Little do they know Part 2

Submitted into Contest #85 in response to: Write about someone fighting to keep their city neighborhood the same.... view prompt

0 comments

Crime Mystery

It's been a year now. Not a word from a person in this small city. Not even a person here actually, that’s what I believe. Well, what I used to believe. I don't know what happen to anyone in this city nor where they are. But they can't be gone without any explanation. And it's now my job to find out what happened to everyone and what happened to this small, innocent, City. My name is Kade Jinx. I don't come from a family of much, which I don't mind, I was just glad me and my family had each other and was there for each other when we could be. Wish it was like that still. Now let me start from the beginning.


It started around September, a chilly fall day. I came home from school walking home with my little brother, we're only a year apart. He's 12, I'm 13. He understood me the best and was always there for me when I needed him, and I was always there for him. But that same fall day when we got home our parents weren't there although their cars were. We waited and waited, and they never came back, from that day on I promised myself to take care of my little brother no matter what, even if I had to risk my life for him because he's the last thing I have. Well, had. Around December last year, I met this beautiful girl she looked around my age to be honest. She had beautiful brown hair, hazel eyes, and freckles. She was perfect. Me and my brother met her when we were hiding. From what? We don't know. We know it wasn't human whatever it was. I don't want to find out. But I must find out. I have a feeling that's what took everyone, even my little brother. The last time I saw him he was hiding, with another girl we met. Katy, she had big beautiful blue eyes and rosy cheeks. She was at least a few years older than everyone. And the last person I saw was Taryn, the girl with hazel eyes, I looked away from her for a second and she was gone, it wasn't even for a second. Now it's my job to find them. All of them. And everyone.


It's currently been a year and few months since this has happened, since I saw Taryn, the last person I've seen. It's around the middle of April right now, first time I don't feel alone for some reason. Like as if someone or something is watching me. I look around but no one is there. I'm not going to lie I have a lot of freedom, no one is telling me what I can and can't do, I don't have a curfew, I can eat what I want, well eat what I want is hard when a lot of stuff has expired over the months. But everything isn't so bad. Other than being alone and the only person in your city. I can't believe it took me over a year to decide it's time for me to do something, something to help find everyone. But how? I'll find out as I go on. I'll plan while I move. And I'm going with my guts. And soon. I'll either be caught, find nothing, or find them.


Here I am, it's around 2:00 P.M., I'm getting a backpack and getting stuff I'll need since I don't know how long till I'll be back home or if I'll even be back home at all. I go outside and get my bike, and as I hop on, I have this weird gut feeling, I try to ignore it, but it got worse for some reason. I thought to myself, “I need to go with my gut, find out what I need to do so it feels right.” I'm on my bike and just following my guts, I took I don't even know how many lefts and rights and lefts and rights. I'm now in a part of my city I didn't even have a clue that existed to be honest. It gives me weird vibes like somethings watching me, like I'm about to get jumped at. I stop for a second then my stomach went crazy, so I decided to keep on going and it calmed down. Not paying attention I made it to a weird looking tunnel. I had a feeling I should stop, so I stopped before I entered the tunnel and my stomach stopped hurting completely. I looked around the tunnel before I went in and a hole in the ground caught my eye. Then I got this overwhelming feeling, and I felt like I had no control of my body, I went towards the hole and in seconds it went black. My body feels so cold and hurts so much.


I groaned as I got up, from that 7-foot drop. I opened my eyes in shock. My body froze in fear. What I see is like nothing before. Under this whole city, there is cages full of people... too many to count. From what I see they all look like their hypnotized. They have weird bandages over their eyes, and they all repeatedly say, “three, three, three, three”. But three what. At this point I think my guts are controlled my body I went up to this woman and took her bandage off her eyes I waited for a min because it looked like she was standing their brain dead. Then suddenly the women snapped back to the real world. She looked me in the eyes and said, “save us all, before you get caught, your one of the last three.”

“Last three what.” I commanded.

“last three people that haven't been caught. Get those keys over there and let me out. I'll help you take off everyone's cursed blindfold.”

So much is going on in my head. I have so many questions. I'm so confused. But there's no time for any of that. So, I listen to the lady. I took a blindfold off one person from each cage and told them to take off everyone's blindfold in the cage and for them to do the same with everyone else.


Hours and hours and more hours past. People were climbing out of this hole and out of the tunnel, people were getting as far away from here as they can. Family have reunited. Except for me and my family... Not everyone made it that went missing, including my family. I just like to think of how proud they would be of me. I like to think what would have happened if I didn't have the guts to do what I did today. I guess one day really can change everything. Within a month everything went back to normal, I'm aware this city may never be the same again, and it's going to take time for things to feel right. Lots of families moved out of this city after what happened. No one dares talk about what happened because some believe it could happen again. But my question is. What were these things planning on doing? How long did they plan on keeping this up? What were they going to do to all these innocent people? Where are they now? Are they going to come back? Did they give up? Or are they planning something evil... I guess we'll never know. That's the thing about this city. You may never know.

March 16, 2021 15:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.