Rainy Days and Lemon-Yellow Umbrellas

Submitted into Contest #47 in response to: As you check your mail, you notice a letter that makes you stop in your tracks.... view prompt

19 comments

Sad Bedtime

Dear You,


The sky was grumpy. The clouds were shaggy like the grey mane of a wolf. Underneath the shaggy clouds was a glowing red button. The clouds would cry occasionally and freckle the yew trees with thick water. The tree-scented droplets would drip onto your lemon-yellow umbrella.


I watched you.


I watched you as you curled into a little ball, and tucked yourself under the eaves. I wanted to run to you. I wanted to hug you and comfort you and tell you that you'd be alright.


But I couldn't.


So I watched you from afar.


I love you because when your parents came to you with a warm sweater and ample love, my frown broke into a smile.


That was when you were four. You ran away from home, I don't know why but you did. You were safe the whole time. I looked out for you.


Because I care for you.


I remember the day when the heavy summer rain was pouring upon my head and you were watching your mother and I fight.


I was the bad guy.


Your mother was right.


So I left you.


I love you because I take the scarce paper I find and write using the minimal light that pours out of my grey barred windows. I love you because it's hard for me to mail them. Most of the time, I have piles of untouched words scribbled on yellow paper flooding my room.


This paper will never reach you. It won't. It will sit along with my thousand other papers in my jail cell. But one day, maybe you will receive this.


You might be flaming with anger.


Or bright and happy.


Or sad.


But people make mistakes, and I made one. So please try to forgive me.


I love you.


Your,

Father



Dear You,


You are probably seventeen now.


I used to imagine things. I used to imagine you and I walking through the University Campus on Orientation Day. I used to imagine you asking me questions and I answering them with a smile glued to my face. The weather would be sunny and bright on that day, and you would be so excited that you'd jump around every few minutes. After that, I'd take you to Dairy Queen and we'd discuss your future over a Blizzard. And you'd drop the icecream all over your shirt and I would laugh and then accidentally drop it all over my shirt.


But you are probably doing that with your stepfather now.


I hope you are well.


Your,

Father


Dear You,


I don't know if you are married and in a big cookie-cutter. You might be in a cheap apartment or travelling the world. You might already have kids.


Wherever you are, I still love you.


If you are planning to have kids or if you already have them. Or If you want to adopt them. Or if you don't even want any kids I want you to know something.


If you are in your nice big house, with your child's head resting against his shoulder, you will probably know how amazing it is to have a child of your own.


And you probably love this child very very very much.


I love you more.


I love you through the quantum portals and back, I love you as much as the sky loves stars.


But my love must be restrained. Because I can't love you. Because I want what's best for you. My love is like a free stallion, but the stallion must be captured by a rope.


Your,

Father


Dear You,


I'm getting old. I'm not young anymore. I can't shoot hoops or run laps. I cannot read stories without thick reading glasses.


I remember that day when you were playing basketball. You were the only girl on your team. But you were still excellent. In my eyes and everybody else who had a little sense in them. You would do fabulous layouts and amazing steals. But one day, you beat a bulky boy. He had a small red nose like a tomato glued onto his circular face, his hair was carrot red and his smile was missing two front teeth from an earlier fight. He came up to you and started to beat you up, I ran over there and picked up the boy like he was a fly and placed him very very very far from you. Then later, when we got home I taught you self-defence.


You will probably never see me again.


We used to talk about cumulous clouds and sweet lemons, pink peonies, soft teddy bears, frosted cupcakes, and everything you loved.


But you probably don't remember me.


Your,

Father


Dear You,


Give your mother a rose. The red red ones that grow deep in the grove, and show her the fresh beehives that swung and thrummed on the thin brown branches.


Please tell her I'm sorry.


I'm sorry for getting desperate and stealing.


Because it was wrong of me.


But what I care most about is if you will forgive me. And if you do, give me a sign.


Dear You,


My hands are red and wrinkled and my back aches almost every second. My eyes are always glazed and nothing can cure me.


When I'm hot, I refresh myself.


When I'm cold, I warm myself.


When I'm thirsty, I drink water.


When I'm hungry, I eat.


But when I feel a great big hole in my heart, there is nothing I can do.


Yours,

Father


Dear You,


I am dying. And I can't write any more to you. I'm sorry. Just remember I love you.


Because every part of me is dead except my love for you.


Yours,

Father

June 21, 2020 19:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

Elle Clark
21:29 Jun 27, 2020

What a touching series of letters! You’ve managed to convey a father’s love beautifully and I really like that it’s in letter form, too, which allows you to show the passing of time so easily. I kept waiting for the child to respond and I was so sad when they didn’t. One thing though was that the prompt was for second person, whereas you’ve written in first person. It doesn’t affect the quality of the writing though. Very emotive!

Reply

ℤ ℍ☮️
22:38 Jun 27, 2020

Thank you so so much! I read somewhere that this form was second person too, but I might be wrong. Thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. Ray
18:40 Jun 26, 2020

This was really difficult for me to read since it reminded me so much of hard times, but I think you captured it pretty much perfectly. It was so real and painful; I think the only rocky part is how often there is a drop (the one liners), but I can't figure out whether that makes it too jagged or if I like it because that makes it more realistic...

Reply

ℤ ℍ☮️
20:51 Jun 26, 2020

Thank you so so much! I'm sorry that it was hard for you to read, but I'm glad you thought it was good!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
15:10 Jun 24, 2020

This is great Z! I loved it:)

Reply

ℤ ℍ☮️
00:41 Jun 26, 2020

Thank you!!!

Reply

Batool Hussain
05:31 Jun 26, 2020

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Yoomi Ari
21:29 Jun 23, 2020

I love that you’ve associated this story with Father’s Day! This story started off with dear you which really gets the readers attention. You’ve always remembered the audience through each paragraph and put them in the spotlight. Great work!! :)

Reply

ℤ ℍ☮️
23:07 Jun 23, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Yoomi Ari
14:51 Jun 24, 2020

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jubilee Forbess
03:05 Jun 22, 2020

Especially since today was Father's Day, I loved this story!

Reply

ℤ ℍ☮️
16:37 Jun 22, 2020

Ya, that's why I was inspired to do this story!

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
16:38 Jun 22, 2020

Lovely!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tvisha Yerra
02:16 Jun 22, 2020

Creative take on the prompt!

Reply

ℤ ℍ☮️
02:34 Jun 22, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:45 Jun 28, 2020

Dear you, I loved this. Excellent!

Reply

ℤ ℍ☮️
22:22 Jun 28, 2020

Thank you!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Asad Halai
00:50 Jun 28, 2020

Fantastic build up to the end.

Reply

ℤ ℍ☮️
01:45 Jun 28, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.