0 comments

Holiday

Ellie Holland was thinking about Maxwell again, and on New Years Eve, of all days. Maxwell was her little brother, and they had been in a big fight. Ellie hoped to one day rekindle their relationship. Ellie walked over to the window and reflected on her dense surroundings. She had always loved the quiet forest with its huge pine trees and little ponds to discover each brisk stroll. It was a place that encouraged her tendency to feel calm. Then, she saw something in the distance, or rather someone. It was the kind figure of Maxwell Dias. Ellie gulped. She glanced at her own reflection. She was a patient, quiet, conservationist with brown eyes and black hair. Her friends saw her as a kind angel. Once, she had even helped a careful injured wolf pup escape from a bear trap. The moon shone on the black wolves, making Ellie happy. She grabbed a tiny photo of the two that had been strewn nearby; she massaged it with her fingers. As Ellie stepped outside and Maxwell came closer, she could see the unrealistic smile on his face. Maxwell gazed with the affection of a thousand blue-eyed badgers. He said, in a hushed tone, "I love you, sis, and I want a hug." Ellie looked back, even more happy and still fingering the tiny photo of the two. "Maxwell, I love you, little bro," she replied. They looked at each other, remembering the awkward New Years Party where this whole thing had started, which had jazz music playing in the background, and Ellie looked to the side. She regarded Maxwell's love for her as they grew up. "I feel the same way." She whispered with a grin. Maxwell looked happy, his face lit up  like a flower. Then Maxwell came inside for a nice drink of purified pond water. He crossed his legs, “I’ve missed you. I don’t even know what that fight was about.” Ellie looked down. “It was our… resolutions. That was last year… exactly.” Maxwell nodded and sipped his water. “Ah, yeah! And I remember yours was to start a life in the forest. You surely accomplished that. This place is nice!” They chuckled. “And yours was to quit smoking. Hey, did you ever do that?” Maxwell looked down, self-conscious. “I’m a little sensitive about that… But I did it. Two months ago, I threw out all my cigarettes.” Ellie’s eyes widened in pride. “Congrats! Oh, sorry for making a joke…” Maxwell chuckled. “Yeah. It was funny, though.” Ellie glanced at the moon. “Hey, it’s almost midnight!” They both got up, held hands, and shouted, “HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!”

(this stuff down here is just to get me to 1k words so I can actually post this thing)

Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! 

December 24, 2021 18:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.