4 comments

Fiction Romance Science Fiction

Seraphina Celestis. Dark skin, dark eyes, dark hair with a hint of red–she was beautiful. Orion Blackthorn watched her gesticulating excitedly to her expo booth visitors, words pouring over each other as she described her research into the Luminary Artifact. 

He felt awkward in a blue jumpsuit covered in luminescent stars, but he fit right in on the colorful planet Astraloria. It was the kind of place that could be called lush, with as many tall tropical trees as buildings. He was in the capital city, Celestis, and he was staring at a descendant of its namesake: Seraphina.

When the crowd around her thinned, he approached the booth, focusing his attention on the holographic display of the artifact. Orion wasn’t sure what to make of the bright cube pulsing with ethereal confidence. He was used to assessing things for their value to other people, but this one seemed to glow with a knowing insight: he wasn’t here for science, he was here to steal.

“Isn’t it beautiful?” A voice beside him gushed.

“It’s captivating,” he said, turning to see Seraphina, nearly jumping out of her gorgeous yet completely functional blue dress. “Captivating,” he repeated, now describing her instead of the object.

“It has the potential to change the path of research into quantum mechanics and temporal physics,” she exclaimed.

“Sounds like you have the perfect background,” he said, smiling.

“My parents were pioneers in their chosen research paths, so I suppose being able to utilize both of their fields is an advantage,” she said, nodding vigorously. He already knew his access to the artifact lay in taking advantage of this scientist, and the conscience that he usually kept hidden away made its presence known with a tightness in his stomach.

He recalled her profile for the dozenth time. Her parents were renowned astrophysicists who lived on the outskirts of the city. A prodigy from an early age, she had already cemented her place in history with her research on celestial mechanics. She was the natural choice to study the artifact when it was discovered several years ago. 

He thought about his own parents: his mom, the stern but loveable teacher, and his dad, the gruff city worker, both doing their best to raise a child on a dark, crime-ridden planet. He'd joined the Shadow Sable Consortium as a teenager, doing their dirty deeds until he'd escaped to make his own way. Now he was tired of running, and he hoped to get back in their good graces by selling access to research about the artifact.

He focused back on Seraphina. “Your parents were blessed to create such an intelligent and beautiful offspring.” He smiled as the compliment hit its target. “Orion Swiftwind,” he said, extending his hand. “Usually I'm up in orbit, but I heard great things about your research.”

“Seraphina Celestis,” she said, shaking his hand with sudden shyness. “What do you study?”

“I'm just a pilot,” he said, leaning on his made up persona. “All I know is how to make the engine go zoom.”

She giggled, and he said, “I'm sure you get this a lot, but I'll be kicking myself if I don't ask: Would you like to get dinner?”

Her face showed a tangle of emotions, and she looked away. Orion paused; maybe his assumption had been wrong and she did get a lot of attention planetside. She said with distaste, “People only ask me to dinner to network.”

He laughed. “Well I suppose we could call it that.” He moved strategically close. “I meant as a date.”

She looked up at him, her eyes wide with surprise. “Where do people go on dates?”

Orion chose a slightly fancy restaurant–not his typical fare but expensive enough for Seraphina's cultured upbringing. She explained her research with animated gestures, going off into random side tangents and describing ideas in way too much detail, but he didn’t want to stop her obvious enjoyment. She was a scientist, and, like a child proudly displaying her art, she wanted to share her knowledge. 

When it was his turn, she listened rapturously as he described his adventures across the galaxy, disguising his smuggling as “research.” As they returned to her home, he thought about his plan. He sensed her innate trust in him, and he felt a yearning he’d rarely felt, something more than sexual. He thought he saw a kindred soul, comfortable in her environment but profoundly lonely. He wanted to spend more time with her.

As he contemplated ways to convince her to see him again, she asked,

“Do you want to come in? I have snacks.”

He laughed. ”You must not have many visitors,” he said.

“No,” she said, her voice dipping with sadness. “Just other scientists. I have a whole lab in my basement.” They stopped outside the door of her house.

“Basements are where the fun happens,” he said. 

“Are they?” she asked unironically. “Come on in. Hello Athena,” she called, and the door unlocked.

“Hello Seraphina,” a female voice said. 

“Who’s that?” he asked, on guard in case she had a roommate or worse: a mother.

“Oh, that’s Athena. She’s my AI.” Seraphina bounced into the house.

