Take Me Out to the Ballgame

Submitted into Contest #256 in response to: Set your story in the stands at a major sporting event.... view prompt

0 comments

American Friendship Romance

                “Ugg, these lines take forever. We’re going to miss the next at bat if they don’t hurry up,” Mary Anne told Suzane. “Never fails that they would want nachos right when it starts to get good.”

Suzane rolled her eyes before looking at her sister-in-law. “So frustrating. Luckily, I can pull it up to watch on my phone while I wait, but it’s still better in real time. Also, lucky that we’re near the front now.” Ten minutes later, they finally make it to the front of the line. “Two Barbeque Nachos, two beers, and two waters please,” she tells the cashier, and hands over the $50 for the food. “Thank you” she told the concessions workers as she and Mary Anne took the food and walked back towards the stands.

“Good thing the food is yummy, and the company is good, because the prices are way too high at these events.” Mary Anne commented as they walked back to their husbands, just in time for the roar of excitement, as the home team just made a triple play on the field. “Just in time,” She commented to her husband Bob as she slid into her sit. “Saw it go down right before they let us down the stairs.”

Bob leaned in for a kiss as he took a beer from her hand. “Awesome! Thank you for getting the food for us. You didn’t miss much, that last play was the extent of the excitement.” She smiled as she sat down, put the water into her cup holder, and grabbed a chip from the nachos in her hand. She shoved one bite into her mouth and followed it up by offering a piece to her husband.

              Suzane plopped down into her seat next to her husband Marco, urging him to grab one of the items in her hands. He grabbed the water and the nachos while she took a sip of the beer and placed it into the cupholder on the back of the seat in front of her. She proceeded to take a piece of the nachos while he opened the water, took a sip and placed his drink into the cupholder.  

“I love you,” Marco says to Suzane. “Thank you for the food, I appreciate it.”

              “You’re welcome,” she said with a smile. “Just grateful we didn’t miss too much of the game too.” She was so looking forward to this game. They had been married for 5 years and it was their anniversary. An odd choice to spend their anniversary with her sister and her husband, but it was all fun. It also seemed appropriate considering that Marco had proposed at this very game six years ago and got married in the stadium the following year. This was a super special game and stadium for them, and Suzanne and Marco couldn’t help to get lost in their special memories.

              The players were almost done switching roles for the bottom of the inning. Suzzane and Mary Anne looked at each other over their husbands and smiled big. Marco and Bob looked at their wives, then at each other in confusion. Luckily, due to being the 7th inning, it lasted a lot longer than normal, due to the 7th inning stretch. Mary Anne pulled out her phone and appeared to start taking pictures (but had it on video instead). Right before the inning would have restarted a video started to play on the big screen. Images and videos of their proposal and wedding day were played for all the stadium to see. As the video came to an end, the cameras zoomed in on Suzanne and Marco. Smiling big, they kissed, and the rest of the stadium broke out in applause. As the cheers died down, the music started, the game started back up. “Did you know that was going to happen?” Bob asked Marco as they sat down.

              “Nope. Did you?” Marco questioned as he looked at his wife.

              “Of course I did. Someone had to make the arrangements.” Suzanne said. Looking at Mary Anne she continued, “Mary Anne helped me put together the video, and I arranged with the powers that be to get it set up. It was a lot of fun to do, and they were excited to help us out, considering our history with the stadium.”

              “Well, I loved it,” Marco said as he gave her a hug and kiss. “Thank you very much.”

              “You’re so welcome,” she smiled. Looking at Mary Anne and Bob, she continued, “Hey guys, I’m going to need a copy of those pictures and videos. Need to add them to the collection.”

              “Of course,” Bob and Mary Anne said, as they started shuffling through their phones, and sending them to Suzanne’s email, to make it easier for her to find and store later. Upon finishing up, they all returned to eating their nachos, sipping their drinks, and cheering on their team as they were batting. They absolutely loved watching the game, and as the inning ended, Marco and Suzanne wandered to the team’s fan store to look around for something special to commemorate their day.

              Bob looked at Mary Anne as they were taking the last few bites of the nachos they had ordered earlier. “That was a very awesome thing you helped her do. I loved it, you are absolutely amazing.”

              “Thank you, anything for my sister. And you’re pretty awesome yourself. Which reminds me, do you have anything in mind that you would like to do for our anniversary? It’s coming up soon you know.” Mary Anne said.

              “I know. I’ll think about some ideas, though I’ll have to think up something equally as awesome as this,” he said thoughtfully as he placed a kiss upon her nose.

              Twenty minutes later, Suzanne and Marco returned in time for the 9th inning, with fun gifts from the store in their possession. Big smiles on their faces, Mary Anne and Bob let them to their seats, and all four of them cheered loudly as their team scored yet another homerun, winning the game 15 to 2. Following the game, they checked in with some of the staff and collected some treats that they had put together for Suzanne and Marco. When done, they found their way to a picnic table to watch the fireworks from. After the fireworks were done, the two couples left utterly fulfilled and excited for the years to come.

June 28, 2024 17:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.