0 comments

Romance

As soon as they drove away in the car, Visti and AJ knew there was no turning back. After weeks of sneaking around, it was time to follow their hearts, not their fears. They were no stangers to fear.

As soon as they hit the interstate, Visti whispered softly "Do you really think we can get away with this?" AJ was quiet and thoughtful and then said "We've done everything we possibly can to be together. But considering what we are up against, if we pull this off, what a story to tell our grandchildren." He looked at her and smiled. She returned it and realized....she did love him so. Whatever happens would be worth the leaving everything behind.

A few hours later they checked into the cabin they had rented months before in preparation for escape from the terror that had plagued them for over a year. It was lovely and quiet and as they stood gazing at the Blue Ridge mountains, far away from the city they'd come to know and hate. They felt peace wash over them for the first time in over a year.

Their wedding was set for the next day, and the thought of sleep crossed their minds at the same time. After a quiet dinner by candlelight, they had a long, lingering kiss and headed to their separate rooms in the cabin. It had been that way since the first night they met. She insisted on it , and he loved her the more for it.

She remembered it like it was yesterday. He saw her running past Zac's Bistro. He ran for her, and his eyes caught hers. She thought they looked familiar, but she could not remember where she was, much less where she had seen those eyes. But, if there was such a thing as love at first sight. This was it. Spent, she fell into his arms. AJ carried her to his car, and after doctoring her wounds, put her in his own bed. He slept in the guestroom. 

The next morning, she woke up with a glass of water and ibuprofen on the nightstand, and the smell of deliciousness coming out of the kitchen. She took the painkillers and tiptoed to where the smell was coming from. He spotted her immediately and told her to have a seat, as he put the plates down in front of them both.

She had a bite of bacon and a couple of bites of eggs and then there was a knock at the door.

He he opened the door." Hello Mother". He kissed her cold cheek that matched her frigid personality and noticed her hands were black and blue. She ignored his questioning look as she waltzed in the room. He cringed because she noticed there was a table set for two. AJ quickly said that his friend Roy was there for breakfast and had to go out of town business. "Oh", she said you won't mind if I share breakfast with you", as she sat down at the table and took a bite of bacon. Visti was quiet as a mouse.

AJ And Visti started a torrid love affair. Their happiness would not last. All was fine, at first, until THINGS began to happen. When Visti was alone, a malevolent force was VERY present in the house. Holes would appear in the floor, almost causing her a broken ankle or leg. They would disappear just as quickly. She was washing her face, when the mirror in the bathroom shattered, sending shards flying. Had she not had a towel over her face, it would've been devastating. She felt as if she was being watched by the portraits in the home. These things never happened when AJ was home.

AJ knew she was not lying and decided to take her with him wherever he went, so she would not be alone in the home. She enjoyed spending extra time with him and shopping nearby his work, until the unseen foe followed her there, too. Store displays would come crashing down on her. This would happen in the library with the bookshelves. Had she not been quick witted and faster than a frightened deer, she would've been crushed. They both knew she was not safe for her in his home city, and they started planning to flee. Whaever was happening to her was no coincidence.

Visti lay awake in the cabin. She still loved his eyes so sea green you could drown in them. So familiar, but, she could not figure out where she remembered them from. Above all else, she knew he loved her. Visti could not fathom why, but she knew. She would follow him anywhere. They had been playing Hide & Seek for months, because she could not be alone without something very bad happening. She caressed the pistol he had bought her and fell in to a fitful sleep.

She woke up in the cabin the next day not, well rested. Too many dreams. Too many memories and all the sudden,she remembered the eyes. She shot straight up in bed and remembered those eyes belonged to the "client" she had been with and run from on the very night AJ rescued her from that life forever. She let the shock envelope her and then her eyes gazed on the mountains, and she realized it was over. She would not let the past ruin their future.She would not a word to him. They were going to be married and happy forever. Hope sprang up in her, as she sprang out of bed.

She had picked a plain white wedding dress, but to AJ, everything, including the lovely outdoor wedding chapel, looked plain compared to her. They help hand and said their vows and alll seemed well, until the minister asked if anyone had an objection. " I do"  Visti looked as AJ's mother strode up the aisle towatd them. "The eyes have it, my love." AJ turned around and looked at Visti in confusion.


"Do you think I would let you marry a harlot? I should've finished her off before she met you!!!!" His mother stopped in her tracks, realizing her mistake. Then AJ knew. She had done this to Visti. His very own "loving" mother. If he had known that it was his mother that had beaten and bloodied Visti in the first place, he would've returned the favor.

Visti and AJ's mother both looked at him in astonishment as he threw back his head and started giggling like a school boy. "My mother was a john (still giggling) a trick?" He doubled over at the thought of it, enraging his mother even more.

Visti pulled out her pistol, and before the minister could voice his own objection, she emptied the chambers, making sure each shot would hurt worst than the last. AJ crossed his arms and watched while his soon to be bride did what she had dreamed since her first client had beaten or belittled her. She could remember every face, including AJ's mother, and nothing could've felt better. Her wedding dress was covered in blood as they said I do to one another.

Before running away like a bat out of hell, the minister whispered, "I don't think she's dead." They were oblivious to everything but each other and did not hear him. They stepped over his mother (he was still giggling) and sped away to a life of peace, with Visti in one piece. And they did live....happily ever after.....


Epilogue: Or did they?

January 15, 2020 04:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.