A Letter from Josephine Bracken to Jose Rizal

Submitted into Contest #80 in response to: Write about a child witnessing a major historical event.... view prompt

3 comments

Drama Sad Historical Fiction


_____



29th December, 1896


My Dear Rizal,


I hope this letter will reach you my love. I do not know what to do. I will die of sorrow. I will die of losing you. I love you with all my heart and I will forever love you. In our another life, we shall meet again and we shall die old together. 


your wife,

Josephine.


I run as quickly as possible. I should not be seen by anyone. This letter must be sent to Dr. Jose Rizal at all cost. 


“Tomorrow morning he shall die with his writings, and the rebel’s movement against Spain shall be impaired onwards.” The exact words I heard from one of the spaniard officers.


I squeezed the letter into my right pocket. Dr. Jose Rizal will be publicly executed tomorrow, December 30, 1896, and this letter was entrusted to me by Ate Josephine Bracken - Rizal’s wife. Dr. Jose Rizal was held imprisoned in Fort Santiago due to alleged alliance with “The Katipunan”, a Filipino nationalist secret society that revolted against Spain. He was arrested and charged with sedition - his works contributed to the rising filipino movements against spaniards. He has been held captive for fifty-six days now, and Ate Josephine has lost all hope. She was weeping day and night, praying that a miracle would transpire and would save Dr. Jose Rizal for this tragic mishap.


Sweating and breathing heavily, I cautiously peeked through the pillar and checked if there was any military guarding this area. I stood behind for a moment and gathered my wits. The next thing to do will be the most dangerous. I have to pass through a door that has the most militaries. Garnering all my courage, I slowly walked through the door, checked if someone was inside and advanced through the stairs that lead to Dr. Rizal. 


“quién eres tú”

(Who are you?)


I was paralyzed on the spot. Terror struck my breath knowing that I was caught. I turned to the direction of the voice and instantly sweat poured down through my body. I am beyond terrified. I’ve heard stories before about how Filipinos were tortured, and sometimes, brutally killed for any kind of disobedience against the Spaniards.


_____


“You, Indio child, What are you doing here!?”


I tried to open my mouth to say a word but nothing was coming out. He swiftly walked to me, grabbed me by my shoulder and dragged me outside. I became conscious of my surroundings when I was roughly thrown inside a cell. It was a small filthy room, with only one-way in and no single window. I looked around to look for a possible way to escape but there was no any.  I decided to sit on a piece of wood I saw, and clutched my pocket as I remembered the letter I was supposed to give to Dr. Rizal. My eyes widened. It was just here! I inspected my pocket again, hoping that it would suddenly appear, but it did not. Ate Josephine will feel miserable. She loves Dr. Rizal more than anything in this world. She was immensely devastated by the news. She rarely eats and I often hear her sobbing in her room. Seeing her in such a state, I told her to send a letter to Dr. Rizal for the last time, but she was reluctant, she was afraid of what might happen to me, even so I insisted. I will do anything for Ate Josephine. She saved me from my abusive father, sheltered me, fed me and treated me like her own family. So whatever happens, I must give the letter to Dr. Rizal.


_____


I abruptly woke up to the sound of a creaking door. Glancing at the window, dawn greeted me with solemnity, as if reminding me of what will take place today. My eyebrows rose in realization, it was already morning. I cannot comprehend how in the world I was able to sleep considering the situation. I failed. I failed Ate Josephine. 


“Stomp whimpering Indio! Be grateful you will be released.”


I raised my head in the man’s direction, and without hesitation, I ran to the cell door and ran as fast as I could. I don’t have the letter with me but I can at least tell him. I do not know how but if there is a tiny way then I will do it. Keeping my breathing steady, I pushed harder and ran faster. A thin layer of sweat covered the nape of my neck as I passed through  figures that blurred in my speed. I ran as my tears clouded my vision. I ran as my feet numbed with each hopeless push. I ran and ran and ran.


“Boom”


My heart stopped beating as I witnessed how the bullets hit Dr. Rizal. I saw him resisted and turned himself to face his executors. He fell down, the warmth of his life stolen by the embrace of death, blood rushing out as he gently closed his eyes.


“Viva España! Muerte a los traidores!” cried by the Spaniards’ military.

(Long live Spain! Death to the traitors!)


_____


After a few minutes, everyone returned like nothing happened. They were just casually conversing, some were smiling and some even made Rizal’s dead body a mockery. With weak knees, I walked mindlessly back to Fort Santiago. The scene was repeatedly played in my head. The sound of the bullet continuously resonated throughout my ear. Oblivious to my surroundings, I was stunned where my feet brought me. I was in Dr. Rizal's prison cell. I do not know how no one saw me entering or how I ended up here. But all these questions in my head faded when I saw a letter placed on a table. I rapidly took the letter and unfolded it.


30th December, 1896


My wife,


A guard dropped a letter while on duty, and I was astounded that It was your letter to me. My love, I cannot ease the pain you are feeling now. Maybe our love was brief, but the time that I had with you is worth a lifetime. I will love you till my last breath. Indeed, in another life, we shall meet and die old together.


your loving husband,

Jose Rizal





February 11, 2021 03:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Colin Devonshire
05:22 Feb 18, 2021

Moving. Tale well told.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alex Gomez-
08:43 Nov 25, 2021

I have read lots and lots of articles on this subject and yours really stands out thank you. https://www.thunderbird-asia.com/rizal_blogs/things-to-do-in-rizal/

Reply

Show 0 replies
05:16 Feb 11, 2021

Indio - Native or Local Ate - Older Sister. Sometimes used as a sign of respect.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.