41 comments

Romance Fiction

The quaint Italian restaurant was nearly empty, with plenty of seating available inside and out. Zoe always loved the romance of a meal outside on a summer night, the sun disappearing, the moon and stars lighting the sky. The cool night air caressed her arm, causing tiny goosebumps that made her soft blonde hair stand on end. Ben took his dark brown eyes from her face for a moment and noticed, placing a hand on her and running it softly and slowly from elbow to wrist, collecting her chill and making her burn instead. He looked back to her face, her eyes, so green and mysterious. Her lips wet with white wine and desire.

Zoe closed her eyes, taking in the feel of his touch. She felt the heat throughout her body, and shifted in her chair, inching closer to him. She gently crossed her legs, making sure to touch his in the process. Her short black sundress lifted further up her thigh, and she saw Ben looking at her with such hunger she blushed. 

Ben took a sip of his bourbon to try to refocus, but he couldn’t stop looking and wanting, needing the woman next to him. Without realizing, he found his hand on Zoe’s leg. They locked eyes, and tried to make conversation. 

“How long will you be out of town next week?” she asked him. 

“Three days. Early flight on Tuesday, a few meetings that day and Wednesday. Just a travel day on Thursday,” Ben replied. He saw the look of disappointment in her face, and erased it with a move of his hand to her inner thigh, teasing with his fingers as he slid it further and further. The tablecloth moved slightly as Ben’s hand moved to Zoe’s other leg under the table. He thought about what it would feel like, what it would taste like, if he…

Zoe smiled a wry grin. She uncrossed her legs letting him explore, and took another sip of wine, resting her arm on the table just close enough to Ben’s other arm that she felt the energy of their connection without even a touch. 

“I’ve never been to Chicago. Will you have time to get out in the city at all?” she asked. 

“Probably not. Just dinners with clients. The food is pretty good there though. Do you have a busy week ahead too?”

“No. I only have two shifts at work this week. Things have been slow, and they’re cutting back our hours a lot. But that’s ok, I told Jess I would come over this week to give her a hand with the baby. Sometimes she gets really overwhelmed. She’s been like that since college really, always in a panic over a test or a deadline. She’s happy I’m coming to handle things, as usual.” 

“You’re a great friend,” Ben said and squeezed her leg, making her move into his touch. Their faces were close. Zoe thought about leaning in, taking his face in her hands, pressing her lips to his…no, not yet. 

Zoe lifted her glass, and as she tipped it to her lips, a drop of condensation fell to her bare chest. Ben watched as it slowly made its way down, down towards her cleavage. Her dress was cut low, and he could see the tops of her breasts held firmly, pushed upwards in the tight fabric. The water droplet disappeared into her, leaving a wet trail. He followed the trail with his finger, her breath held, nipples hardening with expectation. He stopped his finger at her dress line. She released her breath slowly. 

“You dripped a bit,” he whispered. 

“You’re right. It seems I’m a little wet now. It’s this night air…” she replied softly, her voice trailing off. 

They moved closer, drawn by a pulsing need making every part of their bodies electric. Their legs touched, skin to skin, and their hearts raced. Zoe could feel drops of perspiration tickling her back, dripping down towards her bottom very slowly. Like soft fingers gliding intentionally. 

“Can I fill you up?” Ben asked, reaching for the bottle of wine chilling in ice next to the table. 

“Yes, please, all the way,” Zoe nodded, and took a piece of ice from the bucket. Ben watched her, moving closer. 

“It seems like it’s getting hotter tonight. Maybe we should have chosen a table inside with air conditioning,” Zoe said and moved the ice across her lips. Water dripped down her fingers, and slowed as it reached her wrist and bare arm. She then moved the ice slowly across her chest, now reddened with heat. She traced a line from one side to the other, streams of water dripping down. She kept his gaze as she put the ice in her mouth, and slowly sucked the liquid off her pink nail polished fingers. 

Ben watched her and felt a tightening, trying to loosen his shorts and adjust. This was just getting bigger than he was ready for right now. 

     It was getting uncomfortable. 

“Sorry that took so long! GiGi was just a mess and not cooperating when I tried to change her!” Jess said as she approached the table. She gave Ben a kiss on the cheek, clumsily flopped into her seat, and abruptly handed GiGi over. He took her and kissed her tiny head, little brown hairs standing on end. 

