2 comments

Contemporary

Take a slow deep breath, in and out, I repeat to myself. I straighten my pose, and try to focus on my breathing. Meditating shouldn’t be this hard, but today is not my day. My focus keeps shifting to all the problems I had run into earlier in the day. First thing this morning, I had a flat tire on my way into work, then hit every red light on the way there. I had thought the worst was behind me, but that's like counting your chickens before they hatch. I work as an accountant, so it should have been a normal, boring day. Plus it was Friday. But, again, I’m not that lucky. My boss had to call in for a family emergency, and left me in charge. This would be a great way for me to show how valuable I am to the company, I thought. My co workers took this as a sign to have an easy day, and essentially have an office party. I was torn between joining them and being the bad guy in this equation. I obviously played the villain, and made sure everyone did the workload that was required of them. I tried to lighten the mood, and told everyone we could go for drinks after work. I’m thinking they actually did all go out for drinks, but I wasn’t told about where it would be. 

I took another deep breath and shook out my arms, trying to release the tension. If work wasn’t bad enough, I came home to find my mailbox dented. Someone had apparently ran into it, and didn’t think to even leave a note. So after all this, I decided some meditation time was definitely needed. I changed into my yoga outfit and spread my mat out, in the corner, where I could feel the setting sun on my face. I’m focusing on my breathing when I hear the doorbell ring. What now, I groan. 

I open the door, to my smiling neighbor, Jacob. He isn’t bad looking, with his wavy brown hair and dark blue eyes. He immediately takes in what I am wearing. I forgot I was in a crop top and tight leggings. I try not to fidget and ask him what he wants. At first he seems nervous, but then he continues on and asks me out to dinner for Saturday. I slide a piece of my red hair back behind my ear, out of a nervous habit. He’s a really nice guy, but I’m not sure if it is wise to date a neighbor. I decided that for once, I should throw logic out the window, and see what happens. I agreed and he seemed to be shocked by my agreement. I kind of chuckle to myself as I close the door. 

I go back over to the mat, and get into position, thinking maybe now I could relax. I finally feel the stress starting to leave my body, and focus on my breathing. After a while, I stretch and start to put away my mat. Meditation for me, is the best stress reliever over anything else. I head for a shower and bed, knowing tomorrow would have to be a better day. 

I go about my Saturday, like normal. I caught up on some laundry, did yard work, and even washed my car. Before I knew it, I had to get ready for my date with Jacob. I looked over myself in the mirror, my red hair was long and wavy down my back. The navy blue dress I had chosen made my blue eyes really stand out. Alright, Samantha, no need to be nervous, I tell myself. He picks me up promptly and we go to a nice Mexican restaurant across town. At first the date was going great, then it wasn’t. I found myself checking my watch discreetly, as the evening went on. Jacob seemed to really like the sound of his own voice. He went on and on about all of his big excursions, he had gone on, while he lived in Europe. I tried to change the subject a few times, but he always went right back to talking about himself. 

After a while I faked a phone call, and explained I had an emergency and needed to go. I assured him I was fine and could take a taxi. I honestly couldn’t wait to be away from his big ego. As I was walking out, a driver, going a little fast, splashed water all over me from the waist down. Here I was thinking yesterday was bad. I cursed under my breath and quickly hailed a cab. The man tried to make a light joke about my wet clothing, but I really wasn’t in the mood. I paid,thanked him for the ride, and waved him goodbye. I walked past my dented mailbox and sighed. Maybe it’s another meditation kind of night. 

I get my things together, and a glass of wine, of course. I take everything outside to the back yard, and set up right under the light of the moon. As I start my breathing exercises, I find myself thinking of the day before and of that horrible date. Surely, things will smooth out, I tell myself. I stop for a moment to take a long slow drink of my red wine. I swish it around a moment before swallowing it, relishing in the sharp crisp taste. I cross my legs and stretch my neck and limbs. I think of calming thoughts, as I feel my limbs relax, and my thoughts calm. My inner peace is starting to show its beautiful face. Even after all the hectic, craziness from the last two days, I feel calm. Life will always throw you curve balls, trying to test your limits and patience. The last two days have definitely been trying for me. I know with some meditation and yes, sometimes wine, it will be Ok. Sometimes you just need to breathe and let fate run its course. 

The End. 

May 20, 2022 22:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Zak Burchell
08:26 May 26, 2022

I enjoyed the narrative voice of this story, I feel like I got to understand Samantha and her life well from just this small slice of her life. I noticed there were a lot of inconsistencies with tense, and these were quite jarring to me. I enjoyed the imagery used, "My inner peace is starting to show its beautiful face" was nice, I'd really like to see more of this kind of description throughout the story.

Reply

Crystal Glisson
13:06 May 26, 2022

Thank you. I am still working on some of my structure and tense, being a newbie and all. Your feed back is very helpful.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.