Anatomy of a Conspiracy Theory

Submitted into Contest #156 in response to: Write about false news coverage of an important event.... view prompt

13 comments

Fiction Speculative Drama

It was just supposed to be a joke. Well, I guess the joke’s on me because I am the one sitting in a jail cell waiting to be picked up for my arraignment. They’re keeping me in a holding cell, so it’s private, but the  toilet is right out in the open and guards keep walking back and forth. I have a shy bladder and can’t pee if people are watching. I wonder if anyone has ever died from a burst bladder. I really want to google it, but they took my phone.

I’ve been charged with six counts of involuntary manslaughter and libel against a major corporation. A corporation that can afford top notch legal representation. My lawyer is going to argue freedom of speech, but I don’t have a good feeling. I’ve begun plucking out strands of my hair again. I will probably have bald patches by the time my case comes to trial.

This whole nightmare started a couple of months ago when my boyfriend  Brad and I went out for a celebratory dinner. Well, my former boyfriend Brad. Usually, I don’t drink, but we had a lot to celebrate that night. After four agonizing years, the pandemic was finally declared to be over. Dr. Fauci held a national press conference to announce the long awaited news.  He told people to go out to dinner again, go to the movies and resume a normal life. Brad and I practically danced our way to the restaurant. We were so sick of masks. We ordered a bottle of champagne and made a toast, “The next mask we wear will be for Halloween.”

When dinner arrived, Brad and I got to talking about all the consequences and hardships of the  pandemic. We just couldn’t understand how a world wide medical disaster could turn into a political war that influenced how people felt about vaccines and masks. Or how folks could fall into the trap of believing conspiracy theories. My cousin Eleanor, who is actually quite intelligent, believed the government put little chips in the vaccines so they could track everything you did. A couple of my friends were so sure the vaccines caused infertility they refused to get them. That’s what inspired our stupid bet. That’s how a new conspiracy theory was born. It was all because of Brad.

 Brad claimed that people can’t be fooled that easily. That there is always some sort of logic, some nugget of truth to every conspiracy theory people are drawn to. That people are not that stupid. Well, I disagreed. Brad bet me ten dollars that I couldn’t come up with a believable  enough conspiracy theory to cause people to react. Challenge accepted. Even under normal circumstances I’ve never been able to resist a challenge, but after a bottle of champagne and three shots, I was not thinking clearly. We skipped dessert and went home early because Brad wasn’t feeling well. He ended up vomiting a bunch of times and collapsed into bed. I on the other hand, was still feeling giddy, so I  grabbed my computer and clicked open Facebook. I couldn’t wait to get started on that bet. A bet, that even if I collected on it. wouldn’t even cover five seconds of my lawyer’s fees. This is what I posted.

“Oh my God! Have you heard the news. The vaccines that were created to fight the virus have now been found to have horrific side effects. Studies being conducted by the CDC show proof that the vaccines, which were designed to amp up our immune systems to fight disease, have fired them up so much that now they are attacking our own organs. Reports are coming in from all over the world of massively increased rates of diabetes, lupus and other immune disorders. An investigation is underway to discover if Phreedom Pharmaceuticals, maker of the vaccines, knew about these consequences. A disgruntled employee of the company now claims Phreedom has been stockpiling diabetes and lupus medications for four years.”

I read it over, patted myself on the back and pressed post. Exhausted, I closed my computer and fell into bed.

The next morning I woke up with a mouth full of sawdust and the worst headache of my life. It took everything I had just to drag myself into the kitchen to search for the Advil. Just as I was popping four of the tablets into my mouth, Brad stormed into the kitchen and bellowed,  “Holy cow Ruby, what in God’s name did you do? Your post has gone viral. It’s all over Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. People are going crazy. You have to take it down.” 

At first I thought Brad was joking, you know, because of the bet, but when I opened my computer my heart practically jumped out of my chest. My hands began to shake as I frantically took down my post. It was already too late, though. It had been shared over twelve thousand times. Then it dawned on me. Eleanor.

My cousin Eleanor was a member of like twenty different conspiracy theory groups on Facebook. She had to be the one that spread my post. Who else could it be? I grabbed the phone and called her but before I could say a word she gushed, “Thank you Ruby for bringing this important information to the public. I always knew something like this would happen. You’ve cracked this case like an investigative journalist. I’m so proud of you.”

Now, Eleanor and I had never been close. In fact we were only Facebook friends because my mother asked me to do her a favor. Eleanor has always been paranoid, even as a kid and I made it my business to stay out of her way at family gatherings. Talking to her always stresses me out. I took a deep breath and calmly said, “Eleanor, I am not an investigative journalist, I am a science fiction writer. I write books about creatures with big heads and lots of tentacles. I don’t understand anything about medical science and made the whole story up. Please take your posts down right now before they do any more damage.” 

The next thing I knew, Eleanor did what my niece calls booping. She hung up on me without even saying good-bye. Boop.

I may have told Eleanor a bit of a lie, but it was for a good reason. I actually did know a lot about medical science and at one point had even contemplated writing a dystopian novel about a vaccine apocalypse. The same kind as in my post. But I didn’t end up writing it because I was very concerned that somebody might take it seriously. 

 After Eleanor booped me, I tossed down my phone and went back to bed. My head was killing me and my thoughts were jumbled. My little story was supposed to be a joke, but now that I was sober, I realized what a stupid idea it was. I stayed in bed most of the day and streamed the entire first season of Seinfeld, getting up for food and bathroom breaks only.

