Death Comes In Threes

Written in response to: Write a story that includes the line, "Is nobody going to say it?".... view prompt

0 comments

American Fiction Sad

This story contains sensitive content

TRIGGER WARNING: This story is about three deaths. There is a mention of gang violence, a heart attack, and a car bomb.


The office of Seabrook Viking News had always been a bustling hub of activity, but today, it was eerily quiet. Sam Ihle and his wife, Jodie Williams-Ihle, had just returned from their 2 1/2-week honeymoon, their radiant smiles a stark contrast to the somber mood that had settled over the newsroom. The first death at Viking News came as a shock to everyone.


Julio Vasquez, a crime reporter known for his daring investigations, had decided to go undercover to expose the Gung-Ho Sputnik Gang. Julio was inspired by the legendary Nellie Bly, aiming to reveal the gang's operations from the inside. He managed to infiltrate the gang and gather significant evidence. But his triumph was short-lived. When his true identity was discovered, the gang didn’t hesitate to make an example of him. He was, as the Sputnik Gang loved to say, “sent to the butcher shop.” The news of his brutal murder had shaken the entire office.


Julio’s desk remained untouched, a silent reminder of the danger that came with their profession. Sam, who had worked closely with Julio on several occasions, felt a deep sense of loss. “He was one of the bravest journalists I knew,” he said quietly to Jodie as they settled back into their routines.


A month later, the Viking News family faced another blow. Jimmy Pruitt, the veteran photographer and Nam vet who had been with the paper for decades, passed away from a heart attack the day after his retirement party. Jimmy was a fixture at the paper, known for his gruff exterior but soft heart. It was so soft and pure, in fact, that everyone called him Good Saint Nick, and not just because of his long white beard and rotund belly. He had one of the best sounding laughs among the crew. Jimmy had planned to spend his retirement traveling and photographing the world. His sudden death left a void that seemed impossible to fill.


The staff gathered for Jimmy’s memorial service, sharing stories and memories of the man who had been a mentor to many. Jodie, holding Sam’s hand, whispered, “I can’t believe he’s gone. He was like a rock for all of us.”


Just when the team thought they couldn't handle any more loss, the editor-in-chief, Patrick McKean, strode into the bullpen with a grave expression. “I have some terrible news,” he began, his voice heavy with emotion. “Our colleague Ryan Hall, who was on assignment in Baghdad, was killed by a car bomb. He was on his way to interview a diplomat.”


The newsroom fell silent, the weight of the news sinking in. Ryan Hall had been a dedicated journalist, always willing to go to the most dangerous places to get the story. His death felt like a punch to the gut for everyone who knew him.


As the staff exchanged uneasy glances, the tension in the room was palpable. Finally, someone broke the silence. “Is nobody going to say it?” a voice called out from the back. It was human interest reporter Carl Gene Philips. “Death comes in threes.”


A murmur of agreement rippled through the room. The saying had crossed everyone’s mind, but hearing it spoken aloud made it all the more real. The Viking News family was reeling from the loss of three of their own in such a short span of time.


Patrick took a deep breath, trying to maintain his composure. “I know this has been an incredibly difficult time for all of us,” he said. “But we have to remember why we’re here. We’re journalists. Our job is to seek the truth and tell the stories that need to be told. Let’s honor Julio, Jimmy, and Ryan by continuing to do our best work.”


The team nodded in agreement, though their hearts were heavy. Sam and Jodie exchanged a look, knowing that their honeymoon glow had been overshadowed by the recent tragedies. They had to channel their grief into their work, just as they always had.


Over the next few weeks, the newsroom slowly began to regain its usual rhythm. Stories were written, deadlines were met, and life went on. But the memories of their lost colleagues lingered, casting a long shadow over everything they did.


Sam found solace in his work, throwing himself into his investigations with renewed determination. He knew that Julio, Jimmy, and Ryan would want him to keep pushing forward, no matter how tough things got. Jodie, too, found strength in her reporting, using her platform to shed light on important issues.


Three weeks and ten days later…

That night, the newsroom was quieter than usual, a heavy silence hanging in the air ever since the announcement of Ryan Hall’s death forty days ago. Sam Ihle sat at his desk, staring at the blinking cursor on his computer screen. The grief was still raw, and he found it difficult to focus on his work. His mind kept drifting back to memories of Ryan, a colleague with whom he had shared a complicated history.


Sam leaned back in his chair, letting out a deep sigh. He glanced over at Jodie, who was busy typing up her latest political column. She looked up and gave him a small, encouraging smile. He nodded, feeling a bit more grounded. Sam had been in love with Jodie long before she knew it, and their relationship had been a rollercoaster, influenced by misunderstandings and jealousy, particularly involving Ryan.