“No problem! Ben was just telling me where his trip is next week, the one you told me about. I guess that’s what you get when you marry a successful salesman! Always on the move, one place to another…” Zoe said with a forced smile. 

“Yeah, I knew what I was getting into. Luckily, I have you to keep me company when he’s gone! And thanks for joining us tonight. Ben keeps saying you need to come out with us more!” Jess said as she took several gulps of Coke, nearly knocking over her cup as she clumsily clanked it back to the table. 

“Yes, we’ll have a great time, just the girls!” 

Ben handed GiGi back to Jess, who had taken out a bottle and cloth for her shoulder.

 He dared a glance at Zoe. She dared back.

It was getting uncomfortable. 

September 24, 2023 13:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

41 comments

E. B. Bullet
14:44 Sep 30, 2023

OooooOoOooOOOoo...steamy! You tug at the sensations really well! I think the strongest part of your writing was the pull of sexual tension, which is saying something because you built it up pretty much throughout the entire story LOL. I love a good "But we mustn't!" It's a classic. I will say, one thing that could be improved is your character descriptions. For scenes like these that are so viscerally physical, I think the extra push beyond just "his brown eyes, her blonde hair" would take things to the next level. I mean, why is the a...

Reply

Nina H
19:27 Sep 30, 2023

Thanks for the great feedback! As far as the character descriptions, I was just trying to emulate romance writing and that’s what came out 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
19:38 Sep 27, 2023

Damn this was raunchy from the get-go 😂 Too raunchy for wholesome short story competitions 😂 Nice twist at the end. You really built the sexual tension up, expertly, only for to be drained away in an instant. The two often opposing sides of the coin of a relationship (sex vs raising a family) were really amplified by the finale. It was a thought provoking take-away. Great job Nina

Reply

Nina H
19:53 Sep 27, 2023

*ROMANCE not raunchy!!! 😂😂😂 I actually wondered if it was too…romantic for this 😬 🤣 You point out a key aspect with the two sided coin though. The pull of one vs the other. Thanks for your great feedback Tom 😄

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Reid
23:11 May 04, 2024

Just now reading this and thought it should have won the contest. Much better

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mila Miles
18:12 Oct 12, 2023

This made me so sad, it almost hurt. And that is a compliment. You went all the way with it. No sugarcoating. As stuff like this should be depicted. Perhaps…I know that it might not be as black and white, in real life, but then again it also might. In which case, it is really savage, as I think your story kind of is. Brutality of betrayal.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Madhu Sudhan
00:19 Oct 07, 2023

Superbly turned climax. It's a never expected story.. a good one. Keep writing. like this kind of story. A true one happens in everyone's life sometimes.

Reply

Nina H
12:45 Oct 07, 2023

Thanks for reading, Madhu!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jonathan Page
02:05 Oct 06, 2023

Wow Nina! Steamy!!

Reply

Nina H
12:26 Oct 07, 2023

Makes for good coffee and stories 😜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chalice Davis
03:07 Oct 03, 2023

Gurrrll, that was tantalizing. Love it love it love it. I definitely want to read more of that.

Reply

Nina H
12:57 Oct 03, 2023

Thanks for reading, Chalice!! Maybe there will be another prompt where I can continue this one!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Corr
22:38 Oct 01, 2023

Very funny! 😂

Reply

Nina H
23:01 Oct 01, 2023

Thanks Karen! 😝

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Luca King Greek
13:59 Oct 01, 2023

Very funny and clever!

Reply

Nina H
11:17 Oct 06, 2023

Thanks for reading, Luca!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
07:04 Oct 01, 2023

This inverted the bodice ripper very well as I wanted to kill off the romantic pair when I realised this wasn't just a romantic date but she was courting infidelity and he enjoying it. Yes, all that lasciviousness certainly went from steamy to slapped wrists when the wife and baby turned up!

Reply

Nina H
22:45 Oct 01, 2023

No bodice ripping for this guy!! 😝

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:38 Sep 30, 2023

Loved this! Steam-packed with innuendos from the jump. They were both clever with it, too. Then, just as we think it's about to head to the next level, you pull the chair out from under us and introduce us to Jess and baby GiGi. Ohno! Could've...would've...but it...just won't happen! Great read!

