The Day That Never Existed

Submitted into Contest #138 in response to: Set your story on a day when the sun never sets.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Romance Drama

     Mr. Light woke up at 8 in his hotel room 411 as always. He immediately got up, gently washed his face, combed his hair and got dressed. He was feeling enthusiastic to see his fiance. He was such a romantic lover that the women who saw the way he looked at his fiance would wish that he was their lover. He was skipping down the stairs before he got a small cup of coffee to finish at once to be able to leave for his romantic date as early as possible. Before leaving the hotel, he checked up on his room key which was a bit unusual compared to other hotel room keys with a distinctive design and size. The receptionist had told Mr. Light that this strange key was only opening room 411 and not similar to any other key in the whole world. It was in his pocket right beside the two tickets he had bought for a train trip to the realm of Aurora lights.

      The Sun was rising higher as he was anxiously walking towards the small shop where his fiance was working. It was a small shop where they were selling colorful scarves. When Mr. Light approached the doorstep of the shop, he saw his beloved fiance’s face looking bright under the naive sunbeam. She was holding her handkerchief as always not to disturb the customers with her bad coughs. When Mr. Light entered the shop, the sunbeam disappeared and he realized that his fiance was looking paler than ever. He rushed to her and looked at her face with a beautiful smile. “My dear, have you packed up?”

    After throwing a quick look to her boss, his fiance looked at him and said, “No, I can’t leave here. I told you before.” Mr. Light had a deep breath looking at his toes. Then, he immediately grasped her hand and gently dragged her outside the shop shouting at her boss quirkily, “Sorry, Mrs. Soil, she needs to have some fresh air!” He was acting like a little, naughty boy with too much enthusiasm!

    They left the shop and Mr. Light started to run, pulling her as well towards the train station while smiling. Yet, somehow he was feeling that his fiance was slowing him down as if time was getting slower with each of their steps. Mr. Light stopped and turned back to her at the big gate of the train station. She looked him in the eyes and said, “Leave me here, please.” Mr. Light held both of her hands this time and responded with a big smile, “You will be shocked when you figure out where we are going.” They got on the train and headed to the beautiful realm. 

     Mr. Light’s eyes were wandering around his beloved fiance’s face as if they were trying to memorize every detail and compensate for the times they hadn’t looked at her enough. She was looking out of the window while whispering some words. Mr. Light leaned towards her to be able to hear and she looked at his face stoic. Her eyes were telling him that she accepted reality and he was supposed to do the same. Mr. Light was sure of what he interpreted from those eyes which indeed was a disappointment for him. He leaned back on his seat and turned his head to the Sun shining right at the top of them. 

     He said, “Do you remember the day we first met?”

     His fiance’s eyes were blunt while responding in a very cold voice, “Of course I do.”

    Mr. Light continued, “You told me that you would wish the sunny days never ended. Right now, we are going to the place where the Sun never sets.” 

     She slowly rolled her eyes to him; and suddenly she was out of breath and started to cough. This time, she didn’t put her handkerchief to cover her mouth. She raised her head up like a warrior who accepted the wounds that she had got. She was not ashamed of the coughs or the others’ strange looks turning to her. She was only looking into Mr. Light’s eyes and whispered, “I would love to see the Sun that never leaves us.”  

     The train stopped and a few people who preferred to travel to this colorful lights’ realm with the last train of the day were now leaving. Mr. Light offered to carry his fiance on his back and they headed to the greenest garden under the shining Sun. His steps were getting heavier and heavier and as if all the nature, the moving leaves, the singing birds were sparing their vitality from them. The voices were fading and they were the only ones walking to that park now. Mr. Light was not tired; yet, he was excited to sit on the grass, create beautiful art with flowers for his fiance. They found a spot where they could have some sunshine but not sweat at all. Mr. Light was laying her down gently to the ground, then sat right next to her. It was obvious from the ways his lips were moving that he was about to say something but then he decided not to. Instead, he pulled out the strange hotel room key out of his pocket showing it to her. “You know what day it is?”

   She looked at the key, not impressed at all and responded, “This is the last day of my life.” 

   Mr. Light immediately interfered, “No, it is not! This key brought you back to me again and again; and I will use it as long as I need to so that I can see your face one more time.”

   His fiance didn’t respond. He continued, “We came here because this day will never end here. The Sun will never set and we will have forever.”   

   She took the key and put it on the green grass as if she wanted to make him stop talking. She was exhausted but happy at the same time since she knew that this time was the last time. 

   Mr. Light rushed to pick up flowers as he always did for his fiance, and she was content to receive such beautiful flowers as always. Then, they laid on the ground to look at the Sun while talking about the funny memories. The Sun was so gentle on them as it was slowly going down. For a moment, they stopped giggling and she turned to Mr. Light with a beautiful smile, “I am happy that you brought me here.” 

   Mr. Light touched her cheeks and kissed her slowly. It was a moment out of time or place. They both felt that it was their souls touching each other. He couldn’t hold his tears back. She gently hugged him and whispered to his ear, “I am happy that you will leave me at last. It is time for me. I will be alright.” Mr. Light started crying louder and she let him cry as long as he wished. Even though his teary eyes wandered around the green grass to find the hotel room key, he already knew it would mean nothing since it was useless outside room 411 to travel back in time. 

    His fiance was smiling at him while laying on the ground. She was ready to accept the peace that she had been longing for. 

March 23, 2022 19:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.