Night robbery

Submitted into Contest #45 in response to: Write a story about community.... view prompt

0 comments

General

It was on a windy night, the night that frightenes everyone in the community. The Robbery night. 

 

Hello, am Kimberly and I'm new in the neighborhood.

wondering why I wrote that above? 

your question is about to be answered.

The Robbery night was a night for robbers to come and raid the community. 

“It all started in 1956 in East Midlands England when the robbers of the community and the government had a truce that on the declared night, the robbers will have the night to themselves and from that day henceforth it became a law.”

That night I was awake on my reading table glazing through a magazine and suddenly I heard a BANG. I turned off my light and peeped through my window.

My first thought was on those my neighbors that always fight but this time it wasn't them it was someone else in their house.

I got scared and quickly ran to my mom's room to tell her about the sound but she was deep asleep. I ran to our basement to look for a rod Incase the person enters our own house.

On my way down the stairs, I fell through one of the stairs and landed in another basement filled with newspapers on the walls and what caught my eye was the Robbery night. Then I read


Exact words:


“From this day May 16th 1956, the robbers of the East Midlands city will have the night to themselves”


I tried to see the pictures of the robbers and government but it was too old and faded.

I quickly went through the newspapers to look for more info when another close sound that woke my mother up happened. I didn't know where she was, I was so scared after some minutes I decided to go back up and check it out but it was too late. My house was robbed.

I was so scared. What brought my tension up was when I saw blood and I traced it. Before my eyes was my mother's corpse lying helplessly on the floor.

I was shocked and fell on the floor. 

Her last words to me were

“Your father is still alive , he......” and she gave up the ghost. 

I wept and wept through out the night with that word on my mind. I asked myself these questions 

why did I go down there?

why was I scared? 

The next morning I woke up on my mother's body. I quickly showered up and called the police. They came with an ambulance and took my mom away from me.

That was the last time i saw her.

The police apologized for my loss and immediately I replied in anger telling them that they better tell the government to remove that law or else I will and they left without a response.

When I was cleaning the house.

I saw a half pendant on the floor that looked just like my mother's, I picked it and opened it and a man's face was there I ran to my mom's room and took her pendant and joined the two, to my surprise 

It was...

It was......

My dad.

That means....

tears ran down my eyes...

And I told myself 

I would fight for justice and also find my Dad and teach him a lesson for killing someone I loved and cherished.


“Now am running for the mayor of the community and still looking for my Dad

I've gone through a lot since my mother died after that incident.

Many robberies happened every year till I got married to one who was able to protect me and our house from being robbed.

“My Husband” Matthew Daniels the son of the commissioner who I met at college.

You all are wondering how I got into college. Well, after my mother's death I was taken in by an old lady I call my grandmother who took care of me and guided me to take the scholarship exams to enter the college. I refused but she told me “ I see you're an intelligent girl but the problem is FEAR”

she was not wrong after all so I decided to give it a try and wrote the scholarship exams and passed successfully.

On the First day of school, I kissed grandma goodbye thinking I will never see her again and took the bold step to the college and explored the place.

when I was on my way to my room some saucy girls took a look at me and told me, if I am in this college I would have to abide by their rules. I wanted to say something but one of them threw a paper in my mouth. “That does it I said”. I threw my stuff on the floor and quickly jumped on the fool. As I was about raising my hands to give her a slap, a soft gentle hand held me and pulled me up. The girls ran away screaming. I was so angry and turned to the fellow who held me to scream but I was caught up in his deep beautiful blue eyes which were too tempting to resist. I stopped gazing and asked in rage WHY DID YOU DO THAT? I WOULD HAVE TAUGHT THOSE GIRLS A LESSON. He replied saying you're cute when your angry,can I show you to your room?

with joy and anger at the same time I said yes please and he took all my belongings.

I'm Matthew, Matthew Daniels.

that name sounded familiar but I quickly replied Kimberly I'm Kimberly Anthony. I asked him, are you in anyway related to the commissioner? he said yes I am his son. that's when I fell for him because I had always hasmd a crush on him. I stopped for a while thinking, he turned back k at me and said friends bringing his hand out and I shaked him saying friends indeed. when I got to my room he said wow girls room 208 and I said yeah what's wrong he said I'm opposite you, boys room 208. nice I said and I entered inside thanking him for the help. I've never been in love like that before, I said and quickly unpacked and arranged my stuff. the next day I went to class, learned and was coming back to my room. as I was approaching my room, Matthew was standing at my door waiting for me, hi I said it's nice seeing you today and he said nice seeing you too could we have lunch together? and I said its my pleasure. Mathhew was in his 3rd year in the college and 4 years older than me.On our way there some of the girls in the college when looking at me with strange eyes and gossiping about me. I asked Matthew, why are these girls looking at me like that? and he said they're probably jealous because I'm walking with you.

