2 comments

Gay Romance

The cherry blossoms floated gently down to kiss the water in a romantic dance of wind and sun. The Spring Festival was in full swing, and the town was packed with tourists and locals alike, drinking in the pink laden winds and the sun-kissed streets worn with years of foot traffic. The night was just as lively, as spring break was nearing its end. Students, adults, and others wished a time like this, full of reckless abandon and releasing of inhibition would last forever. 

Tonight, however, was quiet, silent. The night was falling rapidly, and the 8 o’clock moon was peeking over the horizon. Tourists were in their beds or in the corners of bars, preparing for the final festivities of the next day. Those who weren’t in those places were enjoying a final dinner at Magpie’s Waterfront Restaurant. Among those was a group of 5 seated at an outside table,  2 females and three males in their twenties. Kyra, a sweet and motherly girl with soft brown hair that fell in short fluffy chunks around her wide, innocent eyes. Lena, a gorgeous redhead with dark eyes, gesturing dramatically to punctuate some wild point. Will, her younger brother with a wild spirit, wild eyes, and wild hair, doing the same as his sister but from an opposing side. Dorian, a blonde man with an air of elegance, who sat protectively beside his boyfriend, as if daring anyone to approach them. And lastly, Adam, a raven haired young man who looked affectionately at his group of friends as they conversed happily. Occasionally, he would look over to Dorian, happy to be enjoying this getaway with the love of his life. Tonight was their last night along with dozens of others escaping the mundane for this quaint festival, and they finally got a table overlooking the water. The food had been spectacular and the experience even more so. They’d dined in a setting directly out of a movie, enjoying champagne and watching the lights dance on the river and petals floated around them. It was undeniably and indelibly picturesque, and they collectively doubted they’d forget it anytime soon.

The group in question had just finished dinner, which Dorian had spent uncharacteristically quiet for the usually suave, talkative man he was. He’d avoided eye contact with Adam and had spent moments where he thought Adam wasn’t paying attention sending him worried, panicked glances. Although he’d tried to think nothing of it. Adam’s mind kept racing; was it possible that his worst fears were about to be realized? He didn’t want to believe it to be true, but he couldn’t help but worry if separation was on the horizon. Were these past 4 years for nothing? Shaking his head, as if clearing it of the thoughts, Adam rested his hand on Dorian’s. He tried to be reassuring, but he couldn’t tell if he was convincing himself or his partner.

“Hey, are you okay?” He asked quietly. Dorian looked over and his green eyes were almost worried, “Are you feeling alright?” he reached up and pressed the inside of his wrist to Dorian’s forehead, “you’re not running a fever, Do you need a breath of fresh air?” he asked, now acting out of character himself. Usually Dorian was the one to dote on him, but things were already so different tonight, why did it matter? It was too beautiful to waste on worries.

“Yes, that would actually be really nice,” Dorian said after a pause. He removed his wallet and pulled out a fifty dollar bill, placing it on the table. Will, Lena and Kyra looked over at him and Adam was sure Kyra mouthed “good luck” to him. Without a goodbye, Dorian swept him from the restaurant, pulling him out towards the docks. They were staying at a small, waterfront town just south of D.C. that Adam couldn’t remember the name of. It was cute, though, with absolutely idyllic houses, shops and of course, the pier. It was spring, bordering on summer, and everything was in bloom as they walked along the marina in the setting sun. Dorian hadn’t relaxed at all, in fact he seemed to be more on edge than before.

“Is everything okay?” Adam asked as they came to stand inside a small white gazebo, orangish red light painting their skins with fiery sunbeams. Dorian sighed and looked away, hands gripping the rail tightly. Finally, after a long, heavy pause, he stepped back and turned his back to Adam. He paced for a moment, then came to stand beside his boyfriend, looking out determinedly towards the water. Adam’s brown eyes narrowed in confusion and then it hit him. Like a wave, his anxiety washed over him as the millions of negative possibilities filled his head.

Could it be? Was the end really this close? Why tonight, when everything was so perfect it had felt almost heartbreaking? Adam’s heart began to pick up it’s pace as if it were preparing itself for a marathon of depression and loneliness. Adam turned away, clenching his eyes tight to block any tears that had begun to prick and let Dorian speak.

“Adam,” Dorian’s voice sounded different than before, a little shakier, as if he were doing the most difficult thing in the world, “I know you’ve been able to sense my distance lately, and I think that I should explain myself,” Adam didn’t speak, he was silenced by his growing fears. Was this really the end? Could it be possible  he would never get to see what his name would look like with Dorian’s last tacked onto it?

“I’ve had a lot on my mind lately,” Dorian continued, “and you’ve still been there no matter what. I really don’t know where I'd be today without you,” there was confidence building in the velvet voice Adam had loved for so long now. It reassured him, and the wave began to subside, quicker now with each word. He took a breath, and his grip loosened on the railing.

“You’ve been everything to me for so long I don’t remember what it’s like not to love you. To not be with you is to not exist,” Adam turned at the same time Dorian did and their eyes locked in the setting sun. Adam was hit with a wave of love for the man standing across from him as the final words he needed to hear were uttered.

“Adam Brenton, would you make me happier than I’ve ever been and marry me?” There was no hesitation now, only a burst of passion as the world paused. There was only them as Adam gathered Dorian into a kiss. The petals floated around them and the sun dropped below the horizon and darkness fell around them. Adam’s eyes shone brightly and he said the word full of a happiness he hadn’t realized could be this strong.

“Yes,”

March 23, 2021 12:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

04:52 Apr 02, 2021

I'm a sucker for romance and Dorian and Adam's story really fit the bill. So sweet. Your descriptions of the festival were vivid and drew me in to your vision. Just some words of advice: cut back on some of your modifiers and adverbs for a streamlined, tighter story. At times I felt like you were padding the piece. Otherwise, this was a really enjoyable read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ari Berri
22:35 Apr 02, 2021

This is great! One suggestion: Break it into more paragraphs. That'll make it easier to read. Nice job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.