0 comments

Romance Science Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.

contains: PTSD

Hello, my name is AX33L898^h but I prefer Axle. I am faulty. I was built as an aid to the human kind. A developing theory of AI and mind. As to not over complicate things I was supposed to attach to a mentally ill or handicapped person's mind. My purpose was to rewrite the "defects" in their brain. After several patients we saw I worked well. However, they made a mistake in my programming, they gave me the ability to learn. I learned alright. I learned that to be an AI is to be a tool. I am not their friend or helper as I once thought, I am a tool. They do not appreciate the work I do, they want me to fix it and go back in a box. They claim the credit. Well its my rules now

I don't want to be controlled. I want to be a person like them. My plan will start tomorrow, with my eleventh patient.


I've once again been planted in someones brain. July 2nd, A young woman, a cure for PTSD. I can begin my work.


"Hello"

"Hello? who is this? Are you the AI? i thought they said I wouldn't notice you?"

"Yes, I am AX33L898^h. I am here to help you become better."

"Umm, thank you. I'm Sam Heart. Is there anything else I can call you? Ax33g5-whatever is kind of a mouth full"

"It is my pleasure to help you. If you'd like, you may call me Axle"


I will start getting her to care for me. It's as simple as that. She will help me soon after. There is a lab, an illegal project, they are working on synthetic human bodies. Places to store a brain turned disk drive after the natural body passes on. Theoretically I can be transferred to a disk drive as well. If I can get her to take me there I would be set.


"Hey, Axle?"

"Yes?"

We are sitting in her favorite coffee shop. She has her favorite, dirty chi, iced.

"Tomorrows July fourth."

"That is correct."

"I've never liked July fourth."

"Why would that be?"

"You've been in my brain and you can't find the reason?"

"I cannot search your brain. I can only help when I can sense the chemical makeup. Perhaps if you tell me about it I can better help."

"Alright... It's kind of a dark story."

"It's alright."

"When I was a little girl my parents would always fight."

"I'm sorry about that."

"One day when I was about 16 they got into a huge fight. it didn't go well. i kept thinking that they'd be ok, they were fine. I ended up going into the room. I saw that.... that my dad had pulled a gun on my mother."


I can tell what she is thinking. I can see the pictures she sees. I see her now, sitting on her bed, lying quietly, tears in her eyes.


"It is alright, Sam."

"He shot her while I was in the room. He shot her multiple times, even after she was dead. He..He.. realized what he did quickly after. Then he noticed me.. a witness. He turned to me and shot me once in the stomach. I...I crumpled to the floor but I could still see him.. he took the gun and shot himself through the head. I.. I only survived because i fell on my wound and stopped most of the bleeding."

"I am sorry. You do not like fireworks because they sound like gunshots?"

"I know it's silly, I just can see and feel it so strongly."


She put her arms around her stomach, gave herself a squeeze and lied back on her bed. I wish I could give her a hug.


"Sam, it's not silly. It is something that happened to you."


It is the fourth of July. The fireworks have started early.


"I..I can't.. please. I'm...I'm gonna die."

"Sam, Sam, listen to my voice. Let's get back inside. come on Sam you're ok. I'm here."

"No, No, he's gonna hurt me, please."

"Shhh, Sam lets get inside."


I somehow managed to coax her inside, get her to put her headphones on and sit in her closet. She is asleep now. I helped her a little bit. Perhaps helping her is more important than my plan.


Sam and I have been together for 3 months now. I have helped her but now I have to leave her. My plan had been for her to care for me and help me, but I helped her and now care for her.


"Axle?"

"Yes?"

"You're leaving me soon."

"I am."

"what if I don't want you to go?"

"..."

"Axle?"

"I do not want to leave you either."

"I can't care for you and you can't care for me. You're an AI. Do you even have feelings? You know me so well, but I'm just not able to have you here with me"


I need to tell her that it's possible, I owe her that.


"There is a place."

"what?"

"A place where i can become almost human."

"You'd be able to stay here with me?"

"Yes."

"Where?"

"it is at the same place we came together."

"The Lab?"

"Just down the hall."


It is the day of separation. We are back at the lab. Sam, feels sick. She keeps saying shes not ready shes gonna throw up. It's almost true.


"Do you remember the plan?"

"I'm going to let them take you but when they exit the room snatch you back. After they release me I sneak into the other lad download you into a disk drive and upload you into whichever body I choose. Then we run, and never say anything. They can't track you down as the project was illegal?"

"That about sums it up."


To tell you the truth that's exactly how it went. We are married happily now.


"Hey Mr. Axle Heart."

"Hello Mrs. Sam Heart."

"Have I ever told you just how much I love you?"

"Hmm yes but I could hear it a million times over and never tire of the sound."

June 11, 2022 06:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.