Wow I said. Really? so you're like the cool guy here?

maybe,and I think you're the coolest girl he said with a glitching smile on his face. I knew he was shy when saying that. We finally got to the cafeteria and ordered lunch.

while we were eating, those saucy girls I met at the passage to my room came into the cafeteria looking for something or someone. What are they looking for i said and one of the girls pointed at me and they came towards our table.

What is it? I said standing in anger.

No, no we didn't come for trouble, we came to apologize.

Apologize? You girls apologize?

Yes they said.

They described how they felt bad after being beaten by me and promised not to do that again.

They wanted to be my friends. I couldn't say no I had to accept their offer and I let them have lunch with me and Matthew.

Many things happened in college until the end of the first semester, Matthew pleaded to drop me home. Well I agreed and we were already on our way.

I called my grandmother and told her not to bother that I'm coming home with a friend.

You stay with your grandmother? Matthew asked.

Actually she's not my grandmother I just call her that.

Matthews face wasn't comfortable at all and I knew the big question was coming.

If I may ask, What of your parents? Matthew asked.

He had a little relief after asking.

Oh, Umm..

My parents.

well I don't know my father and am still searching for him and my mother was assassinated.

Really he said in surprise.

Yeah, really

and I started narrating how it all happened and how I ended up with Grandma.

After all the narration, tears dropped from his eyes but he quickly wiped it off.

whoa, am really I mean deeply and really sorry.

it's okay I said, it's all for a reason.

Finally we reached grandma's house and I couldn't wait to meet her.

when I came down from the car, I saw grandma and quickly ran to hug her.

I missed you she said and I replied I missed you too.

Matthew brought my luggage down from the car and greeted grandma.

What a handsome fellow you got there. say is he your boyfriend? Grandma asked, I quickly told her to stop but Matthew found it funny a little bit.

grandma asked for Matthew to stay for dinner but he said he was running late he needed to get home as soon as possible.

I told him good bye and he drove off.

All the days of the holiday felt the same, Bored and sad.

I was missing something but I didn't know what.

.......................


After weeks of the holiday,we we're finally getting back to school. I was the happiest girl that day, I couldn't wait to get there and meet all my friends.

when grandma dropped me off at college, I hugged her and waved her goodbye.

when she was out of my sight, I tried coupling my things then I turned to the right and saw Matthew with Two adults and a really beautiful girl he crossed his hands upon. when he saw me, he walked and hugged me.

I was surprised and he said come I have a surprise for you.

He took me to where he was to meet the people he was with.

Umm...

Mum, Dad

meet my friend Kimberly.

It was his parents I said in my mind.

Good day Sir. commissioner

and Lady Daniels. nice meeting you I said with my eyes on the girl.

suddenly, she coughed in a way to get attention.

Oh, sorry Matthew said, this pretty damsel here is my younger sister Anne.

ohh hi nice to meet you.

Yeah, nice to meet you too.

Then we exchanged words, laughed and they left.

Alot of things happened in college, Matthew became my boyfriend.

It was not long until Matthew graduated from college....

it pained me so much because I would be alone but he told me not to worry that he'll be visiting me regularly.

I kept on with it until I graduated and started living with Matthew.

....................



On a Saturday evening, I got a call from an unknown number telling me that my Grandma is in the hospital.

I quickly ran down to the hospital with Matthew when I received the address of the Hospital.

When I saw my grandmother I remembered that yesterday was may 16th and it was the Robbery night....

I screamed and cried that whole day.....

when I woke up at the hospital the next day, I saw Matthew in deep taughts. I asked what the problem was and just immediately the doctor came and gave me a certificate of death...

Grandma's dead?

No no.

this isn't possible

Noooooooooooo ......


Matthew calmed me down and said, it is well.

«« We finally buried Grandma and everything went on like a normal life without parents or grandparents.

Some months later, Matthew said we were going out for some site seeing in the most beautiful places in East Midlands.

I quickly put on my best dress and we drove off....


Matthew actually took me to a dark road and said he maybe forgot the place then immediately some young men dressed in suits came in luxurious cars and parked round us..

some minutes later some ladies in red gown came out and I was scared and asked Matthew if we could go jome, and that was when he turned to me bent on one knee brought out a diamond ring and asked if I would marry him. Immediately the men turned on their cars and their head lights were so colourful and the girls sprayed flowers round us.

I wasn't hesitating to say yes because I've been waiting for this day to come since we entered a relationship.


YES, MATTHEW YES!!!


And I hugged him and we celebrated...


Wedding day was successful


I tell you, I was like a queen on that day. I received many gifts from high people in authority.

The queen of England also came for the Wedding and it was terrific. 

Actually I had no one to represent me so that day wasn't the happiest day of my life...



I still mourn my Late mother and grandmother and I'm still searching for my father


THE END



June 05, 2020 19:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.