THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL

Submitted into Contest #194 in response to: Write a story inspired by the phrase “It’s hardly brain surgery.”... view prompt

21 comments

Fiction

THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL

I entered the room, greeting my factory supervisor, sales manager, office clerk come secretary, and my accountant, Callum Bridges. They returned the greeting as I sat at the end of the table.


“Right off the bat I want to say that it’s time for us to bite the bullet and face the facts,” I said. “We can pretend that things will improve if we keep our heads in the clouds but, at the end of the day, we need to call a spade a spade and face the music. It’s hardly brain surgery. Our backs are against the wall. Prices of fuel and materials have gone through the roof leaving us in the red to the point where, in short order, Callum has informed me that we will be literally scraping the bottom of the barrel. There’s no point shutting our eyes to the truth and turning a deaf ear. Our situation is dire and time is of the essence. Be assured that I will leave no stone unturned and move heaven and earth to see to it that this company doesn’t go down the tubes. That would be a pill too bitter for me to swallow.

Two days ago I emailed to each of you my proposal that I hope will enable us to turn the tide on our flagging sales, even though it may seem like we’re going back to square one. Today, right now, I want to test the waters by getting your reaction and feedback. Please feel free to let me have it with both barrels if you think I’m barking up the wrong tree. I’m pretty thick-skinned, as you all know.”


Tom Banks, my factory supervisor, never one for being backward in coming forward, responded, “I hope I'm not jumping the gun here. I’m not trying to be a wet blanket or throw a spanner in the works but, from what I can see, this will involve some significant re-tooling, so we’ll have our work cut out to do that in short order.”

“Thanks, Tom,” I said, “You’ve been with the company through thick and thin and I acknowledge that it’s going to involve a race against the clock. I’m not expecting you to burn the midnight oil but if you and a couple of the technicians would be prepared to do some overtime and stay the course to get it done I would be eternally grateful. If needs must I’ll pay you out of my own pocket.”

“Sure. I showed your plan to Brian and Graeme yesterday and they said they would be prepared to go back to the drawing board to get the job done.”

“Thanks, Tom. Anyone else? Bevan, what about you?”

“Well," Bevan said, "from my perspective as sales manager I had a face to face with the management of the Highpoint Hardware store chain yesterday to bounce your idea off them. I showed them the mock-up you attached in your email to me.

“Very good. How did it go?”

“Yes... well, in light of sales generally their reaction was a little mixed. They acknowledged that we were breaking new ground with our product but it depends on our wholesale pricing per unit. From my discussions with you, Callum and Tom yesterday I was able to assure them that it wouldn’t cost an arm and a leg for us to manufacture and so we could offer pricing that we were confident would enable our product to sell like hot cakes. Reading between the lines, the demeanor of a couple of their middle managers indicated to me that they believe all salespeople are bullsh*t artists who should be cut down to size. Even when you bend over backwards to allay their concerns, handling them with kid gloves, they strike me as the sort of people whose first inclination is to pour cold water on anything new or different. You almost sense they would be delighted if we ended up biting off more than we can chew and ultimately going down the toilet with egg on our faces.”

“Interesting,” I chuckled. “Presumably, at least, the flushing toilet would wash the egg off our faces.”

“Ha ha,” Bevan said, continuing. “That would be true, I guess. Anyway, as I was about to say, it quickly became apparent that the negativism of those middle managers cut no ice with Highpoint's top management. They were much more positive. They wouldn't allow those two to be, as it were, the tail wagging the dog. They do ask for one concession, however.”

“Oh, what’s that?”

“One hundred units on consignment to spread across their stores here, statewide.”

“Oh.”

“What does that mean?” asked Tom.

“It means that, in this instance, we provide the goods at an agreed price, both wholesale and retail, and only when they sell them do they have to pay us. And if they don’t they can return them to us, no harm no foul.”

“Oh.”

“What do you think, Callum?”

“How deep are your pockets, Boss?” Callum asked.

“Look, I’ve got some shares I can sell that should raise about one hundred and fifty thousand dollars and I would be prepared to invest that in the company to keep us afloat.”

“Are you sure about this?” Callum asked.

“Nothing ventured nothing gained. Even though it goes somewhat against the grain the simple fact is that beggars can't be choosers. Does anyone else want to put in their two cents worth before we wrap things up?”

