A Private Word

Submitted into Contest #219 in response to: Set your story in a type of prison cell.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Teens & Young Adult

Chico paced in the courthouse basement jail.  The bailiffs forcibly removed him from the murder scene and threw him into the damp cell.  Will and Chang guarded him in silence near a bright torch.  Deliberate strong footfalls could be heard cascading down the stone staircase.  Seravina turned the corner, holding the keys to the cell. Chico sat down on a dusty prison cot.  His left knee nervously bounced up and down.

             "Gentlemen, please wait at the top of the stairs.  I need a word with Mr. Chico, privately."

“Yes, ma'am.” The men walked up the stairs, waited at the top, and closed the door.

“Now before, you go all high and mighty on me.  That man had it coming.  He murdered a defenseless woman and my unborn child in cold blood.” 

“I am not here to judge you, Jak.  If I had been in your position, I may have acted the same way about my child.  Whether you did it for noble purposes or nefarious reasons, that is for the Good to know.  But you had won the case, you had won your freedom, and then you threw it all away.  Stonebraker was in custody, he would have been executed for his crimes, but now you will be executed.  I have spoken to Governor Kokinkus.  He wants you dead.”

Jak stood up and jumped to the iron bars. “But you talked him out of it, right? I can have a trial?”

“Chico, you murdered an unarmed man in front of hundreds of witnesses.  You lost all your rights.” She paced with arms behind her back.  “Because Kokinkus has emergency powers, he can make that decision.  I argued for you.  I made a motion for you to be exiled instead.  I pleaded that the Governor Prime should not make the decision alone, but rely on the wisdom of the council and the senators.  He took my advice.  He has called a secret urgent meeting of the City Council and the senators to discuss the matter at Semby Hall.  They have been in the meeting for the past hour.”

Chico sat down and mumbled. “Is there any chance?”

Seravina leaned up against the wall and explained. “A fool’s hope.  The Council is split, I believe. The men are against you and the women for you.  I don’t know the Senators.  They could go either way.  I want to be realistic, Jak.  It doesn’t look good. This is life or death.  I only regret the chance of not killing you with my own hands.” She grinned, “I have grown somewhat fond of you.”

Chico sassed, “Such comforting words, Counselor.  You really need to improve your death side manner.” 

“Jak, I have only tried to speak the truth to you.  You have some admirable qualities and would have made a fine attorney.  However, your lack of a moral compass and greed have been your demise.  If you don’t survive this, you will be missed and remembered.  If you do escape, then I believe you could change your life and have a positive impact for the good of others.”

“Thanks, I think.” He gave a sad smile.  He pointed to the cell.  “I never thought I’d be here again with you.”

“Behind bars is, officially, where we met.”

“It changed my life.  For the worse.”

“C’est la vie.”

    “I do have one final request.  A dying man’s plea.”

“I cannot guarantee I can help, but I will try. What is it?”

“A kiss.  A kiss from your sweet cold lips.  Just one.”

She pondered. “Fine.  Through the bars.”

“No.  Face to face.  Nothing between us.  My lips and mouth, pressing against…..”

“Fine.  Put your hands behind your back, fingers locked.”

Jak agreed and placed his hands behind his back. 

“Now step back and turn around so I may see your hands.”

Chico obeyed the commands. 

She used the keys and opened the cell door. “Turn around and step forward.”

He did it.

“Why do you want to kiss me?”

“Are you serious?  You are gorgeous, smart, cunning, elegant, and most of all deadly.  I have never met anyone like you.  A lady with class, who has taught me the error of my ways.  I want to be a better man because of you.”  His black eyes sparkled, “Seravina, if I could only taste your blessed lips once before I die, then I can pass this world, happy and complete.”

Seravina blushed and moved a loose strand of hair behind her right ear, “Jak, I didn’t know.  I didn’t know you felt that way toward me.”

 She stepped closer to him. “I feel the same way. It has been so hard to resist your charms.  Your subtle flirtations.  Your manliness.  It would be my pleasure.  I long for you.  Step closer.”

Jak stepped inches away from her full lips.  He peered into her green eyes.  He closed his eyes and slowly leaned forward.           

She closed her eyes.  She heard a leaky pipe dripping in the far corner. A hungry mouse scurried across the cell.  She heard Chico's racing heartbeat. His muscles tensed.  She felt a tiny vibration in the air around his forehead.  A bead of sweat rolled off his cheek and splashed to the dirty floor.  She sensed his eyes open.  The air vibrated as his sweet demeanor soured into an angry grimace.  His neck muscles strained backward slightly.  He snapped his head forward, toward her elegant nose. 

Within millimeters of impact, she dodged the headbutt.  She side-stepped his attack.  She pushed him forward, using his momentum, and slammed his head into the unfazed iron bars.  She tossed his unconscious and limp body on the old cot, which snapped and collapsed.  She closed the gate and locked it. 

“Night night, Jak.  That is the only kiss you will ever get from me.  I have handled serpents far more subtle than you.  Better man, indeed!"

 Chang and Will heard the noise and charged down the stairs. 

Will asked, “Everything fine, Lady Seravina?”

She straightened out her dress and hair. “Yes. Thank you.  Mr. Chico is taking a nap.  I am going to Sembly.  I will bring you back lunch and any news of his fate.  If he wakes up before I return, give him some water and a bandage for that cut and bump on his forehead.”

“Yes, ma’am.” Chang said. “I never want a private word with you.”

She gave him a wicked smile and climbed victoriously back up the stairs.

October 10, 2023 20:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.