Why?

Submitted into Contest #45 in response to: Write a story about inaction.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Alicia

The young girl cried herself to sleep. There was no one to comfort her. Her father was killed. Her mother had left to the marches. But everyone forgot about Alicia Park.


She saw nightmares of faceless policemen with guns in their hands. They all surrounded her father and asked him to drop his gun. But it wasn't a gun. He argued with them, and then the shot came. A loud BANG in the silent night was heard. And one man was no more.


She woke up with a start, knowing her father had to be there. He had to comfort her. But his warm, dark hands were not there to smooth her curls. His eyes weren't there to reassure her. He wasn't there to hold her light hands and say "It's okay. Go back to sleep."


But it wasn't ok. He was dead. He was gone forever. He would never do those things again. She stared at a picture on the wall, a photograph, of her white mother and her black father. They were at their wedding, and there was much feasting and dancing. She wiped her tears away and grabbed the photo. With her happy father snuggled in her arms, the 6 year old finally went to sleep.


Anna

People were surrounding the house, shouting and protesting, and Anna was terrified. They were coming closer and closer, and the house suddenly felt claustrophobic. The walls were closing in, and she was breathing fast.


Her mother wasn't there to stop the panic attack, she was yelling at her father. The chief of police was yelling right back. In all her 12 years, Anna had never seen them this angry. "Why did you have to kill him? Just put him in chains and take him to the police station!" yelled her mother, stroking her fingers through her blond hair. "He was holding a gun to my chest! I had to pull the trigger!"


Anna didn't know what was right, but she'd rather be outside than with them. She went to the balcony and looked at the moon. How could the moon still shine on such a day? Anna thought about the situation. Her father had killed an innocent man, claiming he put a gun to his chest. Anna didn't believe it.


Protesters were coming towards the balcony now, coming in large crowds. She ran inside and grabbed a poster. She wrote some things and went outside. Anna then joined them with one single word on the poster. "Why?"


Alicia

Alicia finally awoke. She was sore from hugging the sharp edges of the frame and her face tasted like salt. The frame was cracked, but she didn't care. She took the frame to the kitchen, and sat there, like she did every morning. Waiting for breakfast.


But it never came. She wondered why. And then she looked at the frame. Her mother had left. Her father had died. She wanted to cry, but she had no tears left. Her lovable father was gone. Forever.


Her mother was back, and saw Alicia at the counter, hugging the frame. She hugged Alicia and smiled at her. Many people didn't think her parents were her parents. Because of their skin color. But they were. She hugged her mother and never let go. Then, the tears came back. They soiled their dresses, but no one cared. They both sat there, crying and wishing it wasn't true.


Anna

Anna snuck back inside, but her father caught her. "Where were you?" She was about to skirt away, but he held his grip. "What are you doing with that?" she didn't answer, just looked away again. Finally, she got her courage. "I was at the protests. Protesting for the rights of African Americans." She held her head high.


He slapped her, hard. She knew it was coming and stayed where she was. "I am not wrong. That man deserved justice. You should be in a trial right now. You just murdered a man, and you are slapping your daughter!" She shook her arm away and marched to her room.


He was left standing there, wondering "What have I done?" He seemed changed. His own daughter was against him now, his wife had left him, and everything was sideways. He knew what to do. He took his police badge and uniform and went to the office.


Alicia

Alicia wanted justice. She wanted them to know. But nothing was happening. No one was replying to the protests. Why? One simple question, with no answer. Because her father was not the only one. Millions of people were dead or in prison for no reason. And who is changing the laws? Who is firing the policemen?


She took it into her own hands. She marched to the police station with the officer's name on a piece of paper, and a sandwich, because she would stay there until they gave her what she asked for.


Anna

Anna wanted justice. She went all over social media, telling them her father was a murderer. People didn't reply. All of her friends had blocked her. It was as though they didn't want to know. That was it. She ran to the police office, knowing what she had to do.


George

George stared at the three people in the office. "What can I do for you three?" he asked. The littlest girl responded first. "I am Alicia Park. I would like to file a murder. My father was murdered. His name is Thomas Park." He took the name from him and looked towards the man.


"This girl is saying you murdered her father?" He seemed to want to say yes, but then shook his head. "No, I didn't. But I am moving, so here is my uniform and badge." "FATHER YOU LIAR!!!" yelled the girl. "YOU KILLED A MAN!! WE WILL NOT JUST MOVE TO ESCAPE WHAT YOU DESERVE!" she was red and panting. But George didn't file the murder. No, this black girl was crazy. Thomas Park died with an accidental shot.


He was a white man, and was shocked at the girl's behavior. But he let it slide. "Sorry dear, but your father's death was accidental. Go on home now."


Anna

Anna comforted the girl outside, she couldn't be more than 6. She wondered if that was her. Then there would be a much bigger response. Because she was white, and Alicia was black. She vowed to make this right. She vowed to end this injustice. But her own friends had rejected her. What could she do?

June 07, 2020 13:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.