“I would like to say something,” said Jane, our office clerk.

“Go for it, Jane.”

“I would just like to say that you’ve been so good to me and how much I have enjoyed working here. So, perish the thought, if the poo hits the fan and everything ends up going south I just wanted to make sure that I had the opportunity to get that off my chest. I just hope that you come out smelling like roses and laughing all the way to the bank.”

“Why, thank you, Jane. I appreciate your sentiments.”

“And so say all of us,” said Tom.

“Thanks, guys. I am confident that we will soon see light at the end of tunnel. Let’s not die wondering.”

"Yes," Bevan said, "it would be very satisfying to see those two naysayers at Highpoint having to change their tune and eat humble pie."

"Amen to that."

**

Four weeks hurried by. With the shares sold and money in the bank, re-tooling done and design templates formulated, in place and tested, one hundred units had been produced, packaged and distributed on consignment across the ten of Highpoint Hardware’s stores statewide. The waiting game began. Meantime, we continued, with Tom and his crew looking at ways to refine production. No point dragging our feet. In for a penny, in for a pound. Their efforts proved successful. They found that they could combine elements of two tasks, effectively killing two birds with one stone. Not that I was at all surprised. This sort of thing is right up their alley. Those guys could give any expert a run for his money.


Three days went by. No news. By the morning of the fifth day I was like a cat on a hot tin roof. The suspense was killing me. And then we got the call. Carrie, our receptionist said that Rob Hyatt, senior sales executive for Highpoint, was on the line. As nervous as a turkey before Thanksgiving I picked up the ’phone. “Hi, Rob, how are things?” I asked, trying to appear relaxed when, in fact, my heart was beating like a drum.

“Hi, Scott,” he replied. “Thought I should give you a call.”

“Uh huh.”

“Yes, about that consignment you sent.”

“Yes, one hundred units.”

“That’s it. Any chance you can send us, say, one thousand more for nationwide distribution?”

I hesitated, not because of any doubts but because I was trying to catch my breath as my heart missed a beat. It was momentary because my heart then jumped out of my chest, doing cartwheels. “One thousand units? I replied, stunned. "Yes. Yes, of course...but, um...we would have to re-visit the terms.”

“Yes, I understand that. We would be happy to agree to, say, thirty percent advance payment pre-dispatch and sixty day terms on the balance.”

“Sounds good to me,” I said. “I’ll get our accountant, Callum Bridges, to liaise with your people and take care of that. We should be in a position to produce two hundred units for dispatch by the middle of next week and then the remaining eight hundred within the following month. We’ll burn the midnight oil if we have to.”

“Excellent. Look forward to dealing with you guys.”

“Thanks, Rob. ’Bye for now.”

“’Bye.”


One thousand units! Oh, yes, just what the doctor ordered. Okay, we’re going to have our hands full, but that’s a good thing. And it tells me that Highpoint recognizes the potential of our product; that it's not just some flash in the pan. They've worked out which way the wind is blowing.


Over the intercom I asked my staff who had attended my meeting previously to come to the meeting room. When they were all seated I did my best to put on a serious poker face, commencing, “First of all, it would seem that I have to acknowledge something that Jane said in this room a month ago." Pausing a few seconds for effect, the eyes on the small group of faces all pleading, desperate for good news, I then continued, "It looks like we are going to be laughing all the way to the bank.”

“Woohoo!” Jane shrieked.

“Couldn’t have put it better myself,” said Tom.

“Took the words right out of my mouth,” said Callum.

**

I sat in the office after the staff had left, savoring the sweet smell of success once again. When push came to shove we had faced up to the task and put in the hard yards, throwing caution to the wind. And, as Jane had hoped, we had come out smelling like roses. We had stayed the course and stuck to our guns even when, at times, it seemed like we were skating on thin ice. We had dodged a bullet. We had reached the light at the end of the tunnel and were now starting to bask in its glow, confident that we could expand into other markets, even overseas. I would need to get a world-wide patent organized and pay a visit to my bank manager. The sky's going to be the limit—as long as we keep a clear head and do our research. We don't want to get involved with any fly-by-nighters, getting our fingers burnt because they end up stabbing us in the back, leaving us high and dry owing unpaid debts. I've had that experience in the past. Old whatsisname, what a shonky individual he turned out to be; as dubious as a fox caught in a chicken coop claiming, "It was just a social visit."


