2 comments

Drama Fantasy LGBTQ+

“Maid,” Queen Victoria called from her side of the court, “We need a tiebreaker.”

Aurelia glanced up from her tray of pastries, her green eyes glowing in the moonlight from the window as she subtly rubbed her hands on her white apron.

The Queen and King sat on a raised platform, the royal advisors fanned around them in a semi-circle, split evenly in half.

Aurelia scanned the room before her gaze landed on the Queen’s large brown eyes.

Her long blond hair framed her beautiful face, and her dark brown eyes brought Aurelia back to simpler times.

--------

“Come in!”

Aurelia opened the door, “Do you require anything, my lady?”

The Queen smiled sweetly at the taller woman, patting the seat next to her softly.

Aurelia blinked in confusion, but did as she asked, sitting down softly next to the Queen.

“What do you require, my lady?” She questioned, gaze trained firmly down on the Queen, her green eyes staring down into the Queen’s beautiful brown ones.

Queen Victoria smiled, eyes crinkling at the corners as she laughed softly.

“There is nothing I require, Aurelia, just a simple question for you.”

Aurelia’s face contorted in confusion.

“What is your question, my lady?” She inquired, mind racing with the possibilities.

“Are you taken, my dear?”

Her eyes widen. Well, that wasn’t a question I thought I’d hear, her mind whispered.

“Not at the moment, my lady,” She said hesitantly, before quietly adding, “Why do you wonder?”

The Queen didn’t answer right away, instead looking towards her window, the curtains flowing softly as the wind swirled in from a chipped pane. It was late outside, the stars twinkling in the sky as the moon smiled down on them from above. It was beautiful.

“Aurelia,” the Queen began, “It may seem odd, for a woman of such a status to be unhappy with who she is, but it is quite often the case.”

Aurelia looked at the younger woman, who was still staring out the window. Behind them, a piece of paper fluttered lightly to the floor. If it wasn’t for the sudden silence, it would have been left unheard.

“I, personally, am not happy with where I am in life,” She dragged her eyes from the window to stare up at Aurelia, big brown eyes staring softly into her own green ones.

“Truthfully, I do not love my husband. I do not think I could if I tried,” The Queen admitted, and though it was a large confession, she said it softly, tired.

“I love another person,” the Queen whispered, leaning in closer, “A woman who, though she is levels below my importance, has always been good. Kind. Loyal. The type of person my husband only wishes to be.”

The Queen leaned in impossibly closer, tilting her head slightly up.

“Can you guess,” she whispered, “Who this person is, Aurelia?”

---------

Aurelia glances around nervously, feeling all eyes on her. She gulps, shifting in her spot as she thinks over the choice ahead of her.

Queen Victoria, bless her heart, refused to allow the kingdom to weigh in on the war rushing throughout the kingdoms. King Oliver was adamant that they went to war along with their allies.

Aurelia takes a step towards the King. Staying out of the war would just cause more devastation, but one look at Queen Victoria’s pleading gaze and her mind is lost.

She comes to a stop once more, her head turns towards the Queen and the King.

I am not qualified to even decide this, her mind whispered, Couldn’t they find anyone else?

But no, Queen Victoria had called upon her.

--------

Aurelia hummed quietly, the sound echoing softly through the Queen’s bedroom. The two had been together for around 4 months, and it might be the best thing that had ever happened to her.

She looked down to the girl in her arms. She might be the most beautiful thing I’ve ever laid eyes on, her mind whispered, and she soundlessly agreed.

Queen Victoria was known throughout the lands as one of the most beautiful and kind queens. Rumors spread, as they did for the other royals, but hers were always kinder.

Little did they know, she was having an affair. With a maid.

Oh, how the courts would talk.

Talk about their love.

Their laughter, their smiles.

How they would sneak away at night, hand in hand, twirling in the moonlight.

Their handmade gifts, so small and insignificant to the common eye. A piece of the world to them.

Each trinket, each necklace and charm, meant the world. That’s what their love was about. Aurelia couldn’t do much, and Queen Victoria couldn’t get away with much. So, they improvised.

The Queen would be very tired, some nights, and head off to bed early. Aurelia would take the night cleaning as often as possible.

The world was blind to it, blind to them.

Blind to their love.

--------

Did Aurelia really want to do this? The king was right, right?

But Victoria…

She looks in her Queens direction once more, her beautiful brown eyes pull Aurelia in once more and she is lost. Caught in a swirl of conflicting emotions, Aurelia hesitated, her inner battle momentarily paralyzing her.

“Maid, your vote please,” King Oliver’s commanding voice broke through the turmoil, drawing her back to the reality of the court’s decision-making.

With a deep breath, Aurelia composes herself, torn between duty and desire. Her lips parted, ready to say her answer, but her heart told her something else, a truth that she felt through her entire being.

“Yes, Your Majesty, I choose…”

--------

Aurelia spun Victoria around, the woman laughing brightly. The stars danced with them, shining brightly down at them as she twirled Victoria around once more, pink nightgown flowing in the wind.

The garden was quiet around them. Where there was normally chirping birds, there was quiet silence, only broken by the laughter of the two.

The vibrant flowers took on a softer, darker hue, bright pink dulled quieter, dark purples blending into the night, colors twisting into the sky as the moon shines down on them.

Aurelia pulls Victoria closer once more as their dance ends, looking down into her big, enchanting brown eyes.

They stare at each other for a moment, lost in each other’s eyes.

Aurelia leans closer in, eyes fluttering softly as she plants a soft kiss to the top of the shorter girl’s head. She pulls back to look into her eyes once more.

With a smile, she whispers “I love you, Victoria, my light.”

Victoria laughs softly and smiles up at her. “I love you too, Aurelia, my world.”

Aurelia grins, still staring into her eyes. Her eyes. The most mesmerizing eyes a woman could ever have.

Oh, how she loves her eyes. Her eyes…

---------

Her beautiful brown eyes…

“I vote on the side of the Queen.”

Queen Victoria’s smile nearly brought Aurelia to tears. It was a smile of pure relief, happiness, and love.

I love you, Victoria, my light. Aurelia mouthed. No one heard, for it was a simple moment between the two, but she smiled and mouthed it back.

I love you too, Aurelia, my world. 

March 16, 2024 02:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Katie Schnelle
00:14 Mar 21, 2024

I really enjoyed your story. I think it effectively drives home that even if we love someone on equal terms, the imbalance of the outside world still plays a pivotal role in our lives. This was a wonderful snapshot of a secret relationship.

Reply

Amber Ystrevi
17:21 Apr 03, 2024

Thank you for your comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.