1 comment

Happy Contemporary Inspirational

Thank You Never Seems to be Enough

Maryann sat at her polished mahogany desk, her fingers tightly gripping the smooth barrel of a pen. Her wide blue eyes flicked back and forth between the blank piece of paper lying before her and the framed photo on her desk of her parents, Christopher and Margrette. She had been wanting to write this letter for weeks. But every time she tried, she found herself at a loss for words. How could she truly express her overflowing gratitude to them for all they had done for her? Their unwavering love, support, and sacrifices flooded her mind, making it impossible to find the right words to convey her feelings.

As Maryann sat at her desk, she couldn't help but stare at the photo of her and her parents at her graduation. The love and pride in their eyes were unmistakable, but so were the sadness and exhaustion etched into their features.

She remembered the long hours her parents would work to provide for their family, often coming home late and exhausted. She remembered their tired smiles as they tucked her into bed at night after a long day of work.

However, she couldn't ignore the memories of her past behaviors. Or the embarrassment she felt as she thought back to how she acted. She would often throw fits and demand expensive gifts or extravagant vacations. Her parents always went above and beyond to fulfill these desires, even if it meant sacrificing their own wants and needs. But no matter what they did, Maryann was never satisfied.

As she grew older, her selfishness and demands only increased. She craved the latest technology, designer clothing, and luxurious getaways. Her parents continued to indulge her, believing it was their duty to give their daughter everything she wanted. However, deep down, Maryann knew that nothing could fulfill her insatiable greed.

As Maryann sat alone, she was overwhelmed by an intense feeling of remorse and guilt. She couldn't shake off the memories of how she had treated her parents in the past, and the memories weighed heavily on her conscience. It struck her hard—they had always been there for her, providing for her both materially and emotionally. How could she ever repay them for all the years she had taken advantage of their sacrifices and neglected their needs?

They had put aside their own hopes and desires, sacrificing them for the sake of their beloved daughter. They had been her unwavering support system, always there to lift her up and celebrate every achievement she made. Whether it was a school play or a graduation ceremony, they were always the loudest in the crowd, beaming with pride and crying tears of joy. Through their guidance and example, they tried to instill in her a strong moral compass, teaching her the importance of kindness and compassion in this world. Their love and devotion knew no bounds, shaping her into the responsible and caring person she had become.

Maryann had always taken the love and support in her life for granted, never fully realizing the depth and sacrifice behind them. But as she sat alone with her thoughts, she was hit with a wave of guilt and regret. How could she have been so blind to the immense love that surrounded her? And now, it felt too late to truly show her appreciation.

Whatever it was, she would say, it had to be perfect. But as she sat there, pen hovering over the paper, she realized that perfection was not what her parents had been striving for. They had simply wanted her to be happy, to have a better life than they did. And at that moment, Maryann felt overwhelmed with love and gratitude for her parents.

With a heavy heart and tears in her eyes, Maryann finally picked up the pen and began to write the letter. She poured all of her emotions onto paper, every word filled with love and gratitude toward two people who had given so much without ever asking for anything in return.

She took a deep breath and began to write.


Dear Mom and Dad,

I hope this letter finds you both well. I have been meaning to write to you for some time now, but I have been struggling to find the right words to express everything that I want to say.

First and foremost, I want to thank you both for everything you have done for me. I know I have not always been the easiest daughter to raise, but you have never given up on me. You have always been there for me, supporting me, guiding me, and loving me unconditionally.

As I sit here, reflecting on my life, I am filled with gratitude for all the sacrifices you have made for me. I remember the long hours you both worked and the multiple jobs you took on just to provide. I never remembered a time when we had to go without, when things were tight, and money was scarce.

You never let me feel like we were struggling. You always made sure I had everything I needed and even some things I wanted. Looking back, I realize how much you must have sacrificed to make that happen, and I am forever grateful.

I remember the day I graduated from college and the look of pride on both of your faces. It was a moment I will never forget, and I know it was because of your unwavering support and encouragement that I was able to achieve that milestone. You always believed in me, even when I doubted myself.

I am also grateful for the values you instilled in me. Your hard work, determination, and resilience have been an inspiration to me throughout my life. You taught me the importance of honesty, integrity, and compassion, and I strive to live by those values every day.

But above all, I want to thank you for your love. Your love has been a constant in my life, a source of strength and comfort. Through all the ups and downs, your love has never wavered. You have been my rock, my guiding light, and I am blessed to have you both as my parents.

I know I have not always been the best daughter, and for that, I am sorry. I have taken you for granted at times, and I have pushed you to your limits. But you have never given up on me, and for that, I am eternally grateful.

I often wonder if I will ever be able to repay you for everything you have done for me. Thank you never seems to be enough, but I hope this letter serves as a small token of my appreciation and love for you both.

I am who I am today because of you, and for that, I will be forever grateful. I promise to continue to make you proud, to live up to the expectations you have set for me, and to always honor the sacrifices you have made for me.

Thank you, Mom and Dad, for everything. I love you both more than words could ever express.

With love and gratitude,

Maryann.



As she finished writing the letter with a trembling hand, Maryann knew that no matter how many times she said thank you, it would never be enough.

