A Bite to the Heart

Written in response to: Write about someone in a thankless job.... view prompt

0 comments

Horror Romance Fantasy

If people or creatures were what they ate, then you think vampires would be more human than monsters.  The loud music thumped around me, causing a bigger migraine than the evening before.  Black leather surrounded me,  a silver bar sitting in front of me.  Vampires were on either side of me, giving me hungry glances.  Another vampire and his food left out of the private red velvet room.  That was my cue to pick up their mess.  Fury burned in my copper eyes at the sight of torn pillows and red blood splattered everywhere.  The fresh smell of iron drifted up to my nose, twisting my stomach.   The blood I could handle, but the cushions.  Would it kill them to keep it neat and not play with their food?  Oh, wait I forgot they are already dead.  

“Quite the mess, huh?” A random guy with long black hair and glittering red eyes commented quietly. “I am sorry that you have to clean up after the slobs.”  My heart skipped a beat at the sight of him, a warm fuzzy feeling lighting up in my frigid heart.  Elegance couldn’t even describe him with his expensive Italian suit, and shiny dress shoes.  A strong hand jerked me awake, only to see my rough looking father.  Burn marks coated half his body, and only made his anger look even scarier.  Hot whiskey sat on his breath, his chocolate brown hair messed up.  Great, he was drunk again.  Terror shook my body, as his hand slammed into my face.  Hot tears rolled down my bruised cheek, shame painting my cheeks red.  

“Get back to work, you human freak.” He stammered out, barely holding his rage back. “What did I tell you about talking to the customers?”  My body trembled, putting my head down as I set to my job.  He turned to the vampire behind me, glowering in his direction.  His cheap shoes squeaked away to his office.  

“Can I take you away from all of this?” The gentleman inquired, flashing a wide smile. “You are better than this.  Oh, I forgot!  I am Clarence Smilly, hopefully your savior. “  Shock twisted my face into confusion, my eyebrows furrowing in distress.  This was a coy just to drink my blood or something. 

“I am afraid I have work to do.” I  mumbled, praying he would go away, or something. “I don’t need anymore trouble in my life.”  A soft smile formed on his face, my face falling at the sight of my father with a whip in his hand.  Clarence’s cold hand pulled me out of the club to his black Lincoln.  The cold night air nipped at my raw cheeks, the slap only hurting more.  A rough sea breeze blew my long brown wavy hair all around my face.  Chills ran up my spine because my thin black silk dress was so worn from wearing it everyday this past year.  Growls tumbled from his lips, my father stomping over to me.  

“Give her back you leech!” He shouted drunkenly. “She is my daughter and employee.”  His eyes were glazed over, his cheeks burning from the whiskey.  A crowd of people gathered around us, looks of concern flashing in their living dead eyes.  Clarence put his arm around my waist, and rolled his eyes.  My face flushed scarlet, my heart beating out of my chest.

“I will buy her then.” Clarence  asserted firmly, glaring into my father’s eyes. “How does ten thousand dollars sound?”  My father shifted uncomfortably, sadness flashing in his eyes for a moment.  A greedy smile danced across his face, my heart breaking into tiny little pieces.  

“How about we make it fifty thousand?” He offered, holding out his dirty hand. “Then we have a deal.  I personally think you are overpaying for her.  She is worth nothing.”  An irked sneer curled at the corners of Clarence’s kissable lips.  An angry vein throbbed on his pale forehead,  his nails dug into my waist.  A small cry of pain popped out of my lips, an apologetic smile formed on his lips. 

“I agree, but you must never try to contact her again.” He agreed through gritted teeth. “You are so wrong.  You will realize it later on when you are too drunk to take care of yourself.  Shove off.”  He pulled out a huge wad of cash and tossed it towards him.  Like a moth drawn to the flame, he lunged for the money laying on the wet sidewalk.  Clarence sat me down gently in the front seat of his large SUV.  The soft thud of the door jerked me awake from my numbness.  My shaking fingers clicked the seat belt as the engine roared to life.  The tires squealed, dirty street water soaking my grubby father.

“What is your deal?” I queried slightly annoyed. “Who do you think you are to buy me like an item off the shelf?”  Hurt dimmed his excited eyes, deep thought gnawing at his brain.  My arms crossed, the city lights flashing by my window.  

