(Series: Escape) Escape Pt. 2

Written in response to: Start your story with someone saying “I quit!” ... view prompt

12 comments

Fiction Drama Horror

Content Warning: Horrific Descriptions. Gore, and Possible Nightmare Fuel :P

Authors Note: This story is a part of an ongoing 5 part series. This is the second story. I hope you enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are very few things in this world that will get me mad. One of them is making the right plot, but making the wrong story. Or finding the right person, at the wrong time. - Author

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I quit!" I had yelled in exasperation to my boyfriend, Robbie, at the time, "You're always doing this! You're always in a bad mood, even if we're doing something fun, you always get like this!"

"Well I'm sorry if I'm human, I can't just turn off my emotions like a light switch!" he yelled back at me.

"You always turn off your emotions! I don't know what world you think you're living in where you have emotions but in this one? You don't," I said while taking a stab at his chest with my finger, "You and I are done."

"Okay," he said, grabbing his jacket and his keys. I could only assume that he was going to leave.

I was too stunned at his sudden urge to leave to say anything. I just watched as he left the small studio apartment that we could hardly afford to live in.

Since we were both going to college, we hardly stayed in our apartment, but it was still expensive to live in New York City.

He reached for the door handle and I ran towards him, "Robbie- I'm sorry- Please don't leave-"

I reached for his hand. He pulled away and looked directly into my eyes, "I thought you said we're done, Jess," and he left.

After that night I never saw him again, other than in passing at school, he never talked to me then anyways. Since I am a well-known student at the college I go to, and a lot of people knew that Robbie and I were a thing, they all asked and bombarded me with questions about us. Even people I never met are asking me questions. Saying we were a cute couple, the talk of the school, the hottest people on Earth.

"What happened, Jess?" asked Mary-Ann, one of my closest friends.

"Yeah, you'll have to tell us everything, Jess," said one of my other friends, Molly.

"Spill the tea, girl," my gay friend James chipped in,

I felt overwhelmed, "We broke up okay!" I said and stormed off to my apartment, leaving my friends behind, and letting the tears fall from my face, wishing that Robbie would come back to me. That he would forgive me and we'd be fine again. That we can make up and he'd tell me he still loves me. You broke up with him, dummy, you're the one who put this on yourself.

As I got into my apartment, I noticed what looked like a present on the bed. The white packaging stands out against the black sheets.

I picked it up, turning it over in my hands, looking for a note or some kind of letter.

I didn't see anything, so I figured it was inside the packaging.

I carefully opened the packaging, just in case what was inside was a messy thing, or if it was fragile-- just to see that it was a book.

What the hell am I supposed to do with a book?! I thought.

Then I had the feeling that I needed to read it. I couldn't deny the feeling at all. It seemed like it was the most interesting, best thing in the world, and I had to read it. I had to. There was nothing else I had to do but read the book.

I opened the book, preparing to read it, then realized shortly after that I was about to read a blank book. I suddenly felt dizzy.

"Oh! I see you've found your birthday present, Jess," called a familiar voice from behind.

My birthday is not even for another month, I thought.

I turned around, feeling dazed and like life was going full speed past my eyes. I closed my eyes, feeling like I was falling.

"Woah, calm down there, Jess," called the voice, grabbing onto my shoulders to steady me from falling.

"Wha-" I said, confused and still dazed.

"You seem tired, you should probably go lie down."

I opened my eyes, to see Robbie standing in front of me, hands on my shoulders, staring into my eyes with the most caring eyes I have ever seen. Usually, he has sleep-deprived, writer's eyes and a look of 'I don't care about anything, leave me alone,' look on his face all the time.

"I'm fine," I managed to say, slurring my words, "Why're you here?"

"I've always been here, Jess, what do you mean?"

I was so confused, "But we--," I was trying to think what we did earlier.

I couldn't remember.

"We what?" he asked, tilting his head, eyes looking like lost puppy dog eyes. The one look that I have yet to see on him, that I saw once and wished that I could see again.

