0 comments

Contemporary Drama Fiction

Rahul was about 30, was handsome, tall, slim and fair with a clean shaven face. Not very far from his house lived dancer Malaika. She was about 27 and was quite good looking. She had shifted from dancing to run a dance school. Rahul had been introduced to Malaika by one of his cousins and he had started moving closely with her. People who knew Rahul and Malaika would say they were sure to get married.

Rahul was a chartered accountant and worked for the family firm his father headed. The firm had an important client - a large overseas conglomerate. It had been levied a hefty sum as penalty for some infringements of law and sought to file an appeal against it in the Supreme Court of India in New Delhi. Rahul’s father had chosen Geet who was a leading lawyer after passing out of the premier National Law School of India to be the legal counsel. Geet who was also nearing 30 started coming to Rahul’s firm for discussions. Geet was nice looking with a perpetual smile on her face due to which she would charm people with whom she dealt. Rahul was initially immune to her charm but during the regular inter action, he found himself drawn towards her. When the date of hearing in the court drew near, Geet said “Rahul, I would like you also to go to Delhi with us: There could be some points on which the judges could raise queries. If you’re there you could clarify. Of course 2 lawyers who are assisting me will be coming with me. I don’t know how long we would’ve to stay there. It all depends. The judges could adjourn after only a day.”

Rahul agreed and the team went to Delhi where they stayed in a 5 star hotel. The hearing lasted only two days and the case was adjourned. Geet said “Rahul your coming with us was very useful. I’m sure the judges were really impressed with our arguments. There will be further hearings when you could again join our team.”

Malaika called Rahul and said “You seem to have suddenly turned away from me. I sent you the invitation and reminded you also, but you were not present when the Chief Minister presided over the maiden dance performance by a talented girl trained by me.”

“No. No! I couldn’t be present as there was an important case in a critical stage in the Supreme Court and I had to provide facts. I’ll come possibly next time.”

“I hear you’re in close touch with Geet. I suspect that’s the reason you’re avoiding me. Someone who knows Geet told me. You should be careful as the same source told me that despite her perpetual smile she is over-bearing and ditches people.”

He said “She is a gifted lawyer and there’re people who want to besmear her reputation saying such things about her. She is aware of such opinions about her. She told me so herself. I’m convinced she has the ability to fight off such rumours and emerge triumphant.”

Malaika now realised that Rahul preferred Geet to herself. She was convinced that he was in love with Geet and decided to forget him. She said “Rahul, I with my team will be leaving this week end for performances at places ranging from Singapore to New Zealand. We’ll be back after about 10 weeks.”

“Have a good time.”

After 60 days, a newspaper carried the following news: ‘Noted dance teacher Malaika returned yesterday after a long tour. Music director Oberon had joined the team. Everywhere they went, the team received kudos. The Thai king had requested for an extra show which was met. The team was showered with praise and gifts. Malaika said that the success of the team was due to the efforts of Oberon who was helping and guiding the performers. It is known that Oberon’s wife had passed away a few days ago and he had opted to go on the tour with Malaika to come to terms with his sorrow. It is said that a cine producer in Bangkok has signed up to produce a film on an Indian opera show to be jointly produced by Oberon and Malaika. The group had to perform two extra shows in New Zealand due to popular demand.’ The article had two shots of Malaika with Oberon who was young and handsome.

Rahul who had been following the columns about Oberon and Malaika was strangely perturbed. He immediately called up Malaika and said “First my congratulations at the acclaim your team has received. I wonder if we could get together somewhere. I’ve many matters to discuss with you.”

She said “I’ll call you later as I’m now busy with Oberon.”

Rahul was very unhappy. Oberon was a handsome young man with a lot of money and above all was now a widower. He said to himself: “She appears to have become close to Oberon.” She didn’t call Rahul and so he again spoke to her. He said “I’ll go to any place you specify to talk to you. There’re a lot to talk about.”

He called her 6 times when she finally said “I don’t want to meet you in any public venue. Come to my little theatre Saturday night at about 8. The place would be empty since all students and staff would’ve left. However should Oberon need me I’ll inform you, and you can treat our meeting as cancelled.”

“I’ll be there as I’m desperate to talk to you.”

On Saturday, Rahul reached Malaika’s little theatre well ahead of time. He was finally let in by security on Malaika’s orders. When they were face to face he saw she was shining possibly because of her recent successes. He said “I’m glad to see you.”

She was surprised to see him with a beard and sunk eyes. She said “I hope you weren’t ill.”

“I was mentally ill which is reflected in my appearance.”

“Geet must not have lavished her attention on you.”

He was silent a few moments and then said “I’m depressed and have come to seek your help.”

She got a phone call and said “I understand, Oberon. I’ll organize it positively on Monday.”

She turned to Rahul and said “Oberon has been highly impressed with me. He is producing an opera on a mythological theme and wants me to not only get dancers but singers as well. I’ll be fully busy the next two months.”

He said “I’ll first apologize for my having neglected you recently.”

She laughed and said “It doesn’t matter as you were steeped in your job.”

“You’re being sarcastic! A man can make mistakes.”

“So can a woman in estimating a man.”

“I can guess that you’re laughing at me within yourself about my contact with Geet.”

“You’re free to think whatever you like.”

He sighed and said “I can see you hate me. Is it because of Oberon?”

“You’re free to speculate.”

After a pause he said “I was carried away by Geet’s charm and intellectual ability. In spite of it our client lost the case with costs. I now regret having moved closely with her. She is marrying a member of parliament.”

“I’m sorry for you.

“Can’t we get together again?”

There was a long silence after which she said “I need time to think. You’ve proved fickle by hastily getting attracted to Geet. You lack good judgment.”

“Say anything about me but allow me to restore my feelings towards you. I admit it was a mistake to have fallen for Geet.”

“Give me time to think it over. In case I accept you again, would you invite Geet to the wedding?”

“That is a very difficult question to answer. She is a business associate. It wouldn’t be right to cut her out of the wedding list of invitees but I’ll accept whatever you say. Just let us get together again.”

There was an interruption in the talk while somebody walked in. Malaika said “I had ordered food for two to be delivered here. Let us eat.”

“I’ve no appetite. I’ll skip dinner.”

“You’re being childish. Come on, let us eat.”

He ate without relish and she said “I can see you’re really worried. Grow up. I’ll forgive you.”

He brightened and said “That means you accept to become my wife.”

“You’re again showing immaturity. And you’re dense. You can’t understand what a woman says. I feel sorry for you.” He got up and clasping her said “I thought you would never forgive me. I’m looking forward to settling the wedding date. You decide about the invitees.”

“Geet must be invited.”

END

February 16, 2021 07:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.