“I have to be honest, I have been watching you.” He explained, looking glumly at the busy streets. “It hurt me to see the girl I like being harmed.  Sorry I had to buy you, but if it makes you feel better there are only five thousand there.”  A smirk started to curl at my lips, then I thought about what he had just stated so calmly.  

“Okay.” I numbly cursed, pinching my lips together. “First off, creepy.  Second off, why?  Third thing, that is going to spoil his evening.”  A pregnant pause hung heavily in the air, his mind thinking of how to word his answer.  He looked really cute when he nervously bit his bottom lip.  

“Sorry for the creepy thing, but I think being a vampire allows me to be creepy.” He retorted coolly. “I saw you a few months ago at his club, cleaning up after his clients.  I loved the way your copper eyes glittered when you were talking to clients, and then I hated the way he treated you.  It was just wrong.  Please may I be your superhero.”  Sighing, my fingers messed with the ragged hem of my dress.  

“Thank you.” I stammered, looking away sheepishly in the other direction. “I just don’t want to burden you.”  His cold fingers wrapped around mine, a crooked grin lit up his face.  The smile melted when a pair of bright headlights flashed aggressively behind us.  Panic drained the joy in my eyes at the sight of my father’s car.  He pulled into the nearby park, my father doing the same.  Tenderness tormented my head as a strange man ripped me from the car.  Small pebbles scratched my back, unnaturally strong arms holding my chest.  Tighter, his grip got tighter with each passing second.  Cracks rang out in the still night air, one by one my ribs breaking.  My lungs burned, starving for air.  My father sauntered up to me, a knife glinting in the neon lights.  Clarence rolled around on the ground, a wooden stake sticking out of his shoulder.  A wave of agony wracked my body, the knife sliding into my stomach.  Red blood dripped onto the ground, his blade slicing into me again, and again.

“If I can’t have you, no one can.” He growled into my ear. “Good bye.”  My body collapsed into a heap, the bodyguard throwing me down.  Dirt stuck to all of my wounds, blood still pouring out of my many cuts.  Screams exploded around me, my father’s head rolling to mine.  Fear was frozen in his eyes, a scream forever frozen on his lips.  Groaning, he pulled the stake out of his shoulder.  Tears welled up in his eyes, blood dripping from the corner of my lips.  His fangs grew longer, terror widening my eyes.  A sickening sound burst into my ear, sucking sounds nauseating my stomach.  The world spun around me, sweet darkness enveloping me in a warm embrace.  

Green ornate wallpaper greeted my eyes, dark wood accenting the luscious green.  Old Victorian furniture lay all around me.  A yellow full moon illuminated the room, revealing a large room.  Clarence jumped up, grabbing my hand.  Was this heaven?  I should be dead, really dead.  

“You made it through the change.” He announced cheerfully. “I was getting worried there for a moment.”  Horror darkened my face, my nails were longer.  My hair flowed down to my waist in silky waves.  Instinctively, my trembling fingers graced two long pointy teeth.  A scream exploded from my lips, panic raging in my head.  His arms wrapped around me tightly, the smell of vanilla wafting up my nose.  His hand lifted up my chin, lust burned in his eyes.  His lips pressed against mine passionately.  Time melted away, my undead heart almost beating again.  He pulled away, our faces scarlet.

“That felt amazing.” I mumbled, looking away sheepishly. “What now?”  He pulled me closer to him, expecting a heartbeat.  Feeling stupid, my mind reminded me that he didn’t have one.  

“You get to be my vampire queen.” He mused, playing with my hair. “What do you think about that?”  A crooked grin danced across my face, liking the idea of it.  Resting my head on his chest, the stress melted away. 

“Okay.” I assured gently. “I will be your queen.  What do you eat?”  Humans were most certainly not on my menu.  Sweeping me up, a beautiful field sprawled out ahead of us.  My ears pricked up, hearing the sound of a deer in the distance. The smell of sweet wood and grass exploded in my nose,  an immense hunger burning my throat.  

“Do you want to go on a hunt, my dear?” He inquired playfully.  My arms wrapped around his neck,  my lips kissed his lips hungrily.  A hungry growl rolled off of his tongue when we pulled back.  Taking that for a yes, we leapt into the field.  Dinner was going to be fun. 

November 26, 2021 19:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.