0 comments

Romance

Kids, Money, Relationships

By: Suzie Park


The girl rubbed her eyes as the sun shone onto her through the open window. The day was a beautiful one; if a little boy hadn’t woken her up with a cry. He was usually an early bird; woke up before dawn, cried in his bed, being the loudest alarm clock in the world. He had been given (like any other morning) more milk and he had fallen right asleep.

Stephanie hurried upstairs quietly and washed the stash of dishes that were left from yesterday with the water from the lake where they got their water from. She had been unable to pay water bills so she had to move to a small home away from the city where they had five floors; ground, lower floor, second floor, and basement; bought from a generous lady that wanted to go live in the city. The old lady happily traded her home with Ashlyn’s since it had been a luxurious house that was too much for the fifteen year old and her lot. This house was an old, but amazingly great home. Most of the house was built under the ground. The antique was made of peach and tan clothing with sewn on laces. Satin curtains and colorful lamps decorated the area and a crackling fire in the fireplace which was the only source of heat in the cold basement. Unfortunately, there was no electricity other than the solar panels attached to the roof which made enough energy to have most of the lights on and the windows that let the sunlight in. There was no water except the lake nearby that surprisingly had a filtering system that allowed them to have clean water. The sink and faucets worked, but the old washing machine did not.

Stephanie took up the finished workload and walked back into the house. She cleaned up the living room and looked up at the wall the kids had decorated with pictures of themselves.

Hudson Williams; ten years old, oldest of the lot.

Kate Williams; nine years old, cheerful and funny.

Leroy Williams; nine years old, the brightest of all.

Wendy Wlliams; eight a half years old, curious.

Genevieve Williams; eight years old, understanding.

John Williams; seven years old, shy and determined.

Aiden Williams; six years old, very lovable.

Scarlet Williams; five years old, cute and outgoing.

Oliver Williams; two years old, youngest, very loud.

Stephanie chuckled on the last one. The kids all called themselves the William’s because that was her last name.

All these kids are orphans, and taken in by her. Stephanie was just a temporary orphanage for them until they could take care of themselves. She was left alone by herself on the road one day and got a place in the city. She was too young to get a job so she took care of these kids she found. They sometimes call her mom by accident or they’re too young to understand that she’s not their real mother. Stephanie did have an older brother, Mathew, who worked in the city, but was too busy to ever visit. He would constantly send money to them and always looks out for any family who wants to adopt a child. A kid named Madelyn, was adopted and sent off; a kid named Zeke was also given away; the twins, Evie and Hendrix, were old enough to get accepted in another household.

Stephanie stood up and walked into the kitchen. She could already hear the rumbling of the stairs as the kids ran upstairs

“Hi Stephanie!”

“Good Morning Steph.”

“Hello Stephanie.”

“Morning.”

“Hey Steph!”

“Hi.”

“Good morning to all of you. Now, sit down at the table and let's eat.”

They didn’t really have that good of a breakfast you would expect. I was very simple; scrambled eggs and oatmeal. Soon after they finished breakfast, the dreaded crying started again. Stephanie took Oliver upstairs and fed him some of the leftover oatmeal. Then, she hoarded everybody to their bedrooms downstairs. The first underground floor had many many beds, some single and some stacked on top of each other. Some of them were empty, but the rest were topped off with flowers, stuffed animals, and other decor. The kids brushed their teeth and went downstairs another time except without Hudson and Kate.

“Do you remember what I told you?” She said handing him the money.

“Yes, butter, oil, bread, eggs, flour, sugar, chicken, some fruits of my choice and a bag of candy for the younger kids.”

“Exactly.” Stephanie said proudly. “Now off you go.” Hudson nodded and walked out the door.

“Kate, you are remembering to tend the garden, right?”

“Yes mo-” she clasped her hand over her mouth.

“I’m sorry, I did it again-”

“No worries dear. Run along.” Kate nodded and scrambled out of the room. Ashlyn chuckled and went downstairs. The kids were sitting in a circle, waiting for her to come.

“Stephanie!” Scarlet yelled.

“Now, settle down. We have to have a morning game, do we?”

“Yes!” yelled all of them.

“Well then, let’s start. We’ll be using the ABCs. We go around in a circle and say a letter, and then say a word starting with that letter. Let me start. Apple starts with A.”

“Aiden starts with A!” Aiden said, gasping. They all laughed.

“Bread starts with B.”

“Cake starts with C.”

“Dog starts with D.”

“Elephant starts with E”

“Oliver, what starts with F?”

“Fae-e-er!”

“Fire, very good.”

The game went on until the doorbell rang. They all stood up and ran to the first floor.

“Hudson!”

“Hey big bro!”

“What did you bring?”

“Don’t push me!”

“Now now, calm down. He just came back. Wash your hands while I organize the food, Hudson.” He nodded and strutted to the bathroom with his little ‘siblings’ following him.

Stephanie took out all the groceries and handed out the donut peaches Hudson had ought to buy ever since they lived here. Saving up money for the expensive peaches was hard, especially when they had ten mouths to feed.

