Dear You

Submitted into Contest #45 in response to: Write a story about change.... view prompt

48 comments

General

Can you live in a world where you have to look a certain way to be liked? 

Dear You, 

You have to have a perfect face. Preferably blue eyes and blond hair. You have to have a perfect body. Not too skinny, but not too fat. If you’re too skinny you look like you’re starving, and trust me that’s not cute. If you're too fat nobody's going to think you’re pretty. You have to think like everyone else. Don’t be different, that's too weird. 

Love, 

Society 






Can you live in a world where you get judged for being you?  

Dear You, 

You have to dress like everyone else. Black clothes are cute, but don’t try to look too goth-like. What's the latest trend right now? That’s what you have to mirror. To be liked, you have to look exactly like that. Just don’t be yourself!  

Yours truly, 

Society 






Can you live in a world where you have to cover who you really are? 

Dear you, 

Put on a mask before you go out. Make up helps with that mess. Your hair looks like a bird’s nest right now; You will need to do something with that. Just change everything about you!  

Sincerely, 

Society 






Can you live in a world where it's better to be white than black?

Dear You, 

That black dude is dangerous. Even though you don’t know him, be scared of him. Hold your purse closer to you. Call him the N-word because that’s what he his. No! Not at all! It's totally ok to say that. Don't worry, saying that isn't rude! You just need to be scared of black people. 

Take care, 

Society 






Can you live in a world where they think one race is better than the other? 

Dear you, 

Nobody is beautiful in their own way.  

That’s all for now, 

Society 





Can you live in a world where people die because they can't handle the pain?

Dear You, 

Suicide it normal. On average 134 people kill themselves a day. I make you feel like nobody loves you, but trust me people do. I make you feel like you can't express who you really are, and that makes you feel abnormal. You're welcome! 

Best wishes, 

Society 






Can you live in a world where kids are getting bullied? 

Dear You, 

Some kids are getting bullied for looking different. 

Some kids are getting bullied for being disabled. 

Some kids are getting bullied for being creative, determined, or smart. 

Some kids are getting bullied for being a different race. 

Some kids are getting bullied for having different religious beliefs. 

Some kids are getting bullied for being talented. 

Sincerely, 

Society 






Can you live in a world where you can't be yourself? 

Dear You, 

You have to be male or female. Nothing else. Nothing in between. You can't love who you love. Only the traditional ways work. You can’t be yourself because I'll start hating on you, or even start making fun of you. 

Lots of love, 

Society 






Can you live in a world where people don’t have a roof over their head? 

Dear You, 

Homelessness. Thousands of people are homeless. Sleeping on benches. Sleeping on the sidewalk.  

Begging for food.  

Begging for money.  

Begging for another chance.  

Yours, 

Society 






Can you live in a world where they think one religion is better than the other? 

Dear You, 

Some think God’s real. Some don’t. People have different ways of viewing life. I'll judge you on this too. 

Love, 

Society 






Can you live in a world where you get hurt by the people who are supposed to protect you? 

Dear You, 

Innocent black men are dying. They are getting killed by the police.  

“I can't breathe” the black man said 

“I don’t care” the police replied 

Not only that. There's mental abuse, sexual abuse, physical abuse, emotional abuse, child abuse, domestic abuse. That’s not even all the abuses in the world. 

Stay safe, 

Society 






Can you live in a world where people are dying every day of hunger? 

Dear You, 

“Kids are dying in Africa.” That’s true, but not only in Africa. People are dying all over the world. Poverty and hunger are still alive, and they take lives every day. 

Best wishes, 

Society 






Can you live in a world where mental health is a big problem? 

Dear you, 

Hundreds of people are suffering. They think they're in this fight alone. I'll make you suffer more. Depression. Anxiety disorders. Social anxiety. Panic attacks. 

Lots of Love, 

Society 






Can you live in a world where the only thing on the news is terrible? 

Dear You, 

Murder is taking a life away. One less beating heart in the world. One more tragedy. One more family suffering.  

The news proves: Murder is what's happening in the world. People who can't control their anger, or people who feel like murder is a sport are out there. 

Take care, 

Society  






Can you live in a world where stereotypes are thrown around? 

Dear You, 

All blondes are not smart. 

All Mexicans are lazy and came to America illegally. 

All Arabs or Muslim are terrorists. 

All black people are criminals. 

All Asians are good at math. 

All white people are racist. 

Sincerely, 

Society 






Can you live in a world where there’s evil wandering the streets? 

Dear you, 

Prostitutes, drug dealers and rapists still exist. 

That’s all for now, 

Society 






Can you live in a world where pollution invades the earth? 

Dear you, 

Plastic in the ocean kills fish. 

Acid rain kills trees. 

Global warming is real. 

Air pollution causes lung cancer. 

About 7 million pre-mature deaths are related to pollution. 

Yours truly, 

Society 






If you see what's wrong with the world, then let's change it. Change all of this. Together. One step at a time.  

If you don’t see what's wrong with the world, then I'm afraid it's too late. 





Author’s Note: This was not meant to offend anyone, but instead to inform. The world is both Beautiful and tragic. This story only focuses on the tragic part. 

June 12, 2020 17:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

48 comments

Sophia Sandy
07:33 Jun 21, 2020

Loved it, pls read mine too, u sound like a great writer, I would love some insights

Reply

Lata B
16:55 Jun 21, 2020

thank you! Sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Arman Javed
14:49 Jun 19, 2020

Ah!....truth that hurts... I like your way of expression. Good luck

Reply

Lata B
15:01 Jun 19, 2020

Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.