0 comments

Fiction Friendship LGBTQ+

 18th March 1918.

Dearest Armand, As conveyed to you by cable I was delivered of a girl child at home with the help of a local midwife on the 15th at 1-30 AM. As decided I have named the baby Narcisse. She has the official name of Narcisse Segal. She has the same blue eyes like you. Doesn’t cry much. I have also sent cables to my parents in Rouen announcing the happy event. The neighbors had dropped in to see the new arrival. They know you work for the French foreign service and have now been posted in far away Ouagadougou. I’ve sent a cable to inform my parents in Rouen. You had said you are likely to come on leave within 90 days. I do hope you will. Narcisse is crying for her feed. I will write again. Bye! Francine.

23rd May 1925

Dear Armand, I have told you that Narcisse is now at school in Ecole le bon sauveur. She has become a favorite pupil of Mother Matilda. Matilda says that Narcisse is very intelligent and that she has artistic talent and should be encouraged in the line such as in sketching painting and so on. I saw a picture painted by Narcisse. It was very nice. Her talent has been identified and we will leave it to her to follow whatever she chooses. Bye! Francine.

18th May 1936:

Mama dear, I arrived in Marseilles after a comfortable journey on the SS NEPTUNE. We had been warned that there was a storm en route and that we could expect to be tossed by 10 metre waves. Fortunately the voyage was smooth. The ship’s captain Dubonnet had me at his table along with 2 other important people. I was thrilled. I am writing this before I leave for Rouen to be with Gramps. I will write again. Bye! Narcisse.

18th OCTOBER 1936

 Mama dear, Though it is only October it is already becoming cold. People are saying that we could expect a severe winter. Don’t worry as I have the necessary winter wear. I left Rouen and grandma was sorry that I had to leave. She is in good health. Only grandpa has a problem with his knees. The doctor has prescribed appropriate medicines which he is consuming and applying to the knees. I am now in Paris. I am going to learn painting and have enrolled at the Ecole de Paris with a number of émigré artists. Mama I was again thrilled when I was introduced to famous painter Marc Chagall. He invited me and I had dinner with him at a restaurant. Mama you know me. I know what you are thinking. You have advised me and I am very cautious in dealing with men. As I have informed you I room with the girl Sabine who is also learning painting. More in my next letter. Love. Narcisse.

15th December 1939:

Mom, You had written that you a bad cough. I do hope you are better. How is father’s eye? Is he able to read the newspapers? The good news is that Armand has come back for good. He has quit the job due to the hardships he faced. He has slogged long enough.  Narcisse came back only two days ago. She arrived by SS TRITON which sailed via Ceylon. She has come on a holiday. They say there are war clouds in the offing in France. I will be happy if Narcisse is forced to stay on a few more weeks here. She appears strange and withdrawn. She is actually getting bored here. She longs to be in Paris but the war is going on. Luckily she has found a new friend Sarah who is only slightly elder to her. Sarah is also interested in painting. Narcisse says Sarah has the ability to paint and is learning further from her. Sarah is also unmarried and her parents are financing her. The two have taken a cottage on the beach where they have set up their easels to paint. They have a part time cook to feed them. I must visit them. They are only an hour away from our home. Love. Francine.

*****

1943 DIARY OF NARCISSE:

I have none to write letters to! The war has cut off my gramps besides those I had befriended in Paris like Durand. I have therefore started writing my thoughts in a notebook. It is as if I am writing to myself! I keep it locked up as I don’t want even Sarah to read what I have written.

I am in love. Not with a male but witḥ Sarah. I told her I was a virgin and she said she was also. She wḥispered “Nick ḥad once aroused me so much I was about to yield. But then I knew tḥe consequences and prevented him.” I was very happy to ḥear her say that.

Talking to me Sarah said “You’ve made a big canvas of a bacchanal. Is it authentic?”

“It is. The ecole where I studied took my batch to a reserved beach. The scene was riveting and in a week I had the painting ready.”

“It’s great!”

To show her appreciation of me she clasped me and that started more intimate moves which I would be ashamed to write down. Not only that, I was unsure of the terms to be used!

*****

12th February 1945:

Dear Narcisse, All on a sudden without even telling me of your mind, you took a boat and went to Paris. I was totally surprised and so was Armand. We had been expecting you to get married. You had said prior to departure that women can’t be trusted. I suppose Sarah had offended you in some way. Don’t take it to heart. Remember to write as we want to hear more from you. Love. Francine.

25th May 1945:

Dear Sarah, I am back in my old haunt. After you left I abandoned my paintings. Everything has changed. Sabine is gone. I am depressed. Durand is still around and is eager for me. It is Christmas night and Durand and I are in a bar. We are drunk like the returned soldiers. Suddenly we were locked up and isolated. Durand took the initiative and I succumbed. Virgin no more like you are now! The next morning we could escape and I decided to join the nuns of the St.Agnes order. But then I longed for you though I knew you would be with your husband! Sincerely, Narcisse.

30th December 1945: Dear Mom. Armand and I are devastated since receiving a cable announcing the death of Narcisse. She had apparently swallowed several sleeping pills. I still can’t understand why she took the extreme step. Luckily Dad and you have survived the war. We have you to offer us consolation. We are considering a visit to Rouen in the near future. Will keep you updated. Love. Francine.

END

August 20, 2023 05:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.