That night, after dinner my mom called in a panic and told me to turn on channel 7 news. She was shrieking so loudly I could barely understand her. I flicked on the tv and froze. There on the screen was a blown up version of my driver’s license photo. Those Department of Motor Vehicle photos can make anyone look like a convict. A reporter was saying,  “People are panicking after thirty-one year old author Ruby Miller’s allegations that there are severe and multiple side effects from the vaccines. She additionally suggested the pharmaceutical company knew all about the potential risks and is profiting from it. We spoke with the CEO of  Phreedom Pharmaceudicals who denied all allegations. He asked people to please stop calling customer service because there is absolutely no truth to what Ms. Miller said. He ended it by saying they would see to it that Ms. Miller is prosecuted for libel to the full extent of the law.

I threw my shoe at the tv and picked up the phone to call Brad. After his little outburst that morning he packed up all the things and stormed out of the apartment. He wouldn’t take my call but later he texted me to say we were done. That he could never be with a person who would spread rumors like that. My blood began to boil. The whole thing was his idea. Well, good riddance to bad rubbish. Then I cried myself to sleep.

Over the next few weeks, things got completely out of control. FOX news added a special segment in which they interviewed people newly diagnosed with diabetes and other immune disorders. It was ridiculous. They didn’t even talk about genetic predisposition or any of the diabetes risk factors that so many of these people had. Plus now, Phreedom Pharmaceuticals had thousands of law suits pending and sleazy lawyers were making infomercials, you know the kind. “Have you been harmed by the vaccine? Call us for a free consultation.” 

The worst part was I couldn’t leave my apartment because the press was always outside my door. I was getting so many phone calls I had to switch off my phone. On the advice of my lawyer, I made a statement to the press apologizing for my actions and confirming that the story was completely a work of fiction. I ended up sitting on my couch all day and working on my newest book. It’s about aliens that invade people’s brains and make them do stupid stuff.

 My poor mother had to do my grocery shopping and run all my errands. As I worked on my book it crossed my mind that it might never be published. That I might never be published again. Or would people want to read my book out of morbid curiosity?

Even with everything going on, I was still trying to stay positive that things would blow over and my twenty seconds of fame would soon be up. That wasn’t to be the case. Just when things were starting to quiet down, I got word that six people had committed suicide because of my Facebook story. Six human beings that were so terrified of getting sick they took their own lives. That night, two police officers showed up at my door to arrest me. Brad got off scot-free.

A police escort will arrive soon to take me to the courthouse. My lawyer advised me to plead not guilty. He is going to argue my first amendment rights, but really, who is to blame here? Is it just me, is it me and Brad, is it me and Eleanor? Is it me and Mark Zuckerberg? Perhaps it is the media for spreading my story so quickly, or FOX news for practically confirming it. Or is it every single conspiracy theorist that reposted my story over and over again on social media.

Meanwhile, I’ve lost my home, brought shame upon my family and I’m pretty sure my parents will have to declare bankruptcy after paying my lawyer’s fees. I  don’t know what I’ll do if I have to go to prison. I am not cut out for it. I would do anything to take that story back.

July 29, 2022 14:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

Lorilyn Roberts
00:47 Aug 08, 2022

Great story. Loved it.

Reply

Peggy Gerber
12:21 Aug 08, 2022

Thank you so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yves. ♙
23:42 Aug 07, 2022

A very timely story-- I always enjoy reading something that clearly reflects what's been on the author's mind. Did this come to you immediately when you saw the prompt? Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Peggy Gerber
12:22 Aug 08, 2022

Thank you so much for reading. Yes, the story came to mind as soon as I saw the prompt. That doesn’t usually happen.

Reply

Yves. ♙
18:11 Aug 08, 2022

I know, right? Part of the fun for me in reading all the submissions is seeing how many different ways we all interpret the same prompts. Some weeks I've got nothing, and then I come online and see hundreds of incredible interpretations! Thanks for sharing yours.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:19 Aug 02, 2022

A very relevant take on the prompt. A joke isn't a joke if people don't get it, I guess. This one certainly got out of hand, and what I think is telling is that people were super quick to listen to her when she told them what they wanted to hear, but she was immediately ignored when she retracted it. We don't want news, do we? We want to be right, to have others validate us. Her fate is interesting. On the one hand, it seems overkill for writing a silly article. On the other hand, she deliberately wanted to write viral misinformation, and...

Reply

Peggy Gerber
23:19 Aug 03, 2022

Thanks so much for your thorough review. You bring out some very important points and it was my hope that this story would get people to think.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nicole Gerber
22:25 Aug 01, 2022

Terrifying. It’s so easy for information (and misinformation) to be shared and spread.

Reply

Peggy Gerber
00:32 Aug 02, 2022

Thanks so much for your comment. It is so true.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jessalyn Gerber
01:29 Aug 01, 2022

Such a scary but accurate account of how fast news can spread!

Reply

Peggy Gerber
00:32 Aug 02, 2022

Thanks so much. It boggles the mind how quickly misinformation can spread.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alice Shaps
21:55 Jul 31, 2022

The story is disturbing in it's reality of how fast untruths spread and are taken seriously. It was written amazingly. I couldn't stop reading.

Reply

Peggy Gerber
00:31 Aug 02, 2022

Thank you so much for your comment. That was my point exactly.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.