Ryan Hall had been an exceptional journalist, but he had a fiercely competitive streak. He and Sam rarely saw eye to eye on things, and Ryan’s jealousy only intensified when he mistakenly thought Sam was in love with his girlfriend, Katherine Evangelista. Sam and Katherine were close, but their relationship was more sibling-like than romantic. Yet, Ryan’s suspicion created a rift between them.


One evening, determined to clear the air, Sam decided to invite Ryan to his apartment for a game of Monopoly. He also invited Jodie, hoping the informal setting would help ease the tension.


“Come on, Ryan. Let’s just hang out, have some fun,” Sam had said, trying to keep his tone light. “I’ve got the old Monopoly board ready. Jodie’s coming too.”


Ryan had hesitated but eventually agreed. That night, Sam made sure to create a warm and welcoming atmosphere. He ordered pizza, stocked the fridge with beer, and set up the Monopoly board on the coffee table.


When Ryan arrived, he seemed guarded, but Sam greeted him with a genuine smile. “Hey, Comrade! Ready to lose all your money?”


Ryan chuckled, albeit a bit stiffly. “We’ll see about that, Comrade.”


Jodie arrived shortly after, her presence lighting up the room. Sam couldn’t help but make heart eyes at her, a look that didn’t go unnoticed by Ryan. As they played, the ice between Sam and Ryan began to melt. The game was filled with laughter, banter, and friendly competition. Jodie’s infectious charm helped ease the tension, and soon, Ryan started to see the truth—Sam’s feelings were directed entirely at Jodie, not Katherine.


By the end of the night, the three of them were sprawled on the couch, laughing over the idea of creating a Communist version of Monopoly called Community.


“Just imagine it,” Sam had said, grinning. “Instead of buying properties, you’d share resources. Everyone would win together, or lose together.”


Ryan laughed harder than he had in months. “We’d need a collective board to manage it. The Motherland’s finest!”


From that night on, the relationship between Sam and Ryan transformed. The misunderstandings were cleared, and they became genuine friends. They started calling each other “Comrade” and would often joke about “the Motherland,” a playful reminder of their shared humor.


Sitting at his desk now, Sam’s eyes misted over as he remembered those moments. Despite their rocky start, Ryan had become a good friend. They had covered some of the toughest stories together, their bond strengthening over time. Ryan had always been there to share a laugh, a sarcastic comment, or a piece of advice.


“Hey, Comrade,” Sam whispered to the empty room, a sad smile tugging at his lips. “I hope you’re somewhere peaceful, sharing a laugh about the Motherland.”


Jodie noticed his distant gaze and walked over, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder. “Thinking about Ryan?”


“Yeah,” Sam replied, his voice thick with emotion. “We had our differences, but he was a good man. We became really close after that Monopoly night. I still remember the look on his face when he realized I was head over heels for you and not Katherine.”


Jodie smiled softly, sitting down next to him. “He really thought you had a thing for her, didn’t he?”


“He did,” Sam said, chuckling through his tears. “But once he understood, we got along great. He was my comrade, in every sense of the word.”


They sat in silence for a moment, both lost in their own memories of Ryan. The newsroom around them buzzed with the quiet hum of activity, but for Sam and Jodie, it felt like time had paused.


“Death comes in threes,” Jodie said quietly, echoing the words that had hung in the air earlier. “Julio, Jimmy, and now Ryan. It’s hard to believe they’re all gone.”


“I know,” Sam said, wiping his eyes. “But we’ll keep going, for them. We’ll keep telling the stories that need to be told.”


Jodie squeezed his hand, her eyes filled with determination. “For them, and for the truth.”


As they returned to their desks, the weight of their losses felt a little lighter. Sam knew that Ryan’s spirit would always be with him, urging him to push forward, to keep fighting for what mattered. And in those moments of doubt or grief, he could almost hear Ryan’s voice, calling him “Comrade” and reminding him of the strength they found in each other.


The newsroom might have lost three of its brightest stars, but their legacy lived on in every story written, every truth uncovered, and every bond forged in the pursuit of justice. Sam and Jodie, and the rest of the Viking News team, would carry that torch forward, honoring their fallen comrades with every step they took.


One evening, as the sun set over Seabrook, Sam and Jodie sat in their shared office, reflecting on the past few months. “We’ve been through a lot,” Jodie said softly, resting her head on Sam’s shoulder.


“Yeah, we have,” Sam agreed, wrapping his arm around her. “But we’ve got each other. And we’ve got a job to do.”


Jodie smiled, her heart swelling with love for her husband. “You’re right. We’ll keep going, for them.”


As they sat in the quiet of their office, the weight of their losses seemed a little lighter. They knew that their fallen colleagues would always be a part of the Viking News family, guiding them in spirit as they continued to seek the truth and tell the stories that mattered.


And so, life at Seabrook Viking News went on, with Sam and Jodie leading the way, determined to honor the memory of their friends by being the best journalists they could be.

July 13, 2024 00:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.