1 comment

Drama

Despite the bright sun and the cloudless day coming in through the two-story high windows, cold sweat trickled quickly as they heard said “Lord, my King, you know my loyalty. I have never stopped loving King and Kingdom. All I do brings honor and glory to my Lord. Your Majesty, I must take my leave.”

As soon as the words came out, the lower stomach ached and butterflies raced up inside.

What if they found out? Similar phrases rattled about silently. Surely small expressions betrayed the doubt.

The heavy outer doors shut hard just after tiny feet slipped through behind.

“President, you look pale. Did breakfast not agree with you?” came from the same direction of the tiny feet.

I’m fine, I’m fine, nothing could be better. Smile. Smile. 

“I hope his highness didn’t think so. I just need a drink.”

“What is my agenda?”

“Meetings ‘till late lunch. First, an acquisition. Second, your tax preparer.” A breath.

“After lunch, you’re busy ‘till sundown in the grand library talking to new potential deals, president.”

“Should I arrange anything for lunch and dinner?”

I don’t have time to think about that. I need to acquire many more companies during this season. You think about it.

“Um, whatever you think. Let’s fit a look at the coming weeks between conversations.”

What was it like before all of this busyness?

I met His Majesty, the King on a trip through the dry West Lands. The King blew in like a cool moist front bringing refreshing and joy. Ever since then, for times I wouldn’t see the King, but other times I felt closer than anyone should be allowed to be...

“President, ... something bothering you?” came from the small feet behind...

“No, sorry, my thoughts ran away. Do you remember the first time you met His Highness, Mitchell?”

Then Mitchell burst in sound from behind as the pace slowed to the grand library.

“Hmmm... Hmmmm.... Why yes! I don’t know about you, but mundane things seemed fun again. Sounds I never paid attention to rang in harmonies I’d never heard. Color seemed to explode even out of the shadows.” Stuttering, Mitchell almost missed my turn as I rounded a right hand turn in the large tiled corridor which ran straight from the throne room we left what seemed like hours ago. His feet slid around the corner coming back from the distraction.

“Uh... uh.... Uh... Why do you ask all of the sudden President? If you don’t mind me asking.”

He he he he.... I thought I’d get to see or hear at least the sound of Mitchell sliding into the suits of armor that lined the intersection of that last turn... He he he.... Timed that one right. A laugh almost escaped out loud as the answer came.

“He... His Majesty just asked me at the end of my time with Him today something that seemed to question my loyalty. It made me remember simpler times.”

Was it loyalty? Maybe I misunderstood. Surely His Majesty knew everything I did. I mean I devout to honor my relationship after all His Majesty has done for me.

Now it was my turn to miss the clues and I just about ran over the little ones scampering through this much more narrow hall in the other direction obviously headed to spend time where I had just been.

What I’d give to go back to that innocence!

“Oops! I’m so sorry.”

Mitchell’s muted giggles behind me could just be heard above the kids feed and giggles and the sounds of songbirds in the cool shade breeze playing with the wispy lace curtains covering the tall windows along the outer wall just above reading alcoves. The alcoves under the windows hinted that the grand library was just ahead.

“Are there any meetings this week I can move to arrange a full day with His Majesty?” went over my shoulder as I weaved between kids and teachers and library patrons needling through much traffic at the entrance.

“President, you’ve worked so hard over the years to fill your time and accomplish much. These meetings touch the pinnacle of the height of your accomplishments. Your time with these meetings must mean so much.”

Right, that’s right. I deserve the honor of the fruits of my hard work in service to get here. I stopped in my tracks, the cold sweat came back. 

How could it come to this, a tough question?

“My first meeting today?” I blurted as I realized my mistake.

“My president, your first meeting was the throne room.”

Fighting the desire to revel in power, “I... I’m sorry. You’re right. Whom am I meeting next?”

The answer came, but my thoughts drifted back to the glory of the throne room. I could still hear the sounds of singing as if choirs of angels smoothed all of the roughness of the world. It still stuns me to remember the bright warm colors that filled the place. I could hear Mitchell’s answer like a stew bubbling on the stove all day. But, my mind could not leave where I knew I’d rather be. Surely I came here to the grand library to accomplish my duty, however something wafted cold wet wind as if it was only down the small of my neck passed the shirtline and down the trough of my spine and made hair stand on end.

Am I focused on the most important? Does all of this success really matter? What will it mean in a thousand years?

“A thousand years...” slipped out as I drifted back to the sound of Mitchell’s voice interrupting him.

Startled, Mitchell stammered, “I don’t understand my president. A... A thousand years?”

I change my mind. “I’m... I’m sorry. I need to cancel the rest of my meetings from the soonest I can get more time in the throne room.” It sounded crazy the minute I said it. It startled even me.

Suddenly, the library, Mitchell, the hustle and bustle, the business was gone.

“You’re awake?” someone asked.

Oh, no! Take me back there. I can fix it. Not here. Please.

November 28, 2020 00:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Eric Standlee
20:50 Dec 11, 2020

I'm not a professional author. I saw the prompt and I sat down and wrote over a thousand words. I didn't have an editor and I realized there's things that need to be fixed. I just hope that people will read it with that understanding.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.