25 comments

Fiction

In my gorgeous foyer in Beverly Hills, Flatman, a competing realtor, thrusts his well-dressed but tiny 5’5” sized chest out and vents bile in my direction. “You stole my listing, Losh, you piece of shit,” Flatman says, “and I was just about to invite you over for one of my famous grilled cheese sandwiches.” The words are fierce, but his face is not, a tell there will be no price to pay for my quick move with his client. Will he receive an apology from me? And would I like a grilled cheese sandwich? No and no thank you.


 “I guess she just liked me better,” I say with a sardonic smile, “and grilled cheese sandwiches?” I roll my eyes.


Flatman scans the lush greenery of the front garden before looking back, “Mrs Styne is nuts, now you’re going to have to deal with her.” He then stomps off like a 10-year-old schoolboy who has lost a playground argument. Only difference, he gets into a hundred thousand dollar BMW M4. A muscle car for Flatman, of course.


As soon as that little angry package of testosterone is out of the house, I sniff the air, then shout to my housekeeper.


“Maria, open all the windows, we need to air out the entrance,” I wave my arms to push Flatman’s cheap cologne stench toward the door. “Let’s get these alpha male pheromones out of here. pronto.”


The back garden beckons and I return poolside, drop into a lounger and sip the last half of a frozen virgin mimosa. My boyfriend Robby is not allowed to call or text until 11am. Two more hours to relax. I need my beauty rest in L.A. before real estate hours begin.


**


At noon, I haul myself over to Matsuhisa on La Cienaga to buy Sushi for Laura. She will be giving me the low down on my new client, Mrs Styne. Laura is in real estate and has the inside scoop on half the residents of the Hills.


“Morning Losh.” Laura is there before me, early as usual. Aggressive move, she probably grew up in Pasadena.


“You're looking as beautiful as ever,” I say gracefully, and take over our lunch order. Chef's platter for both, then add, “Now, as I’m buying lunch, would you care to fill me in on my new client.”


“Cut right to it?” Laura chuckles. “Ok. Mrs Styne is a bit of an eccentric, just over 70. Been in the hills forever. Her husband was in textiles and passed away 7 years ago. So, your kind of customer.”


“Well Thank You, Laura,” I say, and raise my glass in a toast. She only acknowledges it with a tight smile.


“And..” Laura holds a salacious grin, a knowing look with a pucker in her cheeks and tilt up of her nose. “I found out, she and your dad were an item.”


This is unexpected. I stare her down like I’m Judge Judy.


Laura bursts into a giggling fit, “You might be her son!” she spurts out so loudly a few of the diners at the next table look over


It takes a moment to work out the old school mechanics of baby production.


“Ha ha!! Touché. It doesn’t work that way”


I hold a pregnant pause for five Laura head bobs. She doesn’t back down from Mrs Styne and my father being an item. I’m counting back to what age my parents were when they married. Young. Very young.


**


“What a gorgeous house, Mrs Styne,” I say as I walk into an awful mid-1930s bungalow decorated in wood paneling.


“Thanks, Losh, and what a charming young man you’ve grown up to be. Let me take a look at you,” her eyes scan me from head to toe, pausing mid-torso. I suck it up as if I’m a boy being examined by his grandmother.


Mrs Styne grabs my hand and says, "I'm so happy I got rid of that awful Mr Flatman."


“I've heard bad things about him too," I say, despite us being something close to friends, "You’ve lived in the hills for how long?”


“Yes, dear Losh, for a while now.” Mrs Styne is laughing. I maintain my composure and picture myself tasting an exquisite abalone platter at Maude with Robby tonight.


I try to get things back on track.


“As you know, I’m your new listing agent, and I’d like to go over some details with you.”


“Before we talk real estate, I think I need to tell you about my aphantasia. Having dreams while I’m awake. It makes it hard to get things done.”


“Aphantasia, how interesting!” I put on a fascinated look. Unbeknownst to my client, Aphantasia is a term conjured by Francis Galton in 1880 to describe the inability to see mental visual images. Not daydreaming.


20 minutes later she’s still explaining her daydreams about being an oil painter in Paris, and one about a coyote chasing her cat in the garden, and a few others I’ve already forgotten. At least none of the dreams included my father. Somebody ring the doorbell now, please!