Reply

Nina H
13:01 Sep 30, 2023

Thanks Frank! You could almost hear the bubble of desire burst for them as Jess flops herself into the picture 😝

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tatham Baker
11:08 Sep 30, 2023

Haha! This was genius! I love the description of Jess "clumsily" flopping onto her seat, it really helped amplify the shock and the (as you put) uncomfortability of the whole situation! I also love how you can hear the zealous jealousy in Zoe's voice when she says "I guess that's what you get when you marry a successful salesman!" There are so many different components that build the tension within this story, just for said tension to be flipped on its head ('raunchy' tension becomes awkward tension). Really well done!

Reply

Nina H
12:01 Sep 30, 2023

“Zealous jealousy” - I like that!! And you got it, tension all around for this threesome! Thanks for the read and comment, Sean! 😄

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danie Holland
14:10 Sep 29, 2023

Nina, I love how in the first half of this story you use your words to tuck one gentle finger underneath our chin, coaxing us to look you directly in the eyes. We start to feel safe, warm even. Once were quite sure we know where this is going, you use your other hand to slap us right across our cheek. You didn't even give us a warning. We realize we have been mislead. You leave us with sobering feelings of betrayal. What a way to capture this prompt with a bitter truth, hard to swallow. Very well written, Thank you

Reply

Nina H
14:15 Sep 29, 2023

I love your take on this! Mislead, betrayed, both IN the story and reading it. A very meta look at it! I had hoped the abrupt entrance of Jess would be jarring, and a “slap across the face” seems appropriate! Thanks for your insight, Danie!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Beth Connor
15:55 Sep 28, 2023

Oh I love that you went full on romance for this- very spicy, and then moving into that uncomfortable place when Jess came back was a great twist in the tale! You certainly turned a romance trope on its head. Well done.

Reply

Nina H
13:10 Sep 29, 2023

Thanks Beth! You can almost picture the Romance novel book cover for this one with a provocatively dressed woman and torn shirt man gazing longingly at each other, their long hair dancing in the wind of the outdoor seating setting… lol!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
04:14 Sep 27, 2023

Oooh! Well this was a steamy one, and with an unexpected ending! I kind of expected Ben to die in his travels (probably because I always kill of my characters, ha!) But this was way better! The heat and anticipation was so tangible and as I'm sure Ben felt, it was a huge mood killer to have his wife arrive with a baby (though that's totally sad, especially when we discover the woman is the wife's friend! Ugh!) Well played for this prompt, Nina, really well done!

Reply

Nina H
09:41 Sep 27, 2023

Lol!! I just had a vision of you writing writing writing, then saying “And now you must die!” as you kill off a character 😂 that’s how it happens right?!? I didn’t even think to kill Ben! That probably would have been a more satisfying ending given his character! Ha!! Thanks for reading this “romance” of mine!!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
12:33 Sep 27, 2023

😂 that is how it happens! I like the way this ended though. It surprised me! Made me gasp big time! 😯

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
02:29 Sep 27, 2023

Tricky, tricky. Definitely shouldn't go any where! Good job fooling us.

Reply

Nina H
09:42 Sep 27, 2023

Thanks for reading, Mary!! 😄

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
13:20 Sep 26, 2023

That got hot and heavy quickly. Ben is not good husband material I’m afraid, and Zoe is a lousy best friend.

Reply

Nina H
13:26 Sep 26, 2023

Exactly! Not a happy ending for anyone involved 😬

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anthony Carello
23:57 Sep 25, 2023

Very descriptive story. The ending didn't go where I expected it. Well done.

Reply

Nina H
14:50 Sep 26, 2023

Thanks, Anthony! I tried to figure out what could stop a “happy ever after” for them, and that’s where it lead. I appreciate you taking the time to read and give feedback 😄

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Miller
20:34 Sep 25, 2023

Crikey! The dirty dogs!

Reply

Nina H
21:14 Sep 25, 2023

Ikr?!? Gosh they’re scandalous!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:30 Sep 24, 2023

Ohhh Nina!! I was definitely sitting in the wrong place while reading this but I couldn't stop 😂 racy! Definitely effective that's all I'm saying!

Reply

Nina H
18:33 Sep 24, 2023

Lol!!! Maybe it needs another trigger warning?!? 😝

Reply

18:36 Sep 24, 2023

I didn't see one! And I never read them anyway 🥴

Reply

Nina H
18:37 Sep 24, 2023

Oh you’re right, I didn’t put one!! Yeah me too. I just blindly leap into everything on here 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.