The Secret Passage to Happiness in 1945

Submitted into Contest #30 in response to: Write a story in which someone finds a secret passageway.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery

Ester's mother walked to the stairs, and said, “Ester, it’s time to go! We can’t miss our train!” This summer Ester-Rose Willow was going to spend the summer by the seashores of Maine, in her great-grandmother's house. Ester was only five years old and had never left the City, and for the first time, she was going to be on a train, and see the sea! Since her father had gone missing in the war, and Rosemary, her mother had fallen ill, she had never ever gone to see the sea! This summer was special, her mother was sending her to stay alone at her Great-grandmother’s house.

             “Remember, Grannie Lacey has a dog. You are not to bully or tease the poor thing. Grand-pappy Henry will have to go to work, and Auntie Marinette will be there to help take care of you. I will come and join you in two weeks, be good. I love you Ester-Rose.”

“I love you, too, mommy.” Ester’s voice was full of excitement, but she was terribly nervous.

She boarded the train and started towards the great unknown of the seaside. Her mother had dressed her in her best clothes, her little feet had soft brown Marry-Janes on them, and you could see her little white socks, her dress was navy blue, and her hair was pulled back with a pink ribbon. It was 1945, and she felt like a queen! The Train ride was only an hour long and was the best trip of Ester’s life! The Conductor had let her wear his hat, and then he bought her Chocolate milk.  They arrived at the Seaside train stop, and When she was helped out of the Train car, she saw her Aunt Marinette and Uncle Jimmy! They had come to take her to the seaside. Ester had only met uncle Jimmy once, but her mother always spoke highly of him.

"Ester-Rose!! Over here!!" Called Aunt Marinette.

              Uncle Jimmy took her small suitcase, and they started walking to the car. Aunt Marinette was Ester's mother's youngest sister. She was only 16, and Uncle Jimmy was the oldest, he was 31. The car ride from the train station to the House was the most beautiful drive Ester had ever taken. She was used to the busy streets of Boston, and after all, she was only 5 years old, she hadn’t been on many drives yet. When they arrived at the beautiful House, Ester was stuck with its beauty. It was called the Rose Garden House. Since Ester could remember, her mother always told her about the beautiful rose gardens that were at the house. The Family had been taking care of the Rose Garden since the Civil War.

The family was now taking new boarders for the house, but the summer was reserved Ester-Rose; Ester was named after the founder of the Rose Garden. Ester Rose Garland was the founder and original owner of the house. Ester’s grandmother, Elizabeth-Rose, was there to meet her only granddaughter. She was so pleased to see Ester!

“My Sweet, Ester-Rose!! How big you have grown!! If only your father could see you now….”

Grandma Elizbeth was cuddling her like if she let go for just a second, she would disappear.

She had only met her once or twice in her whole life.

              Grandpa Henry was coming home from work and would be there in half an hour. Her aunt, Marinette, showed her to her room. It was her mother’s old room. It was a little room at the end of the haul, but it was perfect for Ester. She had a bed, a dresser, and a nightstand, which was more than she had at home. Her mother had to move them into a very small apartment since her father was still missing in action, but this place was perfect for a little five-year-old girl to stay in. Ester placed her suitcase on her bed and started to unpack. On top of her clothing was a note from her mother,


                             “My sweet, Ester-Rose.

I wish you the best time while you are away from me. Remember I will soon be there with you in just two weeks! The days will go by quickly. Remember to listen to your aunt and Grandparents.

                             I shall see you soon my sweet Ester Rose.

                                                           Love,

                                                               Mother.

Ester was so pleased to receive this note from her mother. She took out a picture frame of her mother, her father, and herself when she was 2. She placed the note from her mother right beside the picture and started to unpack.

              “Ester-Rose- Its time for dinner!” called Her grandmother.

She toddled down the stairs and washed her hands. She was sat next to her grandmother and aunt.

The dinner here was so much larger than the dinner she had gotten at home. She was pleased with the food, and thanked her grandmother, and helped clear the table as best as she could.

She was sent to be quite early, but she was very tired from traveling. Ester went upstairs and put on her nightgown, and knelt by the bed to say her prayers, as every little girl should;

Dear Heavily Father,

Please bless Grandmother and Grandfather. Would you please make sure that my mother isn’t lonely, while I am away? And Would you please bring back Father? Mother and I miss him terribly, and the mother cries at night, so would you please bring him back? Mother told me that he was Missing in Action, and that he may never come back.

              Amen.

Ester crawled into her little bed and fell sound asleep.

The next day, she woke to find a box with a note on it, form uncle Jimmy, it said;

              Ester,

These were some of your mother’s toys, I thought you would like to play with them while you stay here.

                                            Have fun,

                                                          Uncle Jimmy.

In the box, Ester found dolls, a jump road, and a key. The key was around a sting, So Ester quickly dressed, and put the key around her neck. She toddled down the stairs and found her grandmother in the kitchen.

“Good morning, sweetheart. Would you like some breakfast?”

“Yes, Please.”

Her grandmother made her eggs, bacon, and a glass of milk. They sat at the large table and ate together.

After she finished, Ester wanted to explore the house. In her room, she found a small door. She wondered if the key that was around her neck was the key to the door, and it was!

              She had never heard her mother talk about this door in her room, but she opened it and found an Enchanted Forest, just like the ones from her storybook. There were fairies, and elves all around. Ester was unsure of what she had found, but she liked it.

Ester spent hours in this room, and She loved every second.

The two weeks quickly passed and Ester's mother's arrival was tomorrow, her mother had written her and told her that she couldn't wait to see her. One day when Ester went into the forest in the small room, she heard someone humming, and she had heard that song before, but she didn't know from where.

Ester followed the tune and found a soldier. He was sitting on a stump and singing a song about roses.

The man turned around and recognized Ester.

"Ester-Rose?? Is that you?"

Ester stepped back, she didn't know who this person was.

"My Ester-Rose!!"

She recognized him now, it was her father! Lieutenant James Willows.

He quickly ran to Ester, and picked her up!

"I was so scared, I feared I would never see you again!!" said James.

"Oh, Daddy!! I missed you soo much!"

"Ester, Darling, How did you get here?"

"I followed the door, daddy, Oh how mummy will be so pleased to see you, she's coming today, We must hurry! Daddy, how did you get here?"

James picked his daughter up and told her how he got to the enchanted forest. He opened a door and was just there, and couldn't find his way home.

Ester led her father to the door and opened it. They were both in her room. When they had come back, she could hear that her mother had just come. She rushed her father down the stairs and found her mother. Her mother cried, and so did her father. He had been missing for two years. Ester's parents were reunited!

Her grandmother said quietly with a tear in her eye, "This is how you find Happyness in 1945."



February 21, 2020 21:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.