, and I like that too. I don't know if you would consider any critique useful, but along with the great imagination there are some things to just quickly consider. Typo, Marie and Maria early on. Then the following is confusing: She placed the gift in front of her and opened it. Strange, then Maria opened the gift she had brought, removed it I liked the time juxtaposition. Keep up the good work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Delbert Griffith
22:43 Jan 03, 2023

Love the concept, Patricia. I bet Jesus and His followers were accused of being a cult as well. Nicely done.

Reply

23:26 Jan 03, 2023

That was my thought - and people like John Lennon, Bob Marley, Prince (who stopped using his own name because Sony owned him and anything he said, published or filmed) - Jesus was starting to get quite a following - so dangerous. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
02:10 Dec 31, 2022

Incredibly cool speculative concept, Patricia! Loved it, and it was well-fleshed-out despite the word count limits here. Unusual and delightful, and great writing, too! Thanks for the story!

Reply

02:15 Dec 31, 2022

Thank you so much! This is the first entry started on thursday night! Gammarly said it was 1111 words - were they wrong?

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
02:17 Dec 31, 2022

No not at all! I just meant that it is tough to fit enough detail into any short story (let alone one that has to be less than 3k words :) for it to be well-explained sometimes, but you did so quite beautifully!

Reply

02:19 Dec 31, 2022

Whew - I had a hard time making it to 1000 - because it would be that or 20,000 - ha. Thanks so much!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
02:23 Dec 31, 2022

haha Sure, sorry I was unclear; I tend to hang out in the 985-words-better-add-a-few-adjectives area, myself! :)

Reply

02:34 Dec 31, 2022

I write a lot of stories for Chicken Soup For The Soul (3 published - yay) and the story has to be my experience and I think short (about 500 words) - so, wow.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.