I recalled saying a month ago how our need to face the facts and do something to turn the tide on our dire situation was hardly brain surgery. But what we had achieved took no small amount of brain power, with our innovation, re-tooling and production, all in short order. Add to that our determination and persistence and who could blame us right now if we felt like blowing our own trumpets?


Well, it was time to call it a day and head home, maybe gently twist my beloved’s arm and take her out on the town. If I play my cards right who knows where the evening might end? Regardless, I'll sleep like a baby when I hit the sack tonight.


I walked out into the freshening breeze, a happy portent, perhaps, of the winds of change I could feel coming over me. Or it could be the ham and onion sandwich I had for lunch…

Raindrops started falling. Next thing it was raining cats and dogs. I didn’t care. I was on that cloud up there...cloud nine.

April 15, 2023 15:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

21 comments

F.O. Morier
18:21 May 07, 2023

And when will you grace your readers with a new story???

Reply

Tim Frater
06:40 May 08, 2023

This week, but it is debatable as to whether they will feel 'grace'd...

Reply

F.O. Morier
08:47 May 11, 2023

I’m sure I will !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
22:30 Apr 24, 2023

(You look like a very young 74 year-old in your pic:) Pulled out all the stops on this one and broke all the rules. Someone else did this, too, but I think you have him beat with 106 or 7, you say. Just plain zany!

Reply

Tim Frater
04:16 Apr 25, 2023

Hey, Mary, what's with the '74'? I'm 'only' 72 [ha ha]. That photo of me was taken over 71 years ago [at 11 months] and I thought that would be preferable to posting a photo of how I look now. I was actually being considerate; I didn't want to frighten people on reedsy with how I look now...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
10:26 Apr 25, 2023

Oops. Didn't mean to age you more. Just proves my memory can't last over two clicks on the page. Cute pic. 'Ya must of been a beautiful baby...' Notice I don't post one at all! (71:)

Reply

Tim Frater
11:26 Apr 26, 2023

Well, Mary, I'm confident that you are a better looking 71 yr old than I was at 71. Some years back one of my 5 kids gave me a coffee mug, on the side of which is imprinted, "Hey, Dad, you're pretty great!" I toyed with the idea of painting over the word "great" but realized that would be pushing the limits of credibility too far...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:40 Apr 26, 2023

Witty!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
David Sweet
15:54 Apr 22, 2023

Wow! How clever. It just proves how much idioms truly are woven into the very fabric of our consciousness. Thanks for sharing this whimsical story.

Reply

Tim Frater
03:53 Apr 23, 2023

David, Thanks so much for your comment, and your "woven into the very fabric of our consciousness" idiom as relating to idioms is on the mark.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tim Frater
20:14 Apr 20, 2023

By my count 106 different idioms, including one I invented - as nervous [or cautious] as a turkey before Thanksgiving.

Reply

Show 0 replies
F.O. Morier
18:18 Apr 20, 2023

I love this! Such a positive ending!

Reply

Tim Frater
19:14 Apr 20, 2023

Thank you for your kind words, F O Morier.

Reply

F.O. Morier
19:19 Apr 26, 2023

You didn’t write a story this week?

Reply

Tim Frater
07:30 Apr 27, 2023

No, Faty. Covid 19 invaded our house hold - courtesy of one of my daughters - two weeks ago and, despite my best efforts to evade it, it got me. I'm getting over it now, with just a faint positive rapid antigen test reading today. Cold and flu pills, honey and lemon Strepsils, doctor prescribed anti-viral pills and a dose of belligerence have worked wonders, apparently... It does rob one of one's strength, though.

Reply

F.O. Morier
18:07 Apr 28, 2023

Oh my word! Please take good care of yourself! And get well SOON! Real Soon! I read your message to my grandson who always nags because of my insistence on “hygiene “ matters concerning corona You just proved it’s not over Please take good care of yourself! You’re in my thoughts!

Reply

Tim Frater
10:12 Apr 29, 2023

Thank you for your kind expressions, Faty.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
F.O. Morier
11:47 May 04, 2023

I hope you feel better !

Reply

Tim Frater
09:01 May 05, 2023

Yes, tested covid negative on the 12th day. Still tire quite easily. I guess you could call it Covid 19 lag [bit like jet lag...without the jet]. Thanks for your thoughtfulness, Faty.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.