“Everyone go up to the sink and wash your peaches there. Oh Hudson, you’re back. Take this and go take this lot to the sink to wash them. Wash them clean too!” After waving the kids away, Stephanie began vigorously rubbing a stain off of Wendy’s skirt. Hudson stared at her with a worried look.

“Um, Steph?”

“Yes?”

“Look at the pile of money I have leftover.” She twisted her neck and looked at the money. The amount had not shrunk at all.

“When I was at the store, I saw a man, well not that old, that looked really rich.” She stiffened.

“Yes, and?”

“He asked me my name.”

“What did you answer?” he looked at her blankly.

“I didn’t. I stayed quiet and pretended to pick out the plumpest donut peach I could find.” Stephanie briefly smiled.

“That was a good choice to do.” She drank a cup of water.

“Yeah. And when I didn’t answer, he held out his hand and said his name was Hunter. Hunter Knowles." Stephanie gagged and spat out her drink.

“You're joking, right?”

“No. I shook his hand but still didn't say anything. He seemed really eager to get something out of me so he asked me my last name. I quietly told him it was Williams. He was really surprised. Then, he offered to pay for whatever I was buying. I thanked him and got as many donut peaches I wanted…” His voice faded away at the serious look on her face.

“Thank you Hudson… You may leave.” He nodded and quietly walked out of the room. Stephanie clenched her teeth and banged her hands on the countertop.

Hunter… You have finally found me. I have not forgotten what you have done to me yet. Not yet…


* * *


“Stephanie, can I play outside?”

“No Leroy.”

“But-”

“A no is a no.” She felt a prickle of guilt as the boy trudged to the playroom.

I can’t let them go outside; not after what Hudson did.

It was a month since Stephanie had stopped the kids from going outside. It was a risky chance since Hunter had found out that she had these kids.

Hunter…

She spat on the ground.

That was a name that she despised, and onced loved too.

Hunter was her old friend, or perhaps a little more than that. Stephanie loved him and perhaps he loved her too. But it all went wrong when her brother thought that she was with him for his money. He told her to keep it up and he wanted her to marry Hunter then divorce him to get half of his possessions. Stephanie fought with him, but eventually agreed. Her mom and dad did not like her. They loved Mathew, but he loved her. But, like my parents, he saw money over her. But Stephanie didn’t want to lose Mathew too.

A few days later, Stephanie saw Hunter, cheating on her with a girl named Serena. The conversation between them might have slipped. 

Stephanie ran back to Mathew crying. Then, She became depressed and never talked to anyone except Mathew. Now realizing how sad she was, he left her some money with a message;

I’m sorry about what happened between you and Hunter. It’s all my fault. There is a old lady named Ms. Ernesto that is willing to switch out homes with you. It’s a big house that is far away from the city so you can stay away from him. I’ll be sending money once a week. Take care.


Stephanie had cried over the last few sentences. She was walking out of the house when she saw an orphanage being taken down. The kids were huddled up in the corner, one holding a one and a half year old baby. She thought about it; she was going to live in this huge house with no company except the mail Mathew sent money in. Stephanie took the kids with her and began her new life in the new house.

“Stephanie?”

“Yes John?”

“Well, if you forgot, I’ll tell you again but it's my birthday today.”

“Oh! Yes, of course. I’ll make you a cake this afternoon-”

“There’s no milk left.”

“Hm?”

“We ran out of milk.”

“Uh yes, we did. And?”

“You need milk for the cake!” Stephanie flinched.

“Yes, of course we do. I’ll, um, I’ll go myself today. Hudson!” the angel eyed boy walked up to her. Sometimes, Stephanie really realized that Hudson looked a lot like her. Fluffy, blonde hair with snow white skin. Exceptionally red lips; no one would doubt her if she called him son.

“Yes?”

“I’m going to the store by myself today. Can you take care of the other kids?”

“Of course mo-” he paused.

“You can call me whatever you want, Hudson. And thanks for agreeing to take care of them. I nearly am losing my mind.” Stephanie picked up her little pouch of money and walked outside.

At once she realized how poorly she had appreciated Hudson by the distance she had to walk just to get some milk. She walked into the store and picked out a jug of milk. While she was calculating the money just to check if she had enough money for an extra present, a deep voice sounded from behind.

“Hi Stephanie.” She whipped around and saw Hunter, looking tired as ever. He looked like he hadn’t slept for weeks.

Hunter was taller than before. He had a pale face and copper hair. Without the dark circles, he was the same as before.

“Why are you here?” Without waiting for an answer, she moved to the toy aisle. Stephanie quickly stuffed a toy car into her bag and tried to escape, but Hunter blocked the way.

“What do you want, Hunter?” She said in a slow, scared tone.

“I want to get back together.” Stephanie jumped back in surprise, then lowered her gaze.

“This is not the place to talk about this matter.”

“Then come with me to my house.”

“I can't, the kids... "

“The kids... whose are they?” he asked quietly.