“Nice to meet you,” the voice said. “Are you a dashing rogue here to take my Seraphina on an extraordinary adventure?”

“I wouldn’t say all that,” he said, silently pleased to be described as dashing. “I’ve had enough adventure in my lifetime.”

“He’s here for the expo,” Seraphina said. “His name is Orion Swiftwind.”

He braced himself in case the AI discovered his thinly veiled identity. He exhaled with relief when the computer merely said, “Pleased to meet you, Captain Swiftwind.”

“Fruit?” she asked, walking toward her kitchen. Orion nodded as he got his bearings. It was a tasteful and warm home, with plaques dotting the wall and potted plants covering the floor. Reading one of the plaques, he said, “Your parents must be so proud of you.”

“They are,” she said. “But I wouldn't be where I am without them. They've given me so many opportunities.” She offered the bowl of colorful fruit to him. “What about yours?”

“I haven’t lived up to their expectations,” he answered truthfully. “But I owe a lot to them.” Stuck under the Consortium’s rule, his parents would be paying for his sins until he died or came back. The thought of finishing this job and finally returning home filled him with energy as he said, “Enough about me. Tell me more about your work.”

He left her house that night with the beginnings of a connection and a pang in his heart, whether with satisfaction or guilt he wasn’t sure. Early the next morning he sent a message to an old contact. I may have something Marcellus will be interested in. 

The reply came back quickly. Looking for redemption?

He sighed again. I have conditions, and he imagined Adrian smiling at the word. 

Adrian Voss had been like an older brother, introducing him to the Consortium and training him in the ways of a thief. He remembered the days they spent in the alleys together, baring their souls and sharing the dream of wealth and power. 

It all changed with Nebula’s Embrace. Orion had been sent with a small crew for a simple heist. They’d stolen the Embrace, but things went wrong on the way back home. All alone, Orion had hidden the device on an asteroid, resolving to leave the Consortium and live a law-abiding life. 

Orion had told Adrian he planned to leave, and the older man saw his opportunity to cement his place in the Consortium’s hierarchy. He exposed Orion just as he was escaping on a cargo ship. Forever labeled a traitor, Orion took to the stars, finding work where he could in the shadows of the galactic underworld. 

He spent the next few weeks enjoying his time with Seraphina. He had been right: the only people who interacted with her were scientists interested in her work or the public who revered her. It made it easy to integrate himself into her life, but it brought more than occasional bouts of guilt.

“Caelum said I shouldn't be so trusting,” she said one day while they were out walking.

Caelum is right, he said to himself, but out loud he said, “Isn't that the one who wanted to do the research on the artifact?” She nodded. “I think she's just jealous.”

“I'm so excited to go on the Celestial Voyager and visit the artifact,” she said, eyes sparkling. ”It'll be amazing to see it up close.” She turned and grabbed his arm. “Can you take me on your ship one day? Maybe go see your parents?”

He avoided her eyes. “I'd have to see what contracts are coming up.” In his mind, though, he wanted to say Yes! with as much excitement as she carried in her lithe body. But this fantasy only went so far–he was a hardened criminal, after all. A future with Seraphina was impossible.

Finally and with considerable enthusiasm, she showed him her basement lab. Orion was impressed–he had seen spaceships with less technology–and he asked questions with genuine interest as well as to get the information he needed. The Consortium’s hacker created an insertable key that would bypass the lab’s security systems and continuously upload Seraphina’s research into the cloud. 

Orion picked up the key but held on to it for days, unwilling to end his time with Seraphina. Getting a second lab tour was easy, as was plugging the key into a spare port. The only obstacle was Athena.

“Seraphina, I've detected unauthorized access at your terminal.” The AI sounded gentle but firm in her communication, likely to keep Seraphina from panicking.

“What?” Seraphina asked. “What's going on?”

“Captain Swiftwind is accessing your data.” She turned her dark eyes on him.

“What are you doing?”

He shrugged, slightly frustrated at her innocence. “I'm stealing your research.”

“But why?” He closed his eyes to avoid the bewildered stare.

“I’m a thief,” he said, “That’s what I came to do. I’m selling the data to the Shadow Sable Consortium. I’ve been an outlaw for years, and I’m buying my way back in.”

“Back in?” He nodded. “With criminals?” She lowered her head. “I’m so stupid,” she said quietly. 

