0 comments

Friendship Inspirational




Catherine and Rosie, two elderly women, sat on a park bench on a beautiful summer day. Although their hair had turned platinum with age their step, unsteady, they were still friends, and here they were just as they had been during their childhood. This day was the last of many they had spent together, for they were getting quite old and time was nearing lifes end. Life had been a gift to these ladies, and now they are wise beyond their years. Rosie had always had a deep appreciation for Catherine, who was always selfless and willing to help anyone in need. Catherine was always there to show people that there is hope, and she would take the time to help someone along a different path to heal and help their life's journey. Her kind and generous spirit was an inspiration to Rosie and many others.


As they watched families playing in the grass, dogs catching frisbees, and people jogging and scurrying around the block, they envied the simpler times. Rose looked over at her friend, who always seemed so calm and comforting, never losing her cool no matter the situation. They shared a moment of understanding, and smiled at the memories they had made together.


The ladies sat in comfortable silence, enjoying the companionship of their longtime friendship. No words were necessary to express the joy they felt in each other's presence. Their shared understanding was enough to bring a sense of contentment and peacefulness. It was a beautiful thing to witness such a strong bond between two people.Rosie had a deep admiration for Catherine. Despite losing her parents to at a young age, a husband to cancer, Catherine kept her spirit and heart, always looking for the upside to things. Rosie was curious to know how Catherine managed to remain so positive, as she wasn't a religious woman and it wasn't her faith in God that kept her going. She asked Catherine, "How do you do it?


With a long pause, Catherine softly asked, "How do I do what, dear?" Rosie, quite unsure how to ask the question, hesitantly asked, "How do you find comfort in the chaos?" Catherine glanced over at a stray cat, and began to chuckle, then she replied,


"In a dog eat dog


world, you've gotta


be a cat."


Rosie looked at Catherine with confusion, her brow furrowed as she asked, "What does that mean? Be a cat?" Catherine gave her a warm smile and said, "Oh dear, let me tell you a story. This is what it means..." As a child, before I met you my dear, my upbringing was far from pleasant. Growing up in a difficult environment, my elders were too occupied with providing for the family to pay much attention to me. Despite this, I was quite tenacious and adventurous, often wandering around the village to explore. On one of my adventures, I witnessned a dog chasing a stray cat, with a group of children following closely behind. It was a heartbreaking sight, and I could not help but feel a sense of disapproval.


I found myself quite intrigued, observing the remarkable jumping ability of this cat as it leapt to incredible heights. It perched itself atop the tree, looking down at the dog that had been chasing it, with a certain air of satisfaction. It was a remarkable sight to behold.


As Catherine continued to tell her story, the sounds of the streets became louder and she began to struggle to be heard. "Well my dear," she explained with a chuckle, The next day I looked everywhere for this stray cat, until one day there it was, as if it was trying to get me to follow it..


I couldn't help but follow the cat, and it led me to an alley. There, I found more strays, happily eating amongst the rubbish and cleaning themselves up a bit after supper. Then, it started to rain, and the stray cat nudged me on the leg to join it some more. I was filled with joy and admiration for these animals and their resilience.


It was quite the adventure! Catherine told Rosie the story with a joyful tone, and Rosie listened with excitement and scooted closer to hear every word. Catherine described how the stray had bolted through the people, under a car, through a park, and stopped under a torn piece of metal to shelter through the storm. Together, Catherine and the cat waited out the storm, and when the rain began to stop, the cat led Catherine up to an abandoned building, and they climbed onto the rooftop to watch the village people scatter among the town and the silly dogs on leashes. Catherine said the cat showed her to keep on keeping on, to keep her peace, live simple, and not wear out her welcome. Although I tried to pick up the kitty, it would always jump and scurry around, free and wild - just like me! She fondly remembered the peace that the cat had shown her and how it had taught her to remain strong in the face of difficult times, to not be overwhelmed by the chaotic and ever-changing beliefs of the world, to be a compassionate observer, and to be present and respectful of her environment, to listen to others without judgment. It was an admirable lesson to learn, and she was grateful for it . Catherine laughed at the similarity. For years, the cat and I spent our days together in the sun, chasing birds, and observing and learning from different situations. It was a special bond that I will always cherish.


The cat lead her to a place of self virtue, and she felt a newfound strength within her. She was determined to be fierce and overcome any obstacle that stood in her way. With a smile of joy and determination, she said to herself, "Be a cat!" She was excited to take on the world and make her dreams a reality.

March 03, 2023 12:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.