5 comments

Friendship

Warning: Contains Language

Step 1: Apologize to Carter 

“Why the fuck would I do that,” I wondered aloud. “HE is the one that cheated, not me. I ought to get an apology!” 

“ Your the one that wrote it, Liv. It was your first resolution goal on your list,” Cassie said, sprawled out on my bed. She looked up at me with her twinking amber eyes, grinning. She had been my best friend since kindergarten. We knew each other even better than we knew ourselves. 

“I know! That's why it pisses me off,” I grumbled, plopping myself next to her. "I don't even know why I thought I needed to apologize. I did nothing wrong."

She rolled over on her back to get a better look at me, her eyes narrowed. “What!” I snapped. She smiled softly. 

"You did cuss him out very loudly and colorfully after a basketball came, love," she reasoned. I stared at her.

"I - I think I had a very good reason to do so. I mean, come on, he cheated with Amber! Of all people, he chose her," I whined.

"Olivia, you slapped him."

"I was very very very mad at that time. And, he deserved it!" I protested. I crossed my arms in a silent protest. She just smiled. "What?!"

“You're not mad, Liv, you're hurt,” she sighed. "Your hurt that he chose another girl after 4 years of you guys being together.

“No,” I said curtly. She tilted her head at me, giving me her Are you sure look, along with her sad dark amber eyes. “I am not hurt,” I repeated, sternly. "I am angry, frustrated, and sad. But not hurt."

“M’kay, Liv. Whatever you say,” she said, clearly not believing me. I rolled my eyes. 

“What’s next on my list?” I asked, peering over Cassi’s shoulder to look at the paper she held in her hands. She scoffed.

"Way to change the subject, Liv," she said dryly

"Yeah, I'm pretty good at that," I countered proudly.

Step 2: Lose 15 pounds

She looked at me, a single eyebrow raised. “Seriously?” she quired. 

“What!” I protested. “It sounded like a very reasonable goal for my new year,” She continued to look at me, "At the time," I added.

“Liv, You lost like 30 pounds in 2 months. I don’t think that's particularly healthy,” she replied matter of factly. 

“How not? I ate regularly, drank my water, and worked-out to get in shape for basketball," I inquired.

“You already were in shape from traveling softball!"

“Not enough to chase a ball back and forth on a court, fighting off all the other dogs, I mean girls.” I smiled sweetly as she just shook her head. 

"Dogs? Really?" she asked.

"What? Would you rather me call them bitches? I would gladly do so."

"That's just not nice Liv," Cassie tutted.

"Whatever, I still accomplished my goal," I protested.

“I know, I know. It's a check.” I sat back, sastistfied.

Step 3: Finish Tale of Two Cities          

“I did that,” I exclaimed proudly. She looked at me weirdly. “What?” I said timidly.

“You actually took the time to sit down and read that damn book?” 

“Um, yeah?” I answered self-consciously. 

“What was it about?” She asked

“Uh, before and during the French Revolution and a love triangle. Lucie chooses Darney, by the way. Sydney Carton dies, as well. But then he comes back to life. They both loved Lucie. ” 

“Good to know, since I won’t be reading it,” she said before I could reply. “Moooving onnn with another check!”

Step 4: Quit FFA

“You did that, right?”

“Fuck yeah I did!” 

“Okay that's a check. I’m proud you did that by the way,” she said, glancing up at me. I frowned. 

“Why?”

“Because for once you weren't worried about hurting someone's feelings,” she replied softly. 

“Oh,” was all I said. 

"That teacher was a bitch too."

"Yeah, she was," I agreed.

Step 5: Go to a concert

“Whose concert did you want to go to, Liv?”

“Anyones, really. I just want to be able to experience the concert feeling,” I replied. 

“Okayy. So you would go see Taylor swift?” 

“No.” I said sternly. 

“But-”

“No,” I repeated. “Not now, and not ever. You know how much I despise her.”

“Okay,” she said sadly. “So, you didn't go to any concert this year?”

“Unfortunately, no,” I replied. 

“Okay, then. We can definitely make that happen this new year," she promised. And of course, I'm going to hold her too it.

Step 6: Do less emotional eating

“That's a definite no,” Cassie said. 

“Wha-” She cut me off with a look

“You know damn well you ain’t accomplished that, Liv,” she replied. I closed my mouth. 

“Hmmp '' I grumbled. I knew she was right, but I was still going to take the opportunity to pout because like, why not? In my defense I had gone through a harsh, dirty, and unruly break-up, fought with my mom, and lost my exam book. Of course I was going to do some emotional eating. How else would my stress get relieved?

“Okay?”

“Okay,” I grumbled

Step 7: Tell Cassie she is the bestest of best friends in the entire damn universe. No, Galaxy. Actually in the entire matter of existence. The bestest ever. 

She looked up at me, getting teary eyed. 

“Really? You mean it Liv?” she asked softly. 

“Of course! I mean, I’ve been stuck with you since forever. Who else am I going to gossip to? You're like the Enid to my Wednesday. The peanut to my butter. The Chip to my Dale. The carrots to my peas. The Steve to my Dustin. The-” 

“OKAY! I get it! Thank you, liv. I love you too. You are my bestest friend in the entire existence of matter. Thank you for demanding that we be friends in kindergarten after you saw we had the same elephant pajamas.”

“I wouldn’t go as far as demanding, but you're welcome. Love ya, Cassie.”

“Even more than you loved Carter?” She asked, raising her eyebrows. 

“Uhh, yeah?” I answered, uncertainly. 

“Mkay.”

“So is that a check?” I asked. Looking at the list. 

“Absolutely. Happy New year, Livvie!”

“Happy New year!” 

“Guess you might have made the list this yeah, huh?” she said, nudging me in the side with her elbow. 

“Yeah, I guess so.”

January 05, 2023 14:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Lily Finch
13:48 Jan 19, 2023

Your dialogue is excellent. Just watch the bulimic or anorexic tendencies with weight loss. Hitting the boy may not have been the best way to handle the boy. Pulling your story out more by describing the scene with more vivid detail of the backdrop or surroundings may be a better way to draw your story to a higher reading level. Cassie and Liv are believable, and the dialogue is rich. Liv and Cassie know one another so well that the dialogue just flows out of them. It is so natural. LF6

Reply

Olivia Rozanski
17:52 Jan 19, 2023

Thank you! I will definitely try my best in future stories to include more surrounding details. I used to be really good and giving details, I would almost take up the entire story with the amount of details. Now, its the complete opposite. Thank you again

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
21:14 Jan 10, 2023

Your dialogue is excellent. It builds up the character of the girls really well. I don’t know why she should apologise to the boy but hitting him was probably a bad idea. The weight loss sounds dangerous. It can become an addiction for some. This is great. A little more description of the surroundings would lift it up even higher.

Reply

Olivia Rozanski
13:00 Jan 11, 2023

Okay, thank you for your amazing feedback. I will work on giving more detail in my future stories. Thanks again!

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:19 Jan 11, 2023

You’re welcome, Olivia.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.