“It's not personal…” he started to say. “It's for my parents,” he said more firmly. “Right now they're prisoners on their own planet. After this deal I can finally see them again.”

“Your parents?” she asked. He nodded.

“I wasn't able to stop the root process on the system,” Athena said. “Please remove the key and destroy it immediately.” Seraphina moved toward the terminal, and Orion wondered if he should try to stop her. 

Slowly she pulled the key out of the terminal, looking at it like an artifact of its own. Key in hand, she walked toward him. With inches between them, she opened her hand. “It's for your parents,” she said quietly, brown eyes staring at him with sympathy. “Take it.”

Orion took the key, but he felt stuck in place, frozen with guilt. He closed his eyes and made a decision. He walked to the terminal and opened a secure connection. Adrian was standing by, waiting to hear news. 

“I changed my mind,” he said, watching both of them for a reaction. Seraphina's was more obvious as she brought her hands to her mouth. He held up the key in his hand. “You can't access the data without this key, and I'm going to destroy it.”

Adrian glanced around the room and spotted Seraphina. “Going for the romantic gesture, I see?” His voice held no trace of the empathy and affection that used to exist between them. “You know I'm not going to leave empty handed.”

Orion said firmly, “Then I’ll offer something of equal value. Nebula’s Embrace.”

“What about it? We all know about your incompetence.”

“It wasn’t incompetence, Adrian.” He tried to keep his voice from trembling. “The Embrace didn’t go missing that day. I hid it, and I’ll tell you where to find it if you settle my debt now. Leave me, my parents,” he looked over, “and Seraphina alone.”

Adrian's expression shifted from disdain to a flicker of surprise. “Send me the location, and then I'll decide what to do with you.” Hands shaking, Orion pulled up a map of the Eclipsar Cluster. A few more key strokes and the deed was done. 

Adrian mused silently over the information before saying, “So you weren't as naive as you seemed, little brother. This will do.” He closed the connection, leaving a tense silence. 

Seraphina Celestis looked at the floor, shoulders slumped. “What happens now?” she asked.

“Now I can stop running. And I can finally see my parents again.”

“And what about me?” She looked up at him with a mixture of grief and disappointment, and Orion instinctively stepped closer.

"I never meant to hurt you, Seraphina. I was lost, seeking a way back into the Consortium. But in the process I found something.”

“What?” she asked.

“You,” he said. He closed the distance and took her hands. “Come on my ship with me. I can take you to the Luminary Artifact.”

“You can?” she asked excitedly.

“Yes, and I'll protect you and your research.”

“Protect? Will they come back?” she asked.

“Yes, but we’ll be ready.” He pulled her into his arms. “You have me now.”

“How can I trust you again?” she asked, doubt lingering in her eyes.

“I know I can’t ever make up for betraying you,” he said, “but I will tell you everything. I’ll do whatever it takes to rebuild your trust. Seraphina, I love you.” 

He waited in suspense as she considered, head leaning against his chest. After a moment, she nodded, and from there they joined together in a celestial bond that would withstand the test of time.

February 02, 2024 12:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

01:15 Feb 09, 2024

Oh wow. Loved this! Sorry I am critiquing a bit late. Have been too busy to check emails. A few points. "nearly jumping out of her gorgeous yet completely functional blue dress". The visual impact of this is disturbing. Can this happen? Or was it that he could imagine her without a dress. I think that is a guy thing isn't it? His comment suggests this. "now describing her instead of the object." I'd leave this out. It is obvious to me especially if you write that he visualized her out of her dress. "facing her' would be sufficient. Its call...

Reply

Crystal Farmer
14:11 Feb 09, 2024

Thanks for the detailed feedback! It's very helpful. Showing vs telling is my biggest learning area.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zavier M. Ames
00:44 Feb 08, 2024

Hello Crystal, Your story was chosen for me to provide feedback for the Critique Circle. The story was great. The world-building, transitions, character development all were well done, with great buildup and climax, but I'd like to have seen a bit more tension, a bit more fire between Seraphina and the thief, bring a bit more to the story when describing their interests in each other. What if when Orion spoke his mind talking to Seraphina as a sort of honest thief when mentioning she trusts too easily? He could ask "Then why do you trust ...

Reply

Crystal Farmer
00:52 Feb 08, 2024

That's a great suggestion! Thank you for reading and critiquing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.