To stop the hideously boring litany of visions, phobias and fantasies, I jump in, “Mrs Styne, one thing I’d like to learn about you and your life, is where did you find so many Georgian period bookshelf owls?” I point toward an antique shelf.


“Oh those? Those are my late husband’s. He was a collector”


“Interesting, so you are single now. I think you are making the right move to a change of living quarters.” 


She smiles. Now is the time.


“And to make that possible, I would like for us to decide the right price to list this house and get you into your dream home,” I say, “Looking at comps in this area, 24.5 million should be doable.”


“But I don’t care about the money,” Mrs Styne replies.


Most people would murder their siblings for half that amount of cash.


She explains, “With my husband’s passing, I've learned all the dollars and numbers, and living in bigger and larger boxes doesn't mean a thing. It's people that matter.”


“You are a deep thinker, Mrs Styne, that’s a great attribute.”


“And now I’d like to talk about you,” she says.


“Me?”


Mrs Styne lifts herself out of her chair, and then comes over and sits next to me on the sofa. Very close.


“I have one condition for this deal,” she says, “that is I get a date with Losh Bag. One which might lead to a magical evening.” Her hand touches my leg.


I snort the Evian I’m sipping, not the slickest move. “You know I’m gay, right?” I say.


She acts as if she doesn’t hear me. “You look just like your father. I’m going to win you over, Losh, I promise.” she winks at me.


I look just like dad? Anything to close a listing. Anything. “Then we have a deal!” 


I think I will invite her to my place for dinner and surprise her with a group of my other slighter senior customers, and then flatter her mercilessly until she recalls fond memories of whatever she did with good old dad.


On the drive back down the hill, I receive a text from Flatman


(flatman) did she jump your bones too?

(flatman) ive got a billionaire buyer from istanbul. this deal mignt be dope. text me back bro.


I put my mobile down and play hard to get, until another text arrives.


(flatman) i’ll throw in a grilled cheese my place tomorrow, 8am.

(me) european cheese?

(flatman) the best brie.

(me) i’ll take that offer.


I even add an emoji. Anything to get a sale.


Behind the steering wheel of my Silver Cloud driving back down to the flats seeing the sunset behind the hills, a revelation arrives. My mom is right, I am good with people. I need to follow the advice of my life coach and start becoming more available. I will let my boyfriend know he can start texting me from 10:30am tomorrow. Before that, I need to call Dad and discuss a few things.


The mobile vibrates again.


(flatman) we pranked u bro. laura owed me one.

(flatman) mrs styne was your dad's babysitter





September 06, 2022 11:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

25 comments

Philip Ebuluofor
11:12 Sep 08, 2022

Fine work Scott. The dialogues were my focal point. They are natural.

Reply

14:36 Sep 08, 2022

Thanks Philip

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
09:11 Sep 09, 2022

Welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:24 Sep 06, 2022

I am digging the total salesman that Losh is. The dialogue here is great, and I'm sure in this line of work - well, probably like any sales - you'll run into all sorts of people. So Old Lady Styne is plausible. That's a hell of a mystery dropped in Losh's lap too. A secret mother? And she's horny as hell too :) Naturally, this is something I'd like to see a resolution to, since it's an interesting hook. If you were to expand this into a bigger piece, that's what I hope makes it in. Mind, I could see it getting too big for 3k, since it seem...

Reply

09:27 Sep 07, 2022

Great perspectives as usual, added a tiny bit of wrapping up at the end;) happy to hear going back to the well of a salesmans voice made for some decent entertainment again.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:59 Sep 07, 2022

Heh, collusion :) It's like a buddy cop comedy, except the cops are realtors.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
17:35 Sep 06, 2022

Scott, I liked this story. It was a solid piece of writing, it is a full-circle story. You cover all your angles. One tiny error I noticed" As soon as he ls out of the house, - is? That's all I got for you Scott. LF6

Reply

20:27 Sep 06, 2022

Thx lily! This one is more my usual genre, happy to hear u enjoyed it.

Reply

Lily Finch
20:47 Sep 06, 2022

Yes, your voice is strong in this one and clear. LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Bryan Thompson
16:35 Sep 06, 2022

I'm new to Reedsy and these story prompts are really helping me to get out of a writer's block funk. I love that you start and end on the grilled cheese sandwich. The only thing I had to go back and reread was the early tension between Losh and Flatman. After reading it again, I think a longer version of this story would likely show that this kind of banter is just how competing Realtors talk to each other, all part of the game. All that to say I'd love to see more developments between them. This was a fun read and I chuckled out loud at...

