0 comments

Mystery

Driving past a familiar sign that read Welcome to Hill Brook, Jennifer felt relief, almost like she was coming home for good. She pulled up outside the house she'd spent her childhood in. Her mother came to hug her. Jennifer had always reminded Angela of her husband George Wilkins; tall and skinny, with hazel eyes and very curly black hair. "Come inside, I just put the kettle on."

There was something important Jennifer needed to tell her mother, something she'd heard only this morning. About her eldest son Daniel. But as she walked into the house, there sat her brother. He was in what he considered 'his chair' at the kitchen table, eating a muffin. He smiled at his sister. "Hey. Long time, no see." Jennifer was very confused. She couldn't stop staring. Angela did not seem to notice a thing and she was in a great mood, so obviously as promised, nobody else had contacted her.

While she was putting her clothes away, she suddenly had the feeling she was being watched. She spun around. Daniel stood there. "Please don't freak out. I only have a little time. It is Mum's birthday after all." "What is going on?" Jennifer lowered her voice. "I was told you were dead. The police confirmed it at the scene." "Well,that part is true, but I have a little unfinished business that must be taken care of before I move on. " In front of her eyes, he faded, just like smoke. Angela asked no questions. Daniel had often come and gone as he pleased. He would be back later.

###

Jennifer helped her mother cook the massive amount of food needed to feed their friends and relatives who had been invited to dinner. Aunt Carrie brought a huge chocolate cake. Guests began to arrive. Daniel and his girlfriend Stephanie walked through the door. Something about her as well, had Jennifer on edge. Were they both dead? How come Angela still had no idea?

While people were filling up their plates and talking, Jennifer went to stand next to Daniel. "Relax little sister, all will be revealed in a few minutes or so." There was applause as Angela stood up to make a short speech. "Thank you so much for being here. I am especially glad to have my kids with me. They're so busy these days. " The phone ringing,seemingly out of nowhere, made a few of the guests jump.

Daniel nodded to Jennifer,who was now across the other side of the lounge room, listening to Grandma Sophie as she delved into her memories of Angela when she was a child. The lady herself came back into the room, complete disbelief on her face. "That was a Sheriff Carter from the Maine Stone Falls Police Department. He says my son and his girlfriend were in a fatal car accident. I told him he must be mistaken, they're right here with me. I just hung up."

A coldness seemed to sweep throughout the entire house. One of Jennifer and Daniel's cousins suddenly blurted out "I can see straight through them." Daniel stared at his most precious people. "It had to happen." Stephanie took a deep unnecessary breath and began to tell their story...

Friday night. Daniel and Stephanie had planned to meet friends at a hot new club, Emerald Fires. They had a lot of fun dancing the night away. Neither was in any fit state to drive,yet nobody stopped them as Daniel got behind the wheel. They were less than ten minutes from Stephanie's place...

Daniel continued. "I don't really remember the crash,just thought it was really weird that I couldn't feel anything at all. Once Stephanie had joined me, we were met by Death. He explained what had happened to us and where we would go from there. So we returned to the world as, for lack of a better term, ghosts."

A bright shining light appeared, surrounding a large staircase. Angela ran into her son's arms. "But you're so solid and real. You ate and drank. How can you be dead?" "I am concentrating on the essence my spirit is made of. Our bodies wait for confirmation and burial. We've already seen Stephanie's parents and sisters. Death granted us enough time to sort stuff out, anything that would have kept us from leaving this earth."

"Which has now come to an end. " A hooded figure stood in the light and beckoned to the two of them. His deep voice affected everyone present. The glowing red eyes dimmed slightly. "There's a lot of love in this home. We are done here,right? I've got a schedule to keep." Daniel and Stephanie hugged as many people as they could,saving Jennifer and Angela for last. Their mother wiped her tears with the back of her sleeve. "Parents are not supposed to bury their children." Although it made her shiver, Death laid a sympathetic hand on her shoulder. "They will be alright. I don't make the rules, I merely follow them."

Julie,the young cousin, actually found the courage to ask him a question. "Are you the original Angel of Death?" "Oh no,she's long gone. My term of five hundred years however,will soon be up. I then choose another soul,male or female, to inherit the gift and I get to climb those stairs, like these lovebirds are about to do." As Death spoke, the staircase became even clearer. Daniel took one final look. "I guess this really is goodbye. I love you all."

###

Angela met Death for the second time. She was nearing eighty and in hospital. He very kindly stayed by her side,talking to her until she stopped breathing. He guided her spirit towards the light, where her son waited to welcome her into Heaven. Death meanwhile, had a long list of souls to visit and as it was, he was running a bit late. He clicked his fingers and vanished, secure in the knowledge that any day now he would at last be allowed inside the pearly gates.

THE END

July 26, 2020 02:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.