5 comments

Fiction Suspense Teens & Young Adult

I was seven. I remember the blue sky and the soft snowflakes that sifted slowly, seemingly, from the heavens.

“Look both ways, Anna” I heard my mother say. “Anna, look both ways“ I barely heard her voice, slowly rising. I opened my mouth and stuck out my tongue to greet a lonely snowflake.

“Anna!” I jumped, startled by the sudden exclamation and bit my tongue. The taste of blood flooding my senses.

”Sorry, mom” I looked to my left then to my right. “All clear“ I said smoothly while smiling at my mother who couldn’t possible frown any deeper. She sighed as we swiftly walked down the street.

“Your father would be disappointed if he saw how distracted you have been lately, Anna” the words rolled off and over my head as my eyes drifted back to the sky.

“I wish I were a snowflake“ I regretted muttering when I saw the stern look on my mother’s face.

“ What did you say, Anna? You know I hate when you mutter and so does your father“

Snowflakes are free. I chose not to answer my mothers question while we arrived at our destination. My father‘s smart smile lit up the lobby as we walked in. I winced. I hate that smile. His eyes stared into my soul. A dare perhaps? 

My lips stayed sealed, the way they always had.

......

”Hi, Anna, you can call me Jenna” the strange woman said to me. “ I am a representative for the Humane Society’s Children‘s Protections Service. I understand that you are eight years old, now. Is that correct?“. Her eyes didn’t twinkle when she smiled and the bright red lipstick had stained her teeth.

“ Your teeth are red” was all I said in reply. She scowled and looked in a handheld compact mirror she had pulled from her purse. “ I turned eight, 2 weeks ago” she nodded at my statement, apparently satisfied.

“We also understand that you didn’t have the best relationship with your father. Could you explain why that is, Anna?“ our eyes met as I glanced over at her across the small bright pink table.

“I hate the color pink“ I said, not bothering to answer her question.

“Why is that?“ she apparently had given up asking the routine questions. Questions, questions, and more questions. I sighed.

“My mother only ever bought me things that were pink“ I said as I stood and walked over to the child sized bed that lay in the corner. I crawled into the bed and drew the covers over myself.

A minute passed before Jenna stood, sighing, and walked over to the door. After slowing leaving the room and shutting the door, I heard whispers.

“ She seems mature for her age” Jenna

“ That’s normal for kids that have lived through trauma, you know that“ A mans voice.

“ I never get used to it, oh and will you have someone bring in a new table and bed set? She hates pink”.

“Sure thing”

....

”Hey, kid” The man from the whispered conversation in the hallway. 

”Hi” I managed, weakly. Tears blurring my vision.

“My name is Tristan“. His smile seemed more sincere. Unless it was forced. Fake? 

”Nod your head if the answer is yes and shake it if it is no, okay?“ I nodded. “Great! Your father is the ceo of Lance Corp. Right?” Another slow nod. ”A week ago, an employee of Lance Corp. reported something he had overheard from a conversation between your father and another employee. Do you know what it was they were discussing?” Hesitantly, I shook my head. Tristan stared into my eyes as if he was trying to decipher my soul. Apparently, he couldn’t. “ There was an accusation made that seems to have some truth to it. A rather, um, unfortunate claim. Did your father ever do anything that seemed abnormal, or wrong? You can be honest, honey”. Honey. Honey. That one word took me back to a year ago. 

...

”It’s alright, honey“ A tear sliding down my cheek. The smell of sweat and blood. Blurred vision. “You’ll be alright. Right, honey?” A nod. 

...

”I just don’t understand why we have to ask all these questions. Can’t we just ask her directly instead of avoiding it? Maybe then we’ll get some answers”.

Do they know I can hear them? 

”Tristan, my team and I were put on her case to defend and help her! She’s eight years old! We have a system that we use to protect her innocence”. 

“ I know Jenna, I know”. 

...

“ Anna, did you know a man by the name Will Thompson? He worked for your father“. My eyes widened with fear and my mind went back to last year. 

...

”Hey, kid. Do you like the snow? I saw you out there looking up at the sky and smiling” the man smiled, his eyes soft. I smiled back. He was younger than the rest of my dad‘s employees but he was definitely the nicest and my favorite. 

“I haven’t seen you here before“ I simply stated. 

“Oh, I’m new around here. Today’s my first day, actually. You are Lance’s daughter right? What’s your name?” He had a bright look in his eyes and an aura of youthful intelligence. 

“My name is Anna”. I said shyly, awestruck.

The man’s smile grew and he stuck his hand out for me to shake.

”My name is Will, Will Thompson“ 

...

“Where are we going, dad?” I asked looking into my father’s kind brown eyes.

“It’s April fools day, Anna, and me and the guys have a funny prank to play on the new guy, Will. It’ll be harmless. I promise” I laughed with him, regardless of the fact I hadn’t been included in the planning of this “prank“. We were driving in unfamiliar territory, yet I wasn’t worried. I remember how naive I had been. We pulled over on the side of the road and calmly got out of the car.

“Follow me, honey“ dad said. So I did. there were train tracks up ahead and a few men I recognized as dad’s friends. I noticed Will talking to someone off in the distance.

“Are you sure you all did this?” Will said.

“Of course we did! And we never complained about it.” My father yelled to him.

“We are gonna be on this side over here, Anna” I followed my dad across the train tracks, looking both ways.

“What are we doing, dad” I said confused.

Okay, honey. Will is going to jump across the tracks when we say “go“. We all did it so now it’s his turn“.

“Okay“ I answered, convinced. Minutes passed slowly and the tracks begun to rumble.

“Step back, Anna” I crept back slowly but paused when I heard “Go!” I looked up while Will jumped over the tracks, never in harms way. We laughed. Suddenly, I heard myself scream. I watched, in fear, while my father ran over to us and swiftly shoved Will backwards, into the trains path. Then, all I saw was darkness.

...

”She explained everything?” Jenna asked unconvinced.

“There is just one thing that didn’t match the other statements“ Tristan explained slowly.

“Well?”

“Anna thinks her dad pushed Will into the train... who should tell her she pushed and killed Will Thompson?”.

...

When I was 5, I had a friend named Ally, short for Allison. One day we were swimming in my pool when my mother called to us.

“Anna, Alice, lunchtime!”

“Coming, mom“ I yelled in reply. Ally beat me to the ladder and I couldn’t help but feel angry. My vision blurred and suddenly my hand was wrapped around her blond braid. She screamed in pain as she was torn from the ladder and fell back into the water. Part of me hoped she wouldn’t resurface but she did, coughing and crying. I climbed up the ladder as my mother ran over to us.

“What’s the matter, Allison?” She asked my friend, kindly.

I quickly replied and gave Ally a stern, almost evil, look. “ we were just playing mom, I promise“ I threatened Ally with my eyes as my mother looked to her for reassurance.

Uncertain my mother said,“ okay, just remember girls, it’s all fun and games until someone gets hurt“.

March 28, 2021 02:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Ruthie Moreno
21:50 Apr 07, 2021

I was surprised by the twist at the end! Excellent. I read your story as a Reedsy prompt judge and enjoyed it. Keep up the submissions.

Reply

Rosa Brock
03:36 Apr 08, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nina Chyll
20:49 Apr 05, 2021

Gosh that got darker and darker!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Eric Hyzer
15:24 Apr 04, 2021

This is my type of story. Nice work!

Reply

Rosa Brock
23:45 Apr 04, 2021

Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.