Reply

20:13 Sep 06, 2022

Thx for reading and thats a good point about showing the two realtors conflict is just their normal give and take. Hope the prompts can give you some ideas for writing as well:)

Reply

Bryan Thompson
14:39 Sep 07, 2022

Thanks for the likes on my Confessional story. Working on the Grilled Cheese one and trying to stay within the word limit. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel Allen
20:42 Sep 13, 2022

Brilliant character work in this. I could see the rivalry between Losh and Flatman making a great sitcom.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mustang Patty
00:43 Sep 12, 2022

Wow Your banter between the salesmen really shines and is the centerpiece of this story. I totally agree with some of the other comments about this being expanded into a longer story - but you made great use of the limits of 3K. Good luck in the contest, ~MP~

Reply

11:46 Sep 12, 2022

You are a very generous commentator and thanks so much for giving constructive suggestions to me and so many other writers.

Reply

Mustang Patty
15:59 Sep 12, 2022

You're welcome and thank YOU for the compliment, ~MP~

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
21:25 Sep 08, 2022

Nice use of salacious. "Old school mechanics of baby production" Losh = Lush? Lol @ Flatman (name) 24M might be a bit high. 12M probably closer. 84k commission Aphantasia. 2 points. "But I don't care about"...can she rub the realtor? "Her hand touches my leg" You know I'm gay... (Have her 70 year old mouth say " i don't believe your gay") Good"pregnant pause for ..." Lost why boyfriend has to wait to text. Good ending.

Reply

09:37 Sep 10, 2022

thanks, yeah probably right about l.a. home prices, will think about amping up the awkward come on at the end lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Craig Westmore
20:37 Sep 08, 2022

Hey Scott, here are my line edits: First paragraph could be stronger. Start with an image of Flatman and then the narrator's reaction: In my gorgeous foyer, Flatman, a competing realtor, has dropped by to vent bile in my direction. I use my infinite powers of patience to remain calm, having lived under my father’s discipline gives me thick skin. Very thick. The next paragraphs are great. You've got some great character description. I particularly liked, -He then stomps off like a 10-year-old schoolboy who has lost a playground argument. ...

Reply

09:35 Sep 10, 2022

Hey Craig, Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been travelling and not writing much, but found time today to fix most of these. "pregnant pause" seem to be a popular line! wish I could make this one funnier but think I'll move onto the next prompt.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
15:51 Sep 08, 2022

Scott, your story telling has really evolved since the Octopus Game series. You've honed your voice as a raconteur and your characterizations and overall narrative style are much more nuanced than they were a few months ago. What's the secret? A belated congrats for your winning cat clone story, and a toast to future triumphs!

Reply

Craig Westmore
19:51 Sep 08, 2022

I agree wholeheartedly with Mike. As I was reading this I was amazed at how you've developed as a writer. You said your secret is to not overthink plot and theme. Good. So your inspiration comes from characters. I sense this too. Valuable lesson to learn you're a character-based writer. I only have line edits on this one. I'll try to get them in a little later today.

Reply

Show 0 replies
16:54 Sep 08, 2022

thx mike! I guess i abandoned my previous style of plot and overthinking heavy themes, and just tried to put myself into a different character and speak through their voice even if not that much really happens and was surprised it seems to work a lot better;) and of course input from you and others writers has helped tremendously.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
12:05 Sep 06, 2022

First draft, any suggestions or comments are highly welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Brenda Liam
00:20 Sep 16, 2022

DO YOU WANT YOUR EX LOVER BACK URGENTLY AFTER BREAKUP/DIVORCE EVEN IF YOUR SITUATION SEEMS HOPELESS! CONTACT DR CHRIST: CALL/WHATSAPP: +2348111123690 OR EMAIL: LIGHTERDAYSENT@GMAIL.COM DR CHRIST IS CERTAINLY THE BEST SPELL CASTER ONLINE AND HIS RESULT IS 100% GUARANTEE. Hello everyone my name is BRENDA LIAM i want to give a testimony to the Gods of DR CHRIST for helping me to get my ex back. After 3 Years in a relationship with my Husband, my Husband started going out with other girls and showing me cold love, on several occasions he th...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.