2 comments

Fiction

Natalie sat with her three friends, James, Cathy, and Bryan. They were in a cozy cafe with dark oak wood-colored tables, tall, black chairs, and shiny grey floors.  

The four friends were an odd bunch. Natalie, the one who was fun and super nice, always asked about others before herself. 

James, the laid-back one, would do almost anything for Nattie. 

Cathy, the wild side of the group, often had crazy ideas or notions. 

Bryan, the sensible one, usually had a plan and stuck to it. 

They had decided to the cafe to catch up with what was going on with each other. 

“I think I will get a scone to go with my pumpkin spice latte,” Natalie said. “Does anyone else want something?” Natalie asked. 

“I’m good.” Cathy said.  

The two guys were so engrossed in their conversation that they hadn’t heard her. 

Natalie took that as a no and went to the counter. 

“Hi! What can I get for you today?” The female barista asked. 

“Hi, can I get a pumpkin scone, please?” 

“Yes, let me get that for you.”  

“Here you go, that will be $3.00.”  

Natalie tapped her card on the machine and said, “Thank you.” 

“You’re welcome. Have a great day!” 

“You too.” 

Natalie walked away from the register and headed towards the table.  

“Woah! Nattie, that’s a large scone. Are you sure you’re going to eat that?” James asked. 

“I think what you’re really trying to say is that you want to eat my scone. You can have what I don’t eat,” Natalie said. 

“Leave it to the guys to finish our food, Natalie.” Cathy said, glancing at Bryan and James. 

“What can I say? A guy has to eat.” Bryan said. 

Natalie bit into her frosted pumpkin scone. It was perfectly sweetened and had the perfect texture. As much as she wanted to eat the whole scone, she knew she couldn’t. She ate four bites of the scone before handing it to James.  

“Thanks.” He said, giving his signature wink. 

Natalie loved it when he winked. 

“James, remember that you said you’re were going to that place with me.” Natalie said. 

“I know, Nattie.” James said. 

“What’s going on here? Did we miss something?” Cathy asked. 

“I promised Nattie I would go to a vintage store with her.” James explained. 

“Antique shop.” Natalie said, correcting him. 

“It’s the same thing, Nattie.” 

“Are you sure that’s all that is going on?” Cathy asked. 

Cathy’s style was bold. She usually wore bright colors or mix-match clothes. She was the type of person who you think is weird until you get to know her. 

“Aren’t you and Bryan the same people with break-up, get back together relationship? No, there is nothing else going on,” Natalie said. 

“Okay, then.” Cathy responded.  

It was true that Natalie liked James, but she wouldn’t tell that to his face. He probably didn’t feel the same way that she did. Even if he did, what would that mean for their friendship?  

Natalie continued in her thoughts when James said, “We should probably get going.” 

“Yeah, you’re right.”  

Natalie scooted out of her seat and begin putting on her tan jacket and black scarf over her 

Black dress and grey leggings. 

The store she wanted to go to was called Fashion Backward Antiques. Natalie had never been to the shop, but she had heard people talk about it.  

Natalie really liked antique items. She shopped for almost anything; furniture, clothes, etc. 

Natalie often went to different antique shop to find knick-knacks. She saw these items as treasure. Natalie created stories in her head about what happened to these antique items. 

“Here we are.” Natalie said.  

As they approached the shop, James grabbed the door and said, “Ladies first.” 

“Thank you.” Natalie said in response.  

The quaint shop had furniture, quilts, and various household items. 

The store owners, an elderly couple, apparently had this shop for over four decades.   

“The china is beautiful.” Natalie said, inspecting the blue china with her hands.  

Then Natalie saw a beautiful quilt. The design was the tulip Rose of Sharon. It was green, pink and white, and trimmed with gold.  

“This is quite nice.” Natalie said. 

“Are you going to get it?” James asked. 

“I think so. I wanted to get the 12-piece china, but I shouldn’t spend too much money.” Natalie responded. 

The two walked up to the register.  

“Is this all?” A woman asked them. 

“Yes.” Natalie said.  

She began pulling out her wallet when James said, “I’ll buy that for you.”  

“I wouldn’t ask you to do that.” Natalie said. 

“You didn’t ask, I offered to,” James said. 

James walked to the area they had stood before and grabbed the china set. 

“Add this to the purchase.” James said to the woman. 

“Okay.” The woman said. 

The woman’s husband came out and said, “It’s so nice to see young love. It reminds me of us when we were young.” 

“We’re not a couple.” Natalie said.  

“I know young love when I see it.” The man said. 

“You’ll have to sign this form.” The woman said. 

James payed for the items and Natalie signed the form the shop owner gave her.   

“The china will be delivered to your door in about a week.” The woman said. 

“Thank you.” Natalie and James said at the same time. 

They looked at each other as they made their way to the door. 

“I hope you have a nice day.” 

The bell above the door chimed as they exited. 

“I really appreciate this,” Natalie said, as they walked to his car. 

“You know I care for you,” James said. 

She hadn’t expected him to bring up that subject. 

“James, I-” Natalie began, but James cut her off. 

“We don’t have to talk about it,” James said. 

She knew he was upset by her not wanting to talk about. The car ride was silent-too silent.  

They arrived at her house. 

“I want to talk about us, but I was afraid you didn’t feel the same way.”  

“I felt the same way.”  

“I guess we should have just said something. We could have saved time.” 

James laughed, “We could have.” 

“So, what does that make us?” Natalie asked. 

“You like antiques so much that I think a fitting title is ‘A courting couple’,” James said. 

“I like that,” Natalie said, feeling quite joyful. “A courting couple.” 

July 19, 2024 23:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Mary Bendickson
16:21 Jul 20, 2024

Nice to see you posted again.

Reply

19:07 Jul 20, 2024

;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.