0 comments

Mystery

Josie never understood how people could expect the unexpected because she certainly couldn't. Why couldn't I have known about this sooner? Why couldn't I have seen right through his pretty face? Is what she asked herself every day when remembering who put her there, who ruined her life, her future. She lost everything. She can never run again, she will never be looked at the same; she can never show her face at school and most of all she lost someone that she truly loved. 

The sound of her phone vibrating interrupted her thoughts. She turned her head slightly to the side, and gazed up her phone to see who it was calling her. She bit down on her lip and cringed. Even to turn on her side it hurt too much. “Ow.” She mumbled before finally being able to pick up her phone. When she saw who it was, her face drained of all its blood; her face sagged and she had begun to feel utterly distraught. “Josh.” She gritted his name through her teeth and pressed the red end button then tossed her phone further down her bed. “Ow!” She yelled this time. 

“Josie?” Her mother threw open the door with worried eyes, clearly she heard the yell. “I’m okay mom, just threw my phone and forgot about my bruised arm.” Josie tried smiling to cover her pain, to show her mom that she was okay even though she wasn’t, but it was no use the cringe she was trying so hard to hide shown in her fake smile. Her face was covered in the dried up tears that she had shed not too long ago when she was alone; Josie was clearly hurt, yet she did not want to show it. “Josie, you just got out of the hospital, I don't want you ending up back there again because u couldn't follow simple orders.” Her mom said, with her arms folded against her chest. “The doctor said to take it easy, and don't worry the police will find out who did this.” Josie frowned. “I already know who did this; Nick did this.” Her mother sighed and rolled her eyes for what seemed like the billionth time since the incident. “Josie I told you, Nick could not have done this, he’s been out of town all week.” Josie rolled her eyes this time out of disbelief. “Why would Nick do something as horrible like that anyways? He loved you.” Of course she chose his side; the so called “saint” always got the approval of mother. Josie thought. Her mother always approved of everyone she dated but when it came to Nick, she thought he would be the ‘one’ for her. 

“You know why mom.” Josie did not want to bring this up but she wanted her mom to see the truth. “You cannot blame him for leaving Josie, he is seventeen, and he was not ready for that kind of commitment. But he would never do something like that to you.” Josie laid back on her pillow and ignored her mom, not wanting to get into another argument. “Could you get my phone out of here please? Josh has called seven times in the past ten minutes and my thumb is starting to get tired of having to press the end button every five seconds.” Josie said softly. It even hurt for her to speak. “Okay, but you have a visitor.” Her mother grabbed Josie's phone from her bed and walked away with it, letting the visitor right in. There he stood at a decent 5’9, black thin hair that curved over to the side at the front, giving him that Boo Boo Stewart look, is what Josie told him when they first met. He was partially tan and had green emerald eyes. His tight shirt outlined his muscular figure and brought out his ginormous arms. He attempted at a slight smile before having it turned down by Josie's death glare.  

“Did I hanging up on you not tell you that we are done?” Josie hissed. 

“And did my obsessive calls not tell you that I am not giving up.” Josh said with a smirk on his face; a smirk that still made Josie melt inside whenever she saw it. She whipped her head to the side to keep herself from staring, regretting it seconds later. “Ow.” She said softly. Josh raced over to her and tried touching her but Josie found enough strength to swat his hand away. “Josie how many times do I have to tell you that it was not my fault?” Josie sighed annoyed and pulled herself up slowly into a sitting position. “How could you? I told you that if you told him then I was as good as dead!” Josie reached over for her water and took a sip. Josh held a confused face; he had no idea what Josie was going on about. “What?” He finally said.

 “I was put in the hospital because your buddy knew. You told him, and he rammed my car into a tree with his damn truck. Now you tell me, why in the hell would he do that if he didn't know? He could have killed me Josh and as far as I know he still thinks he did.” Josie’s pale face was now burning red out of anger and her throat hurt even more from all that yelling. “Nick did this? I am going to kill that bastard.” Josh gritted. “For what? For not getting the job done?” A tear fell down Josie's face and Josh sat on the bed, centimeters away staring right into her blue eyes. Josh smiled and moved a strand of her red hair from her face. “You really don’t remember do you?” Josh lowered his head and shook it. This time Josie was the one to look confused. “Now Josie how could I have been in this if I was in the car with you as well.” Josh revealed his bruised chest and legs as proof and Josie gasped right away, not believing that her boyfriend was in the car with her at the time of the incident. “I was blacked out before I could get a look at our attempted murder. I was up to see the car flip midair and I was out as soon as the car dropped.” Josie pushed herself up and against her bed, shaking her head no out of disbelief. Who would want to kill us then? She asked herself. It was obviously not an accident, she thought. There were only two people that were ashamed of what Nick and her had done six months ago…and that’s when it came to her. Unlike Josh she got to see who flipped their car. He walked over to the car to see if he got the job done, thinking that Josie was out, he checked and saw there closed eyes and then Josie opened hers and watched as he ran away. 

She misunderstood the whole situation and him. She had it all wrong. Nick did not run them over, she had it all confused. Nick and her broke up five months ago. She told him that she was falling in love with him and he couldn’t handle that. A month later Josh and her became an item and that’s when her big secret came out. A secret that she and three others knew. Everything was starting to come to her again. Nick did not do it. He couldn’t have.

“Daddy…” Josie whispered under her breath. Tears slowly glided down her cheek and her heart rate had begun to decrease. He did not go on a business trip, he ran away from what he did. She remembered seeing his black work boots approach her broken body and crunch against the shattered glass of all the cars mirrors; The car that he had helped her pick out, the car that he spent half his savings on. She remembered watching him drive off in his blue Chevy Colorado; while she called for him in pain. He was the one person that did not show up to the hospital that day, one person that walked out the door as soon as she revealed that she was pregnant, with Nick’s child. 

“Who?” Josh leaned in closer to her so he could hear her better. 

“My Dad killed my baby.”  

July 17, 2020 22:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.