As she read over her letter, tears streaming down her face, Maryann felt a weight lift off her shoulders. She had finally found the words to express her gratitude, and she knew her parents would understand.

She folded the letter carefully, placed it in an envelope, and addressed it to her parents. As she dropped the envelope in the outgoing mail tray on the secretary’s desk, she felt a sense of peace and contentment wash over her. She knew that her parents would never truly know just how much they meant to her, but she hoped that this letter would give them a glimpse into her heart.

She silently thanked her parents for everything they had done for her and continued to do. She knew that no matter what challenges she faced in life, she would always have their unconditional love and support, and that was more than enough. She could have easily just taken the letter to her parents, but she didn’t want to sit there waiting for them to finish reading it. She tried to swallow down the fear that she was taking the coward’s way out by mailing it.


***


It’s been several days since Maryann sent out the letter. She was positive that her parents had received it. She hoped she conveyed everything—her gratitude for everything, her apology for how she acted, and her hope that they would forgive her.

Maryann was brought out of her thoughts by the buzzer on her desk.

“Ms. Edwards,” Maryann’s secretary’s voice could be heard on the speaker, “some people are here to see you. They say it’s urgent.”

Maryann pressed the call button and answered, “Send them in.”

Maryann got up to meet her guest at the door. When she pulled the door open, tears instantly filled her eyes. Her parents, Christopher and Margrette were standing on the other side of the door. Margrette was holding the letter Maryann sent them.

Margrette had a serene smile on her face—the same look Maryann would see every morning before she went to school, the mornings of her graduation from high school, college, and law school, and when she passed the Bar.

“Mama,” Maryann sobbed as she went to her mother. When she felt her mother’s arms wrap around her, the tears began to flow. She could hear her mother’s soothing words.

“I love you so much, Maryann,” Margrette soothed as she pushed Maryann out to arm’s-length.

Maryann saw her mother hold up the letter she mailed them. Her heart began to thunder in her chest. She poured her heart out in that letter, and though she knew her parents weren’t ever upset with her, she was still anxious about how they would perceive the message.

“This was a beautiful letter,” Margrette said.

Maryann could see her mother’s tears pooling in her eyes. She looked over to her father and could see a swell of pride coming off of him. Her father, Christopher Edwards, was never a man who showed a lot of emotion. He was a very stoic man. Her mother, Margrette, was the total opposite; she wore her emotions on her sleeve.

“Mama, I meant every word of it,” Maryann said.

“We know, baby,” Christopher said. “I want you to know that your mother and I are so proud of you. Look at you—your own law firm.”

“Thanks, Dad,” Maryann said. “Come on in.”

Maryann preceded her parents into her office and closed the door behind them. “Sit down.”

Maryann walked over to her desk but didn’t go behind it. Taking a deep breath, she said, “There is more to that letter.”

Maryann’s parents looked at each other, puzzled, before turning back to face their daughter.

Maryann reached behind her and pulled out the thick Minella folder. She held it in her hands before she handed it over to her father.

Puzzled, Christopher opened it and scanned the pages. Margrette looked over her husband’s shoulder.

“What is this, sweetie?” Margrette asked.

Maryann didn’t answer as she watched as her father read over the papers. Her anxiety seemed to double as she waited for him to finish or at least say something.

“Chris, what is it?” Margrette asked again, this time shaking the man’s arm a little.

That movement seemed to rile her father because he almost dropped the papers. When he looked up at Maryann, for the first time that she could remember, her father had tears in his eyes.

Christopher deposited the folder in Margrette’s lap, stood up, and engulfed his daughter in his arms. Being in her father’s arms, Maryann had the overwhelming feeling of safety and love.

Hearing Margrette screech broke Maryann and her father apart. When Maryann looked at her mother, she saw her mother was full-on crying. The papers in the folder were the deed to their house and a receipt showing that the house was paid in full. This time, the papers fell on the floor, and Margrette jumped up and wrapped her arms around her daughter.

When things settled down a little more, the papers were back in the folder; Maryann explained the logistics of what she had done and how she had protected her parents’ property from any possible lien.

“There’s one more thing,” Maryann said. This time, she walked around her desk and pulled a small accordion binder from the drawer. “These are open-ended tickets on a two-week cruise of your choosing.”

Maryann could see the disbelief on her parents’ faces. She smiled because she could also see their excitement and delight. It was at that moment that she knew doing what she did was the best thing to do.

Watching as her parents looked over all the papers Maryann presented to them, Maryann thought back to what started this whole thing.

Maryann would always come to her parents’ home for at least one meal a week. If Maryann wasn’t too busy with a case, she would come by for dinner a couple of days that week. One particular day, Maryann happened to notice the mail and saw that her parents had remortgaged their home, and there was a threat of a lien on the property. Growing up, she never knew how much financial struggles her parents had until she read when they remortgaged: right before college and then again before she went to law school. It was that day when she learned the true extent of her parents’ sacrifices. She knew she had to do something to show her gratitude for what they did for her.

Thank you, Mom. Thank you, Dad.





July 30, 2024 00:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Amanda Wisdom
22:07 Aug 11, 2024

Hi Amanda-Rene, well done here! I found Maryann's letter emotionally vulnerable and was so proud of her honesty, both with her parents and herself. Great work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.