5 comments

Friendship Romance LGBTQ+

Hanagae Beach, Muuido. July 23, 1990.

     The school trip to Incheon province was troubled from the begging. In the bus while Seung-Hee was apprehensive and excited, his classmate sitting next to him continued with the same regretful speech.

     "Seung-hee, your know how scared I am of beaches" the boy with curly hair said in a regretful tone. The brownish hair matched perfectly with his gracious appearance, having a upturned nose, palid cheekbones and round eyes just like two marbles. Some strands of the brownish fringe looked rebellious and headed in opposite ways, no matter how much the boy combed them. Speaking the truth, Seung-Hee thought this was one more thing about his cutesy look. "You made a great job convincing me and I was even anxious to this trip, but now when we’re getting close to the sea I’m feeling goosebumps. It feels like I am going to puke."

     "Does the sea makes you nauseous, Jin-Sang? Or is the fear causing it? I thought you had more courage ‘bout this, you know" The black haired boy replied. He was different from the other... especially his very sharp eyes, just like a cat’s. His eyebrows were lowered with a frowning expression. "I know you can do it. You don’t need to be afraid since I’m here by your side, right? If anything weird happens, your can just call my name or even pinch my arm."

     "Ok, I see it. It’s gonna be fun, right? And what if I don’t want to swim? Will you be my side?"

     "Yep. I will. Then we can make sandcastles or anything like that. And no need to be a pussy, ‘kay?"

     "Yeah..." Jin-Sang answered while looking through the bus windows. It was possible now to smell the salt and feel the sea breeze so next to him. He liked that feeling. 

     And soon enough they were arriving. The teacher said that everyone should take lots of care and came together before lunch, they would have barbecue. It was late afternoon on a summer not as hot as it should be... Maybe for that particular reason the beach was practically deserted, except for the alumni. Time stopped for an instant while waves, which before seemed so strong and unwavering, were transformed into sea foam combined with the sand. The sky went from orange to light turquoise and blue. Cloud shapes of several framed the celestial vault.

     Then, in that moment, Seung-Hee received a call. The words “Happy Hour Pizzaria” were written in a tiny font in the cell phone screen. Some days ago the boy applied for a part time job in that pizzaria. He would be serving tables and helping with other tasks. It was a small neighbourhood business, so there would be not to much work for him to do, which was impressive to the boy. Easy money, he thought. But there was a slightly problem: They were contracting only people already formed in high school. He was cursing high school in the moment.

     He decided to tell his friend Jin-Sang about it, and he told him:

     "I can’t believe you are applying to the pizzaria I’m working now! It would be great if we could work together and then go to job dinners together... Then go to karaokes after work. It would be so much fun" He replied with such an exciting voice and his eyes brighten up genuinely.

     "But Jin-Sang... You’re still in high school. Did you lie abot it?" He asked with a cautious tone. 

     "I had to. You know my parents don’t give me pocket money and I was so bored at home... There’s also this console I want to buy. We could even play games after school, right? "

     "That’s true" Seung-Hee announced shortly. He never thought his naive friend would lie about his precendent. Thus this was more like himself, not Jin-Sang, who always told him that lying is no good even when is for a benign reason. 

     But going back to the actual call. He clicked the green button “accept” and in a polite voice greeted the staff: 

     "Hello. I am glad you called me." 

    "Yes! It is about the part time job you applied, we reconsidered our options and decided to offer you a part in our crew. You can start in the next monday, is it all right?" The owner of Happy Hour Pizzaria spoke.

     "Yes, of course! Next monday is perfect to me. 06:00 p.m. is that right?"

     "Uhum, 06:00 p.m. And you told me something about one of our crew being seen using a high school uniform. Which kiddo made it? In the rules for the job I told there should be no one still in high school, I don’t want to bother their studies, you know... School this days is so difficult." The man in his late thirties asked and Jin-Sang’s heart skipped a beat while he gulped his saliva. He told about that because he did not wanted Seung-Hee busy because some pocket money and he wanted the job himself, knowing how egotistic the accion should be, it was probably needed. If there is minus one server, his chances to get the job would be risen. And he saw, by a glimpse, Jin-Sang expecting and concerned face, close to others of his friends group. 

     “Nah, I couldn’t do this to him. Betray him like that” he thought. He never made something that would make his friend sad, why would he do that know because some stupid pizzaria job? And he was already accepted anyways. 

     "I think I made a mistake, sir. I did not see any of your crew in a school uniform, sorry for bothering you" The boy answered with a tiny smile. 

     "Oh, I see. But it’s ok, I’m happy you haven’t seen anyone. Goodbye boy! See you at work next monday" and the man finished the call. 

     Just some seconds after it, Jin-Sang came showing a happy expression. "Did you get the job?" he asked.

     "Yes... it was easy.

     "I can’t believe we are going to be work pals now. I’m so happy for you!" the boy cheered, getting closer to Seung-Hee and then hugging him around his waist. Their height difference was now more noticeable, with Jin-Sang being about 15cm taller than his friend. 

   "Did you lose your fear of the sea? Can I pull you in the water now? I was expecting a chance to do that" He provoked him in a playful mood, taking his hand out of his waist. 

     "Nah... I am still afraid, dumbass. Let’s be in the sand, I will by some popsicles to us." 

     "Alright Chef" he replied, winkin’ the left eye and looking at his friend back getting more distant.

     And the atmosphere surrounding them became warmer. It was the beginning of a new and hotter season. The 90’s gave the feeling that everything could be done. They felt fresh. Seung-Hee thought by himself if the new season would also bring the answers to his profound love. 

     He was anxious to play videogame with Jin-Sang after school. His heart grew tighter with some strange hope.

November 06, 2020 18:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Rafaela Silveira
21:18 Nov 06, 2020

cat eyes 🥺🥺🥺🥺

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rafaela Silveira
21:18 Nov 06, 2020

THIS IS AMAZING. I LOVE THE ATMOSPHERE

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rafaela Silveira
21:17 Nov 06, 2020

"the feeling that everything could be done." I LOVE THIS FEELING !!!! THANK YOU

Reply

Djulieni Lopes
21:21 Nov 06, 2020

I THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rafaela Silveira
21:17 Nov 06, 2020

"His heart grew tighter with some strange hope." YEEEEEESSSS I LOVE THIS

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.