"We--" I was drawing a blank, "I can't remember what we did."

"You definitely need some sleep, Jess," he said, leading me to bed.

I brushed off his hands, "I said I'm fine."

"No, you're not. You're drunk," he said.

No wonder I feel dizzy.

I looked around the apartment, seeing a mess. Like there was a party. It didn't look like that before. It was cleaned up earlier. What party would I have had?!

"In case you don't remember, you had a party last night. Molly, Mary-Ann, and James ended up getting you drunk because of a challenge game that you were opting to continue, even after throwing up," he had explained, "There was nothing I could really do, you wouldn't talk to me for some reason."

I don't even remember the last time I had a party. I know I didn't last night.

"Anyways, how do you like your pres-" he tried to say.

I was walking away, looking around the apartment, trying to find a phone, or even a clock to see what time it was.

But I couldn't find any of them. Not even the big one that was on the wall by the front door.

I ran towards the kitchen to see if the clocks on the oven or microwave were there. Neither was set.

Why aren't there any clocks? Am I dreaming?

"Jess, are you okay?" called Robbie. But it didn't sound like Robbie. It sounded like him, sure. But it sounded like something was in his throat.

I peeked around the corner, to where the bed was.

Robbie wasn't there.

"Robbie?" I called out.

I didn't get a response.

"Robbie??"

Then a squelching noise came from above, and I looked up to see what was Robbie--- in a blob form. It was more melted skin blob, with his clothes on. Hanging from the roof.

I didn't make any hesitation to run and find some help.

I ran for the front door, keeping an eye on the Blobby Robbie, just to find that there was no exit. All the windows were gone, the door was gone, and the emergency exit was gone. Everything. I was stuck in this insane situation, that I couldn't get out of.

I ran back towards the book, swerving around the blob, hoping that maybe it would be able to have some kind of directions in it.

I found it laying on the bed, open, with only just a sentence.

Be careful what you wish for, you may just have given the creator too much freedom.

October 07, 2022 17:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

Daniel R. Hayes
05:43 Oct 08, 2022

Hello again, Lilah! I read these two stories back to back and I stand by my opinion that you are super talented! I love the way you write with such imagination and vigor! Possible Nightmare Fuel... Damn... I'm thirsty, I think I'll have some more...lol :) This was great and I understand this is an ongoing series. I can't wait to read more. Keep the nightmares coming! :)

Reply

Lilah Hazard
15:22 Oct 10, 2022

Thank you so much! I appreciate your feedback and I can't wait for you to read more! I'll make sure to add some more nightmare fuel to the stories and possibly some more descriptions. lol. Again I thank you lol. Will do :D

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
15:40 Oct 10, 2022

No problem! Happy writing :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
John Del Rio
18:51 Nov 02, 2022

Interesting. Dream or evil spell, or reality warping? I have to read the next installment to fond out. I am enjoying the story as it unfolds.

Reply

Lilah Hazard
18:54 Nov 02, 2022

Hey again! I'm thinking of it as a mix of Dream and Reality Warping. I'm currently just waiting for the perfect prompt for the next part of the series.

Reply

John Del Rio
20:01 Nov 02, 2022

I know exactly what you mean. I wrote a Novella with 23 chapters on this site. Each chapter was based on a prompt. The story was titled special ingredient.

Reply

Lilah Hazard
20:12 Nov 02, 2022

Awesome! I'll have to check it out when I have some time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
21:51 Oct 18, 2022

I like this story. Quite a bit, in fact. It has a "Picture of Dorian Gray" feel to it. The no escape idea is good, adding an air of claustrophobia to the scene. Nice work.

Reply

Lilah Hazard
16:37 Oct 20, 2022

Thank you! I didn't realize till I read your comment that it does have a taste of claustrophobia. Interesting lol.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
18:06 Oct 12, 2022

Fine work.

Reply

Lilah Hazard
19:59 Oct 12, 2022

Thank you!

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
13:03 Oct 17, 2022

Welcome

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.