“What do you mean by ‘whose are they?' Look, I'm busy right now. I have to get back to the house before dinner. It's someone's birthday. We'll meet again here tomorrow. See you then.” Then, she briskly sat the toy car and the jug of milk on the table, paid for it, and walked outside for another thirty minute walk.


* * *


“I’m sorry John, but I only have this new toy car-” Stephanie was about to give it to him when he already snatched it out of her hand, admiring it.

“Thanks Stephanie!”

“No problem. Let's dig in!” They all started eating the cake which was freshly made by Stephanie. The sun had already set and the room was dark. 

They had already lit the candle and sang Happy Birthday to John. Now, Stephanie let them finish their cake and hoarded them into the bathroom to brush their teeth. The bathroom was also big since there are a lot of kids that couldn't wait and how to brush your teeth at the same time. After they had brushed their teeth, Stephanie sent them to bed. when they were all tucked in, Stephanie called out their names one by one.

“Hudson?”

“Goodnight.”

“Kate?”

“G’night.”

“Leroy?”

“Goodnight.”

“Wendy?”

“Goodnight.”

“Genna?”

“See you tomorrow.”

“John?”

“Love you mommy.” she laughed.

“Scarlet?”

“Good-na-eat.”

“Oliver?” he giggled in delight. They all laughed. Stephanie turned off the lights and they all soon fell asleep.


The next morning was not too bright as the last.

It was raining - in fact pouring.

How am I supposed to go meet Hunter when I don't even have an umbrella?

Just then, a car pulled up from outside and a man came out with his hood over his head. He knocked on the door. Stephanie hurried to the door and opened it.

“Stephanie.”

“Come in.” She led him to the couch.

“So you came.”

“Of course I did.”

“How did you know where I lived?”

“I ordered someone to follow you home.” Stephanie eyes him suspiciously until Hudson walked up to me.

“Stephanie?”

“Yes?”

“Can we have some snacks?”

“Yes, of course dear. What do you want?”

“The cookies in the pantry. Everyone is hungry downstairs.”

“Tell them it's dinner soon so they're only allowed to eat one for now.”

“What about Aiden, Scarlet and Oliver?”

“Oliver can have the baby crackers on the table. Kate, Leroy, Wendy, Genevieve, and John can all have one each. Break a cookie in half and give them to Aiden and Scarlet.” She saw Hunter’s eyes dilate for a second.

“Okay.” Hudson blinked and skipped away.

“How many kids do you have?”

“Nine. You lost count?” There was silence.

“Who’s kid is that?” Hunter asked quietly.

“Mine of course.”

“And who else?”

“What do you mean?”

“You know what I mean, Stephanie.” She let out a breath of exasperation.

“You think too fast, you know that right?”

“Hm?”

“These are my kids, yes, but I am not their mother.”

“What do you mean?”

“They are orphans, Hunter. I take care of them as if I really was their mother, but I work as an orphanage for now.” Stephanie chuckled.

“I guess you would have thought that by looking at Hudson. Weird, he looks a lot like me.” Another silence. Hudson broke it with such a sudden outburst that Stephanie jumped in her chair.

“Why, Stephanie why! Why did you go out with someone else?” Stephanie looked confused.

“What do you mean? You were the one who cheated on me!”

“I know you’re lying, Stephanie! I know more than you do think! Serena told me you were holding hands with that bastard called Mathew.” The sudden realization hit her so strongly that she had caused her to laugh. Laugh and laugh and laugh.

“I’m serious right now, Stephanie!”

“That’s the funniest part!” She calmed down and soon looked at him with a straight face again.

“You are a jealous fool Hunter.”

“Hey-”

“Listen to me, will you?” he opened his mouth, but then closed it again. Stephanie sighed and began.

“Hunter, Mathew is my brother. He loves me dearly, but he does not want to be my boyfriend, obviously. When we were together, he wanted me to marry you then divorce you so that we could get half of your money. I obviously didn’t want to do that so I fought with him. I was hated by my parents- I didn’t want to be hated by my brother either. I agreed for now. A day right after that, I found you with that jerk and cried all the way back home. Mathew understood my feelings finally and sent me away to live here. I could finally live a quiet life- well, not so quiet, but a life away from you.” When she finished, Hunter was rubbing his chin.

“Have anything to say?”

“Yes, infact, a lot.”

“Then start; my ears are open.”

“I loved you, Stephanie, I really did. But then I saw your brother. I saw you two together having a great time. I didn’t know who he was so I thought you were going out with him. I got this from Serena.” Stephanie forced back the urge to spit on the ground or throw up.

“She told me that you were cheating on me and she’d loved to start a new life with me. Of course, I gave up on you. If I had just known…”

“It’s not your fault. I have these kids to take care of now.”

“I’ll help.”

“How?”

“I’ll marry you.” she froze.

“Marry me?”

“Yes.”

“I think you’ve forgotten, I’m fifteen!”

“But we can promise.” He held out his hand where a thin, silver engagement ring sat on it.

“Please, Stephanie. I’ll help the kids.” That hit her hard. Slowly, Stephanie slipped the ring through her finger.

“You promise?” He smiled.

“Promise.”

September 29, 2020 03:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.